• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Foreigners / Violence

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beni Juji

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
I`m sure that a lot of people on this forum have heard about `Gaijin Hanzai File` and some recent manga like `Kenkanryu` that use manga to make gaijin / foreigners out to be criminals, threatening, or just bad people.

I`m curious about anime and manga that use the opposite image - foreigners as victims of violence / racism in Japan. Can anyone on this forum point me in the direction of some anime or manga titles that depict Japanese victimizing foreigners in Japan?

I know of the following -

`Go` - Korean girl murdered
`Ron` - Discrimination against Koreans in Japan in the 1930s
`Jiraishin` - Violence against recent immigrants
`Super Doctor K` - Japanese doctors selling the organs of immigrants
`Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig` - Lots of state violence and discrimination against refugees.

There are lots of `war` manga / anime like `Melody of Jenny`, `Barefoot Gen`, etc. that use these types of images but I`m more interested in peacetime stories.

Can anyone think of anything (either anime or manga, translated or untranslated)?
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
I don't know why Japan is so special with foreigner-related violence. It's not like it doesn't happen in all parts of the world and soon spreads into the culturistic media. I can't really think of any Anime or Manga off the back of my hand that relate anything to this, but thought I'd add my view.
Beni Juji

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Japan is not special in this regard. In fact, Japan has had little violence against foreigners since 1945. However, there are incidents in Japanese history like anti-Korean riots, etc. I think that it is a GOOD thing that anime/manga deals with these difficult things. My question is not critical of Japan, but I am very interested in anime/manga that are. I think that critical popular culture is a good thing for a country.

In the meantime, I`ve thought of another manga that has violence against foreign characters by the Japanese police - `Abaren Bunya`. Can anybody else help me out here?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
I have seen instances where foreign born people have been a bit "offensive" or violent towards Japanese people. This has been portrayed well in Barefoot Gen because IT REALLY HAPPENED. In fact, I even saw an attempted rape in a J-drama also. But the fact of the matter is, the Japanese committed atrocities during WWII, and it might have been seen as coming back to them as Karma.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
'Cos we all know killing thousands of innocent civilians almost instantaneously was not an atrocity.

Basically it's irrelevant who commits it only that it is committed.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It does go both ways, and i think fighterholic knows both things that occured were atrocities. He knows this which is why he said it was karma. I don't think it was karma though. I am sure we all wish none of it happened to begin with. Anyways no I can't really think of any, other then the ones you named about the opposite happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1