• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Castle Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Lighthearted and humorous, so is that a yes or no on a baby eating elf getting eaten by a giant baby? In all seriousness I do my best to avoid any information about story based game coming out because trailer and such usually spoil the entire game, so I guess it's possible that the tone of the game seriously changed since 1 and 2 I just don't know.

Yeah, Drakengard 3 is still nuts, so a giant baby invasion wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Of course, the first game already DID that, so it's passé.

If you're worried about spoilers, the character stories don't reveal anything; they just introduce the cast and their various psychological problems. Some of the DLC side-quests (Four's and Five's, for example) are spoiler-free as well, but I'd avoid any YouTube footage if you want to approach the game fresh.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I have fond memories of my time with Castlevania. Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait, Ecclesia, Lament (technically in 3D), and especially the newer Harmony of Despair are in my opinion some of the best examples of 2D platform gaming at their finest. I've also always been rather invested in the backstory of all the games.

I have fun with Judgment. I certainly think it could have been a bit better (character choice & story), but for what it is, I have lots of fun with it. It's a shame that it's hit such turbulence as of late - I tried to give Lords of shadow a try, but after hitting the giant rock.....golem....thing towards the beginning of the game, I just found it to be sooooooo pointless and boring that I went and returned it to the store - one of the few games I've ever done that with.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Why whenever someone talks about the core SMT games they have to draw some kind of comparison to Persona? I mean obviously Persona is an SMT spin-off, but the only real similarity is Persona uses the demons from SMT to fill their Persona roles. Other then that they aren't particularly similar other then being JRPGs made by the same company. Gameplay wise they are worlds apart. For one thing SMT doesn't get bogged down with living the life of a boring high school student when there are more important things going on.

Not really.

P3 and 4 use basically the same battle system as SMT3. They both use versions of the Press Turn battle system with the same rules and functions.

Persona 1 shares gameplay elements with previous SMT games of that time as well in things such as negotiations.

So they do actually have gameplay similarities among common names of things and demons and whatnot.

As for Konami. Well they are terrible and can die. The mess that is thier game side is all thier own fault. Of course they make tons of money on other things like hotels so I guess Konami will never turly disappear.

Quote:
Though when the original team disbands that's about all you can probably do, just make money off the licensing and let other people run it into the ground rather than get your own hands dirty Confused
I know it's in you're rhetoric to have your bias where you can't have anything negative about Japan. But please, the blame is not on western developer's solely. Konami forced Team Silent to Disband. Konami is the one that did'nt allow for Iga to make more vannia games. Kojima was part of the push to have a western developer take over the series. These are all choices made by the Japanese with an intent to make money and be successful ventures. You word them in a way that makes them seem like the Japanese side gave up and said "might as well make some money". You do this in an attempt to shift any blame away from them, but that's not true at all. Thier actions sure work the other way.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu May 08, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The grand prize is a Japanese copy of Drakengard 3 (or Drag-on Dragoon 3, as it's known over there) and a huge box with a handsome Kimihiko Fujisaka illustration on the front and a whole lot of Drakengard memorabilia inside.

Mmm, Fujisaka's art is beautiful. His art really helped to sell The Last Story to me (well, along with Sakaguchi and Uematsu's involvement, of course). Hope Drakengard 3 itself will hold up well enough beyond the art design.

Quote:
Within that box you'll find a Drakengard World Inside artbook, a Drakengard Chips Music album with 8-bit-style remixes, a Blu-Ray collection of cutscenes and commercials, a postcard book, the original Drakengard's script and scenario guide, an anthology of the Intoner stories for Drakengard 3, and a download code for a costume that dresses up Drakengard 3's heroine Zero like Nier's Kaine. All of this is in Japanese, of course, and it's an amazing package for anyone fond of (or morbidly fascinated by) the Drakengard games and Nier.

Yum, yum, and yum. Am a bit curious, though, as to why Squenix graced you with the Japanese version/memorabilia rather than the more 'common' limited edition that Square Enix is putting out this May. Just how do they love so? Smile

I suppose there won't be any translation booklets for some of the memorabilia like Aniplex USA does with their limited edition releases, huh? At the very least, toddc, does the Japanese release of the game itself come with English subtitles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Poor Konami.

-Yu-Gi-Oh games have mostly stopped production due to the online dueling programs out there cannibalizing the audience. We had to push hard for the one Zexal game we got. Amazing game, BTW. Shame we can't get more though.
-Ganbare Goemon hs stopped production to to low popularity I guess.
-Silent Hill and Castlevania have been sold off to western developers for the worse. Though when the original team disbands that's about all you can probably do, just make money off the licensing and let other people run it into the ground rather than get your own hands dirty Confused
-Metal Gear Solid is about all they have left, thanks to Kojima no doubt.

I guess nothing gold can stay in the end.

You forgot to mention them killing off Suikoden.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Ganbare Goemon hs stopped production to to low popularity I guess.

CrownKlown wrote:
You forgot to mention them killing off Suikoden.

Don't remind me. My two favorite Konami franchises, gone forever. ;_;
TokyoOctopus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I miss the hell out of GameFan.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Poor Konami.

-Yu-Gi-Oh games have mostly stopped production due to the online dueling programs out there cannibalizing the audience. We had to push hard for the one Zexal game we got. Amazing game, BTW. Shame we can't get more though.
-Ganbare Goemon hs stopped production to to low popularity I guess.
-Silent Hill and Castlevania have been sold off to western developers for the worse. Though when the original team disbands that's about all you can probably do, just make money off the licensing and let other people run it into the ground rather than get your own hands dirty Confused
-Metal Gear Solid is about all they have left, thanks to Kojima no doubt.

I guess nothing gold can stay in the end.

Konami just launched a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game on XBLA/PSN for 360/PS3 last month. It's developed in Canada, but that was Konami's decision. Evidently they yield a higher return on F2P phone trash than retail video games.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I have fun with Judgment. I certainly think it could have been a bit better (character choice & story), but for what it is, I have lots of fun with it.

Nice to see someone else liking Castlevania Judgment. Yeah, I can understand why people didn't like it, but I found it to be a very fun fighting game that definitely delivers a good challenge, even when fighting the CPU; shame that Time Reaper is so freaking annoying to beat on the highest difficulty. Also, there was some surprising hidden depth in Judgment, mainly through item canceling, but most people didn't seem to really give it enough attention for that depth to really be discovered.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Konami just launched a new Yu-Gi-Oh! game on XBLA/PSN for 360/PS3 last month. It's developed in Canada, but that was Konami's decision.

Millennium Duels is an extremely barebones Yu-Gi-Oh game, but since it's outsourced that's to be expected. No story mode, no visual novel elements like choosing partners and forming relationships, cutscenes, and all that stuff. Pretty much just one of those dueling program.

I'm going to assume Konami will do a "1 game per series" rule now if Zexal is anything to go by. Arc-V probably won't get one until the end of it's run
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I wonder if Casey Loe is still in the busi--

https://twitter.com/snowjew/status/464614568019644416

Casey Loe wrote:
@Mr_GT_Chris If gays being forced into straight relationships is a problem, how does forcing straights into gay relationships fix it?

LaughingHAHAHHAHALaughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2