• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RahXephon vs Evangelion? Similarities/Differences

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
I saw Eva a while ago and more recently saw Rahxephon. Im wondering about some of the similarities between the two. I would think most of you who have seen both would agree, at least on the surface there are alot of similarities.

Just to name a few:
- Mecha, but are not simply manmade mechanical robots. They and somewhat "alive" or "magical" or w/e you wanna call it.

- The enemy is a mysterious Alien creature. They are/use giant robot/creatures similar to the mecha themselves.

- the main characters are a teenage boy who has been dragged into the conflict and a young woman who works for the organization fighting the enemy.

Im just listing a few examples here. There are definitely alot more. If anyone wants to point these out feel free. What about more subtle elements too? or what about differences between the two?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Im just listing a few examples here. There are definitely alot more

I thought that I let you know we had a similar thread sometimelast year, if ya want poke around through it...

Although I'd love to hear more people opinions on both of these series similar and different natures. I am just going to point at one thing real fast, Both series I find have AMAZING music, ya can't go wrong with either ending in my opinion.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of a random difference, but the Eva opening theme had a tendency to get stuck in my head for days on end, while the Rahxephon was pretty forgettable imo.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'd say the similarities are almost completely superficial. Yeah, they've both got the robots that aren't just robots, and there are obvious parellels between Ayato and Shinji, or Rei and Qwon, but there is far more that seperates the two series than unites them. The symbolism is different (Christian mythology vs. music and time), the motivational force for the main characters are different (Ayato pilots the Xephon because he can, Shinji pilots the Eva because he wants acknowledgement from his father), and real story is different (RahXephon is spoiler[a love story], NGE seems more a coming-of-age story).

Edit: spoiler added for sake of a civil resolution. Although I believe spoiler[calling RahXephon a love story isn't really a spoiler because from the beginning of the series Ayato is obsessed with the girl in the yellow dress. ]

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia, the fact that spoiler[RahXephon is a lovestory] is a major spoiler and you should probably put it in spoiler tags.

I actually don't know whether this is a similarity or a difference but both protagonist's parents have a huge role in each series. Ayato's mother being spoiler[the Mu leader] and Shinji's mother being spoiler[I still don't know what she is].

As a spoiler[love story] RahXephon is excellent and rivals even the most prominent of the genre, but as a mecha or action series I would say that it definitely borrows a bit too much from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I also agree that the music in both is outstanding Smile [/spoiler]
Moros

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:40 am; edited 3 times in total
konton

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:

Quote:
the story about the blue cherry blossoms in RahXephon is actually kind of creepy

It's funny that you mentioned the cherry blossom. I began reading Tokyo Babylon yesterday, and the story about spoiler[the corpse under the cherry tree ] was mentioned there and I knew I've seen it before. So thanks for reminiding me. Very Happy
Anyway, I don't think RahXephon's creators copied the story or anything, I guess it's a kind of an urban legend of some sort. RahXephon gave it a new meaning that suited the story.

Back to the topic: I think the ending of both wasn't too clear (at least not to me).
I loved the spoiler[happy ending ]of RahXephon, but I think I need to watch it again in order to understand it better.
UKfan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Some differences:

EVA- Shinji really is a pathetic waste of space
RahXephon- Ayato actually deals with his problems

EVA- spoiler[Shinji takes matters into his own hands Wink]
RahXephon- spoiler[Ayato sleeps with his girl. ]

EVA- spoiler[There are a number of people who can pilot EVAs, Shinji is just one of them.]
RahXephon- spoiler[Only Ayato can pilot the Xephon, the Vermillion isn't really in the same league.]

Personally I prefered RahXephon to EVA. RahXephon made me cry, EVA didn't.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Ayato's mother being spoiler[the Mu leader] and Shinji's mother being spoiler[I still don't know what she is].

I believe that Shinji's mom is actually spoiler[part of his EVA unit, it's kind of explains why it comes to life when Shinji is in trouble.]
Moros

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
UKfan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Moros wrote:

Tears of joy, I hope!

Nope, I get emotional about some things and *that* scene is one of them. EVA doesn't have anything remotely like it. There is the spoiler[Kaoru thing, but that isn't as emotional as he basically asks Shinji to squish him.]

Moros wrote:

And I do not believe Ayato does it. Her reaction and confession of love seemed to me to exclude that sort of relationship. Wondered how they shared the bed, though. Wink

spoiler[He does in the movie.]
Moros

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
calawain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I preferred RahXephon personally. spoiler[I think that the characters in Eva had very little redeeming qualities about them, they all had a serious problem that became more and more destructive as the show went on and eventually causing most of them to die because of them. The characters in RahXephon, while many had problems, they at least dealt with them for the most part rather then let them destroy themselves. I know thats probably the point in Eva, but I dislike those types of characters.] Most of the basic differences have been pointed out between piloting, mecha, etc., and again both series have great music. The biggest difference for me was that Eva is based on religious imagery and metaphors while RahXephon is based on music.

And the endings were very different, I much preferred RahXephon. spoiler[I don't like endings that make me have to interpret them or clamor all over the internet like EoE did with Shinji and Asuka out there with that hotly debated final line. RahXephon's ending was much happier with them living happily ever after in a manner. Plus the television ending from the original series with that two episodes of mental exploration was terrible, I got so confused, even if he said he'd like to live in the world anyways]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3