• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore: Worth Reading (See 1st Post For Thread Info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
For all of you reading the English version, I bought volumes 8-12 of the Japanese version and have finished volume 10. If I were to write about everything I have read this post will be about two pages worth, so I'm going to write about the first thing that happened and go from there.

Volume 8: spoiler[Claire kills Ophelia]. Wink
BigSmokin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to this thread, Claymore is going to be second on my list, after Death Note.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
After reading through the 12 volumes, this is actually a fairly shounen series, which isn't something I'm particularly interested in. But Claymore has just enough twists and turns to keep me interested, that plus up to volume 12 with the events of volume10-11 mainly, there is alot of potential for several characters, particularly one that has not shown up in awhile.

Overall, the premise is what's running the series. The themes and other components of the series are typical shounen. But the premise, mainly with presenting many sides of power at conflict, has great potential.

There is only one complaint I have about the series at this point. In a few instances, the series killed off several characters too quickly, without giving them chance to develop. I'm ok with death count, but characters who may have had potential with the plot development were being taken out too quickly. I'd favor a smaller set of characters for the same effect in place of this one, but that's just me.

For people who check this out, the story really does not pick up till after volume 4 or so iirc. That said, this is a surprisingling good series.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Thanks guys! Smile I'm sure you'll see more in the future from me (most likely to be unintentional Wink). And I think you're right, Jedi General, about the puns. Maybe Studio Bones picked it up on purpose, due to it's name?

I highly doubt that that pun was unintentional. It's just too obvious. But, it'd be pretty funny if it were unintentional.

BrothersElric wrote:
Quote:
Yup. Awesome indeed. spoiler[That could be what she's shooting for. She did say that she wanted to get stronger after all. What better way to accomplish that goal then by taking the powers of the top (or former top) Claymores?]

Quote:
spoiler[About Clare, though, I don't think it's intentional that she's getting everyone's powers. Teresa was, of course, the only choice for her, when she was younger. But now, I think she's just trudging straight forward on her quest to get to Priscilla. And since Ilena gave Clare her own right arm, Ilena said Clare now had half of her own power. Even fighting the awakened Ophelia, she told Clare that she was much stronger and faster. Also, remember that Clare is an offensive type, and couldn't regrow her own limbs, but Ilena is a defensive type, and can. So giving Clare her right arm wasn't that big of a deal. But is was Ilena's choice to give it to Clare, not Clare's own. So, it's not intentional, but more coincidental. And I'm definitely beginning to think Patchwork may indeed be a good name for our heroine. Anime smallmouth ]

Well, the way I see it is that spoiler[yes, it was due to the fact that she really had no say in the matter in either cases, but after Ilena gave her her right arm, she began to figure that getting the powers of the other 3 top 5 would be the best way for her to gain the power she's looking for, since she's already got the first 2.]

Good points, Not a Jellyfish, but BrothersElric made a good point also. I think you both are right. Clare did indeed have no choice in the matter of gaining the abilities of Teresa and Ilena, but like BE said perhaps she's decided to go ahead and try to gain more powers as a result?

BrothersElric wrote:
Quote:
Yes, not only do some of them look similar, many of their names have an "A" or an "E" in them. Many of the names have an "L" in them too. It really does get pretty damn confusing at times.

Yeah, I know! And the other thing I realized is how a lot of the names end with similar letters, such asspoiler[ Ilena, Pricilla, Teresa, Ophelia, ect.]

Yeah, that's kinda what I was referring to with my post. The naming scheme is quite interesting.

fighterholic wrote:
For all of you reading the English version, I bought volumes 8-12 of the Japanese version and have finished volume 10. If I were to write about everything I have read this post will be about two pages worth, so I'm going to write about the first thing that happened and go from there.

Lol, that's not much of a spoiler. That's pretty much a given already. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I highly doubt that that pun was unintentional. It's just too obvious. But, it'd be pretty funny if it were unintentional.

That's what I kind of figured. I want it to be unintentional, but nah, chances are it's not. It's still pretty funny though.

LothairMantelar made a pretty good one a bit earlier. Man, the puns in this thread are just becoming insane!Laughing

fighterholic wrote:

Lol, that's not much of a spoiler. That's pretty much a given already. Wink[/quote]

I'll say! Wink Luckly, it was, otherwise I'd be beating myself up pretty badly for not resisting to look at the spoiler tags. I've got to be more careful in the future!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

That's what I kind of figured. I want it to be unintentional, but nah, chances are it's not. It's still pretty funny though.

LothairMantelar made a pretty good one a bit earlier. Man, the puns in this thread are just becoming insane!Laughing

Actually, that's the same (unintentional) pun Not a Jellyfish made earlier in this thread if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Ah, here it is:

Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Not a Jellyfish: The spelling for "Clare" is actually the original way the name "Claire" was spelled. Here's what my book of names says:
Quote:
Lat. "Bright." The original form was Clare, as in Saint Clare, 13th-century founder of a Franciscan order of nuns. In the 19th century Clara became fashionable, but since the 1960s, the French form of Claire has dominated.

Oh, I never knew. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I actually just finished up volume 3, and I really like the direction the story is going now. Seeing Clare's past in the Teresa of the Faint Smile arc is really cool. I might just have to pick up volume 4 like tomorrow. Anime smallmouth Hehe. Thanks to everyone who recommended the series!

Edit: I just realized that there was a TERRIBLE, unintentional pun in the second sentence of my post. If you can pick it out, it's worth the laugh.

Brother's Elric wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Jedi General wrote:
Lol, that's not much of a spoiler. That's pretty much a given already. Wink

I'll say! Wink Luckly, it was, otherwise I'd be beating myself up pretty badly for not resisting to look at the spoiler tags. I've got to be more careful in the future!

Yes, I'm so glad it was an obvious one. Fighter's "wink" kinda gave away the fact that it was an obvious one, but yeah, I too need to be more clareful about them there spoilers. I'm always finding myself victim to an accidental reading of a spoiler on Wikipedia, let alone reading one on purpose here on ANN. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I read up to volume 12, and I have to say that it's been an exciting read. Throughout my reading, it seems spoiler[that there are certain parts of the country controlled by different awakened beings. One controls the north region, another controls southern region, and another controls the western region. The northern being is from when the Claymore syndicate was still using male warriors, and the other two are female. The one in the west, Liful, was the syndicate's first Number 1 ranked warrior.]

spoiler[Oh, and Claire dies in volume 11.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The temptation to read those spoilers for volume 12 is great. Must resist until English volume is available.

Knowing Viz, that'll only take a year or so. Wink

So jealous of those who read Japanese.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The temptation to read those spoilers for volume 12 is great. Must resist until English volume is available.

Oh yes. I'm itching for more Claymore, but I know I'll regret willingly reading those spoilers in the long run. Still, the temptation is quite the strong one. I must fight to keep myself from "awakening" and reading those spoilers. Wink

JG crouches in a corner, a la Shinji from Eva.

"I mustn't allow myself to read the spoilers ... I can wait ... yes, I can wait until 2008 .... right?"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
You guys stay true to yourselves for the most part. Over in the FB thread everybody reads the spoilers even if it means they find out what happens in the end. Takes away the fun in a way.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Oh yes. I'm itching for more Claymore, but I know I'll regret willingly reading those spoilers in the long run. Still, the temptation is quite the strong one. I must fight to keep myself from "awakening" and reading those spoilers. Wink

"I mustn't allow myself to read the spoilers ... I can wait ... yes, I can wait until 2008 .... right?"

*Imitates Rakki* No JG Don't do it!!! Crying or Very sad Don't read those spoilers!!!! Crying or Very sad I just care too much about you're ability to enjoy this series to let you go and ruin it for yourself!!! Crying or Very sad Please JG!!! Crying or Very sad You have to fight it!!!! Crying or Very sad I don't want to see this happen to someone who enjoys this series as much as I do!!!! Crying or Very sad If you do it, I don't think I could ever go on!!! Crying or Very sad Please JG!!! Crying or Very sad Fight it!!! Crying or Very sad PLEASE!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah, It's gonna be tough for me too. Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

*Imitates Rakki* No JG Don't do it!!! Crying or Very sad Don't read those spoilers!!!! Crying or Very sad I just care too much about you're ability to enjoy this series to let you go and ruin it for yourself!!! Crying or Very sad Please JG!!! Crying or Very sad You have to fight it!!!! Crying or Very sad I don't want to see this happen to someone who enjoys this series as much as I do!!!! Crying or Very sad If you do it, I don't think I could ever go on!!! Crying or Very sad Please JG!!! Crying or Very sad Fight it!!! Crying or Very sad PLEASE!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yeah, It's gonna be tough for me too. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now just how can I follow that one up? That was brilliant! Exactly how Raki would have done it too, complete with all the crying. Very nice.

(The two of us have just too much fun, don't we?) Wink
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Now just how can I follow that one up? That was brilliant! Exactly how Raki would have done it too, complete with all the crying. Very nice.

Well, thanks. Smile I try, anyways. Wink

Quote:

Laughing Yeah, so I've noticed! You and I make a great pair. We otta go on tour some time! Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Well, thanks. Smile I try, anyways. Wink

Quote:

Laughing Yeah, so I've noticed! You and I make a great pair. We otta go on tour some time! Wink

You're welcome. No need to be so modest though. That really was a brilliant Claymore parody to follow up my Evangelion parody. Honest! Very Happy

Heh, that's a good idea. But, we'll definitely want to hold out on that tour possibility for now. It's possible that my Suns and your Jazz could meet up in the Western Conference Finals. For all I know we could end up becoming mortal enemies. [/joke] Wink
acff

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
ack, anyone know when chapter 73 comes out? i'm dying to know what riful is talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 29