• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deleting my account

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animangachik737

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I don't really want to use this account and I don't know how to delete it, so could someone help me? please? Confused Sad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
For technical reasons, we don't delete accounts. Things done by a person, be they forum posts, encyclopedia submissions, or other, need to be tied to an account, even after that person no longer uses the account.

If you aren't interested in using ANN any more, you can just stop using it and let the account lie dormant.

-t
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
In the consumer Wintel world, when a user creates something and then the user gets deleted the child object simply becomes an orphan until a new link is created. But, in the database realm you wont normally have orphans unless something breaks. Even forums that allow you to "delete" your user account often just set a flag and don't really delete anything. It's the same thing with enterprise-level software; if somebody tries to permanently delete an employee record from within a commercial purchasing system they risk impacting everything that employee ever created or modified. The paper trail mentality lives on, even in the electronic world. Not sure why I felt like adding that but, there you go.
Rumoki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I want to have my account deleted as well (I haven't posted anything much). Coz I want to make a new one.

Unless.. Tempest, is there anyway I can change my name instead of deleting my account?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Rumoki wrote:
I want to have my account deleted as well (I haven't posted anything much). Coz I want to make a new one.

Unless.. Tempest, is there anyway I can change my name instead of deleting my account?

Actually that is something I've been meaning to ask for a while but never have, love that memory loss. Can you change people's user names while keeping the account the same? The only change I wanted was to capitalize the "p" in psycho. I nitpick about some things, stupid OCD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1