• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Omnibus

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the other day in Barns & Nobles that Del Rey has published Omnibus editions of NEGIMA, TSUBASA, & xxxHOLIC which include the first 3 volumes of each series for $12.95.

Does anyone know any more about this? Are they going to continue on with these like Omnibus volume 2 containing volumes 4-6? I'm mildly interested in these series and at the $12.95 price I'd be up for it but I'd rather continue buying Omnibus editions.

I know Dark Horse just released an Omnibus of Gunsmith Cats, are there any other Omnibus editions of manga out there? I like reading in big chunks.

wikipedia wrote:
omnibus (media), a book, video, or movie collecting two or more previous works by the same author, director, theme, or other unifying criterion

Titles with Omnibus editions:
Apollo's Song
Gunsmith Cats
Magic Knight Rayearth
Negima
Ode to Kirihito
Spawn Manga
Tsubasa
xxxHolic

Soon to:
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Rurouni Kenshin

Just adding useful information.

Last edited by Brand on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:30 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Anime exclamation you just picqued my interest. I haven't been there in months but I'll have to go look for this. I've been meaning to get xxxHOLIC and at only 2 bucks more you get 3x the amount as 1!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
I was actually going to comment about this! I finally picked up Negima becuase of this. Although, I checked Del Rey's website just yesterday and they don't even have the omnibi listed as releases. I can find no information about it on anything official. Nothing about the first releases or any future releases. However, I do own the Negima Omnibus, if anyone wants proof! Laughing

When I first saw them, I was pretty much in disbelief. It's only about the price of one volume for 3! And if they continue to release the omnibus volumes, I'll definitely read more of the series they've released that I just haven't gotten around to yet. Del Rey really kicks so much ass. Anime smallmouth
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Of course they do this right after I have bought 1-3 of xxxHolic and Tsubasa (I don't really have any interesting in Negima) -_-

It sounds like a pretty awesome idea though, I must say. I just wish I could have got in on it.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't seen these, but this is GREAT news. I've been meaning to get into xXxholic, and I loved Tsubasa when I jumped on board with Vol. 10 so I was planning on going back to the start of the series.

How's the binding on them, though? At ~600pgs thick, I can imagine there might be some problems with the spine of the book curling or cracking unless you're really careful with it, and there's also the distinct possibility of artwork getting buried down in the binding. Anyone who owns of these care to report?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I was actually going to comment about this! I finally picked up Negima becuase of this. Although, I checked Del Rey's website just yesterday and they don't even have the omnibi listed as releases. I can find no information about it on anything official. Nothing about the first releases or any future releases. However, I do own the Negima Omnibus, if anyone wants proof! Laughing

I've noticed Barnes and Noble tends to have some exclusive manga there. A couple of years ago they had the first 2 volumes of Trigun in hardcover edition and it was a couple dollars cheaper than paperback. It's still listed on the B&N website but it wasn't sold anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
'Omnibus edition'? What does that mean?
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

It's a REALLY fat graphic novel that collects several other graphic novels. The Gunsmith Cats Omnibus is 464 pages, for example, rather than the standard 180-200pgs of a normal GN.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
How's the binding on them, though? At ~600pgs thick, I can imagine there might be some problems with the spine of the book curling or cracking unless you're really careful with it, and there's also the distinct possibility of artwork getting buried down in the binding. Anyone who owns of these care to report?

So far the binding is doing okay. But I haven't read that far yet. I was kind of afraid of this, too, but at the price of one volume, I figured, what the heck? Plus, I got Negima, merely out of sheer curiosity since everyone else seems to love it so much. It's not usually my kind of series, but a little fan service every now and then is fun. So I don't really mind if it gets a little beaten up. Although, you are right about the artwork getting lost in the binding. I find myself always stacking the volume under other books just so that the cover stays flat, since I have to open it so far. But so far, the binding is fine.

slickwataris wrote:
I've noticed Barnes and Noble tends to have some exclusive manga there. A couple of years ago they had the first 2 volumes of Trigun in hardcover edition and it was a couple dollars cheaper than paperback. It's still listed on the B&N website but it wasn't sold anywhere else.

Actually, I've noticed this too. Which to me is odd since, locally, our B&N sells less manga than all the other book stores in town. I managed to pick up a hardcover Akira volume 1 from a B&N, too. And I was wondering if these Ominibi were exclusive. It seems they might be.

jgreen wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

It's a REALLY fat graphic novel that collects several other graphic novels. The Gunsmith Cats Omnibus is 464 pages, for example, rather than the standard 180-200pgs of a normal GN.

Exactly, for instance, like mentioned in the first post, Del Rey compiled the first 3 volumes of a series into 1 gigantic volume. And they priced it much cheaper. (Only $12.95!!)

I'm just hoping other companies catch on to this and start to release cheaper omnibus editions. ::cough::VizandShonenJumptitles::cough:: Anime smallmouth
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
Here's my take on these based on past experience.

These omnibus series are probably a one-time special that Barnes and Nobel usually run to promote popular series. They did this with Ultimate Spiderman "omnibus" and Ultimate X-Men "omnibus", combining the first 3 volume into one giant 600 page volume for a low price. But no more were to be release after that because companies lose money in the long run. However, these are great for people to get into the series for cheaps in hope that they buy the later regular volume to continue the story, at least that's what the marketing deparment are aiming for.

Remember Dark Horse and BN ran a special the first volume of Hellsing, Akira, Trigun in Hardcover format for a very low price. Nothing more was ever release after the first volume. Again, companies lose money if they continue to release HC edition for 8 bucks, so it's just all marketing. Don't get your hopes up kiddy.

I figure there would be a press release or something about this from Del Rey, oh well.

brand wrote:

I know Dark Horse just released an Omnibus of Gunsmith Cats, are there any other Omnibus editions of manga out there? I like reading in big chunks.

Aren't these usually call "wideband" version which are pretty common in Japan. There are several manga here that are wideban such as Shonan Junai-gumi (2 volume comebine into 1)
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

...But that means that they don't put in the individual covers for each manga, right? That's kind of a deal-breaker on me...(likes manga covers, like xxxHOLiC's...)
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I went to B&N after class today. They only had Negima and xxxHOLIC (which I bought). Also noticed a former priest from my church working there Crying or Very sad (awkard). The binding seems to be good enough except when I first opened the book a bunch of paper shards flew in my face. The original covers and color pages aren't in there but the translation notes are. Page counts start again from the beginning after every volume.

darkhunter wrote:

Remember Dark Horse and BN ran a special the first volume of Hellsing, Akira, Trigun in Hardcover format for a very low price. Nothing more was ever release after the first volume.

They did volume 2 of Trigun (completing the first "series") but you're right about everything else.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the Barns & Nobles hardcover editions where for volumes they were selling out of and having a hard time getting back in. I guess they struck a deal with DH to publish some volumes just for them.

The Barns & Nobles where I live has slightly less volumes of manga then our Borders but has lot more of the more unusual titles like The Walking Man and Blue. The main complaint I have for the manga section at my Barns & Nobles is the manga is in 3 different places.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
To check on the exclusivity status today, I even called my local Waldenbooks and gave them the ISBN number. They couldn't even find it in their database. So it does seem to be a B&N exclusive. Although, usually, they mark them as such. Also, I do still wonder about future releases of omnibus editions. But since it says "Omnibus edition" not "Omnibus Volume 1" I think they may be a one-time thing.

Also, I'm now more than half-way through and the binding is holding up beautifully.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Another omnibus I forgot of was Spawn. It contains the whole series, 3 volumes I believe. Oddly enough I've only seen the individual volumes in Barnes & Noble previously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4