• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
wow that's an interesting insight. But first, what is Linda Linda Linda? why did they duplicate the scenes? and second, did you notice this on your own? That's really amazing..

[EDIT: Please do not quote pictures. Thanks. -TK]

yeah sorry about that TK.

I'm just wondering though, why were they inspired to use "Linda Linda Linda"?

Last edited by jetz on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
"Linda Linda Linda" is a movie about an all-girl band who plays at a high school festival. It's called "Linda Linda Linda" because they play the song "Linda Linda" by J-PUNK icons the Blue Hearts. It comes out this month on DVD through Viz.

And yes "Live Alive" was based off of this film; especially the concert part.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
I was watching the "Live Alive" episode and this scene caught my eye...
<snip>

(and jetz, you didn't exactly have to quote that whole thing-makes it hard on the dial-upers, though I'm not one of them)

Wow, that's quite interesting... I wonder if this is just an anime adaptation reference, or if the original light novel referenced the movie as well... I know the series is chock full of references to various bits of culture and entertainment, and elsewhere I've seen pictures of direct comparisons to real-life locations. KyoAni does these things well, it seems.

More on this particular reference and others in the episode: (some spoilers, as URL doesn't like to play with spoiler tags)http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/Live_Alive
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, and the 9th volume of the novel series was just released too. From what I've heard, some crazy things are introduced...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Live-action sequel (adult video, of course) to be released on May 25th.

They replaced Yuki and Mikuru... but Ryoko and Haruhi were kept the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
spoiler[North America has been licensed for Haruhi Suzumiya]

Yes. Haruhi's god powers are strong enough to own a continent. Twisted Evil
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I watched the first episode after watching the second one and learning what the anime is about. Did anybody else do this?

I mean, if you watched the first episode without knowing anything about the anime, you would end up being confused, and this is what happened to my brother. That's why I watched the second episode first, and in the end, I understood the anime a whole lot better.
I don't see what the problem was -- not only was the first episode entertaining in its own right, but there are plenty of anime out there with "confusing" first episodes. Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Key the Metal Idol, Paranoia Agent, and FLCL come to mind. I wouldn't drop a series after the first episode just because I was "confused" -- I'd press on and try to understand more from later episodes. MOHS rewards its viewers sufficiently for sticking to it past the first episode.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
jetz wrote:
I watched the first episode after watching the second one and learning what the anime is about. Did anybody else do this?

I mean, if you watched the first episode without knowing anything about the anime, you would end up being confused, and this is what happened to my brother. That's why I watched the second episode first, and in the end, I understood the anime a whole lot better.
I don't see what the problem was -- not only was the first episode entertaining in its own right, but there are plenty of anime out there with "confusing" first episodes. Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Key the Metal Idol, Paranoia Agent, and FLCL come to mind. I wouldn't drop a series after the first episode just because I was "confused" -- I'd press on and try to understand more from later episodes. MOHS rewards its viewers sufficiently for sticking to it past the first episode.

I watched the second episode first because my brother said I should do that instead. He said he found the first episode confusing, and I should watch it after 5-6 episodes.

When I finally watched the first episode I said "It isn't that confusing. I could've watched it first"

And you're right. The anime does reward the viewers for sticking to it past the first episode. Even though I understood it better in the end, maybe it would have been more fun and exciting if I watched it in the order it was supposed to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I watched it in the order it was supposed to be.

The release order was the order that was supposed to be. Razz Why? Because it forces people to piece the anime together on their own.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
The novel series also mimics the episode shuffling, but to a lesser extent. Actually, it's probably more accurate to say the anime series mimics the story shuffling of the novel, only to a much greater extent.

Still is pretty fun, though. Reading "Endless Eight" after "Disappearance" really made me go, "whoa, so that's what happened before...that explains it!"
lmc87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Evening guys, well i'm not gonna take the time to read through all of this thread i would be here for oh what? a month! I don't feel like reading anyone else's contributions to this thread, but you all should read mine!

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30652

[EDIT:The Haruhi thread, long as it is, is also not an exception to the "Before you post, read the thread" rule. Special hint: if you're not going to read a thread, don't blatantly say that you didn't read it. Besides, some of those questions could've been answered by looking at the info guide in the first post.~Zalis]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
lmc87 wrote:

Just a few questions now. Second season! Any news? last i heard there was nothing from the studios but i'm hoping they are working on it. Also the 9 novels, are these translated into english yet? i would love to be able to read them.

There was unofficial news of a second season supposedly to air later this year, but Kyoto Animation hasn't said anything and they are already busy through next year. They have Lucky Star this season and Clannad this starting this fall. The only way we are seeing Haruhi from them this year is if they decide to do more than one series at a time, which would be a first for them.

There are unofficial translations available for the novels on the internet, but the novels have not been licensed yet. I expect they will at some point within the next year though.
lmc87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

There was unofficial news of a second season supposedly to air later this year, but Kyoto Animation hasn't said anything and they are already busy through next year. They have Lucky Star this season and Clannad this starting this fall. The only way we are seeing Haruhi from them this year is if they decide to do more than one series at a time, which would be a first for them.

There are unofficial translations available for the novels on the internet, but the novels have not been licensed yet. I expect they will at some point within the next year though.

Yeah just what i thought, I've heard of the unofficial news but i tend to take everything i hear with a pinch of salt unless its from the studios themselves.

From what i've read these 14 episodes are only based on the first book with a few bits and peices from the others. With 8 left theres plenty of material to play with. Hopefully the books do get released here too as i would love to read them.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The first season covers:

All of volume 1
Indirectly all of volume 2 (volume 2 is the making of the movie)
All but one story in volume 3 (The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, Mysterique Sign, Lone Island Syndrome)
One story from volume 5 (Day of Sagittarius)
Two stories from volume 6 (Live A Live, The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00)

This leaves:

One story from volume 3 (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody)
All of volume 4 (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Two stories from volume 5 (Endless Eight, Snow Mountain Syndrome)
Three stories from volume 6 (Charmed at First Sight LOVER, Where did the Cat Go?, The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru)
All of volume 7 (The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya)
All of volume 8 (Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!, Wandering Shadow)
All of volume 9 (The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Two side stories serialized in The Sneaker but never published in book form (Suzumiya Haruhi Theater, The Return of Suzumiya Haruhi Theater)

Plenty of material left. However, Kyoto Animation is notorious for working on only one project at a time. Lucky☆Star is 24 episodes, and I wouldn't be surprised if Clannad will take another 24. There are also Full Metal Panic fans calling for another season too. All we can do now is just be patient. Personally, I'm looking forward to Lucky☆Star and Clannad. Lucky☆Star sounds very funny. ^_^
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
However, Kyoto Animation is notorious for working on only one project at a time.

Well, quality over quantity, right? Wink

And on the subject of Lucky☆Star, I recently got this poster with Haruhi and Konata together striking a pose. The expression on Konata's face is classic. Am greatly looking forward to the series very soon.

But you know, Aya voicing a character like Konata is just a tad bit odd. I know Aya's popular and all, but c'mon, there's roles that work for her, and roles like Konata that, well, don't work so well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 105 of 213