• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Swindled?!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xlll

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
All right, I know this isn't necessarily anime related, but hey, we should get a burst of fresh air once in awhile. Well on with the news already, I recently stumbled upon an amazing news article that cynically laughs before the faces of our friendly everyday Japanese. Carrying on though, I present you this never-ending last piece of entertainment in yesterday's (April to be precise) news:

THOUSANDS of Japanese pet owners were swindled into buying half-price "poodles" that were actually sheep, it was reported today.

It wasn't until a film star appeared on a talk-show program and wondered why her new poodle wouldn't bark that the swindle was uncovered, the story said.

Quote: "It's not uncommon to see people walking exotic dogs down the street here – whippets, greyhounds, huskies and poodles of course, with all manner of ribbons and some very exotic grooming to match," wrote Dustin of Sendai.

"The ironic thing is (the sheep owners) did get a bargain! When you see the price of meat in Japan, you will understand. They would quadruple their money!
" he wrote.

Quote: "That is the funniest thing I have heard in ages tears of laughter rolling down my face at the sheer thought of it," wrote Helen of Tasmania.

So, what thought came across your mind after reading this snippet of a news article? Any quick remarks, comments, questions (though it explains itself), and even one-sided rants is much appreciated. Enjoy!

Source: Japanese Swindled?!
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering how you can mistake a sheep for a poodle. That's quite an odd piece of news.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Anime?
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Anime?

Perhaps at least of out of the thousands of Japanese were Anime producers. =/
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
how in the world do you not know the difference? seriously. Laughing

EDIT it's not even real, so you might as well lock this: http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/poodlesheep.asp

Last edited by v1cious on Sat May 26, 2007 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
how in the world do you not know the difference? seriously. Laughing

I discovered a way- genetic engineering.
Xlll

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
EDIT it's not even real, so you might as well lock this: http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/poodlesheep.asp

Well, I guess it was amusing to read to say the least.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
i guess it was a good read
*goes to buy a poodle, i mean sheep* ;D
10円

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Supersonic Master wrote:
I'm still wondering how you can mistake a sheep for a poodle. That's quite an odd piece of news.

I'm still wondering how people can mistake FAKE news for REAL news. This bogus story was repeatedly passed off as actual news by multiple subsidiaries of Rupert Murdoch's anti-reality mega-conglomerate News Corp. You know, the same folks who own the national disgrace known as FOX NEWS right here in good old gullible America, which unsurprisingly also ran this fake story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_corp

The next time you read a story that seems too stupid to be true, especially stories about absurd lawsuits from tort reform fan boys, keep in mind what kind of source it's coming from. Companies like News Corp don't care about being honest, they only care about making sure you're still watching them. If entertaining lies and partisan propaganda are more likely to get eyeballs than honest journalism, then you can bet the liars and propaganda artists will be the folks getting all the air time.

And that's basically where our domestic journalism has been going since the mid-1980's when loss-leading internal news bureaus were transitioned under the profit-driven entertainment divisions of their owners. That's why your national news is littered with partisan rhetoric and your local news is littered with stories about drugs and violent crime. Why give them news they can use when you can keep them coming back for more with nonsense stories that make you laugh, sicken you, or titillate?
Xlll

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
I'm still wondering how people can mistake FAKE news for REAL news. This bogus story was repeatedly passed off as actual news by multiple subsidiaries of Rupert Murdoch's anti-reality mega-conglomerate News Corp. You know, the same folks who own the national disgrace known as FOX NEWS right here in good old gullible America, which unsurprisingly also ran this fake story.

Um, I just happen to stumble across it like I previously written in my first post, so I couldn't careless if it was fake or not considering I posted it out of sheer "entertainment". I mean, its healthy to laugh your worries off once in awhile since it seems ANN forums, well the anime forum specifically, got quieter or less lively. Oh well though like I said before, at least it was amusing to read to say the least, no need to be overly protective about it since v1cious took the time to correct me and left it at that. But thanks for the brief insight anyways.
10円

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Xlll wrote:
Um, I just happen to stumble across it like I previously written in my first post, so I couldn't careless if it was fake or not considering I posted it out of sheer "entertainment". I mean, its healthy to laugh your worries off once in awhile since it seems ANN forums, well the anime forum specifically, got quieter or less lively.

This wasn't meant as a personal attack, honestly, but this long-lived issue still begs me to drag out my soapbox. I've seen this same story on multiple anime forums where people who otherwise seemed intelligent suddenly slip into some sort of condescending " Japanese. Rolling Eyes " or " Women. Rolling Eyes " post as though no brush is too big to paint with. That sort of self-inflicted ignorance is believable when a naive Texan hick is reading a story about a country he couldn't possibly care less about, but we're anime fans; we should know something about Japan and we should easily realize that this story is nonsense right from the get-go. I mean, wouldn't you think that people who are interested in Japan would know better than to think thousands of Japanese would be completely clueless as to what sheep look like?

There are so many REAL issues that are every bit as absurd as this story but that are also true. Why not focus on them instead? Why does everything have to be written for the sensibilities of a fifteen year old? Why can't we get real news anymore? If they simply added another fake news devision and advertised it as such then that might be workable, but they REPLACED our real news with fake news and then expected us to not notice the difference, or at least not to care. When you realize that the blatantly fake news programs like the Daily Show and Real Time have more honest journalism than all the "news" networks put together you begin to realize that odds makers were right all along. We really don't give a damn if we know the truth or not.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
It is not without some consternation that I must admit that I am 100% in agreement with 10円 on this subject. Having fallen for a (bigotry-laden) fake news story and posted it here (not to mention that it's totally off-topic), why on Earth, XIII, would you think that it can somehow be justified as "entertaining"?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, so the news story is fake and it's not even on topic, not to mention now the topic has even gone off the initial topic of the post so I'm going to go ahead and just shut this one down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1