• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Turned to Live action(other way around)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ok,as you may know, over the course of the years, we've experianced lots of popular animes that have been turned into a live action series, these following include Death Note, Evangelion, Sailor Moon, and Cutey Honey

But also, other times, it can be the other way around, sometimes a japanese live action series based on a manga gets turned into an Anime like Sukeban Deka which was a 1980's live action tv series based on a 70'a manga which was eventually turned into a 90's Anime OVA

and now I have some questions for you guys, What are your thoughts on some of these transactions,did you think it works? and what Anime would you like to see being turned into a live action series next?

for me, I think it would be kind of interesting if Haruhi Sazumiya was turned into a live action series next,because the way I see it going now with it's massive populariety on sites and on Youtube and japan, it's becoming the next overated Evangelion.

Last edited by ChronoBall X on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
Ok,as you may know, over the course of the years, we've experianced lots of popular animes that have been turned into a live action series, these following include Death Note, Evangelion, Sailor Moon, and Cutey Honey

Three out of four had manga first, and their respective live-action adaptations were of manga, not anime. The remaining one has its live-action project in hiatus for years after years...

ChronoBall X wrote:
for me, I think it would be kind of interesting if [/b]Haruhi Sazumiya was turned into a live action series next,because the way I see it going now with it's massive populariety on sites and on Youtube and japan, it's becoming the next overated Evangelion. Smile

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=400087#400087
However, many people think it might be just another Internet hoax. If so, that Japanese magazine reporter should start writing his new resume. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Okay... I'll bite. There are two examples I'd like to touch on here: Jigoku Shojo and Nodame Cantabile. In the case of the former the anime preceeded the live action series. For the latter I believe the anime was broadcast after the live action series (based on the fact that the live action TV series is out on DVD as a complete set and the anime will be released on DVD in Japan starting in April). My intent here is to touch on what does or doesn't work for me when comparing an anime series to its live action cousin.

The Jigoku Shojo anime series for me was something I started watching mid series and found interesting. I watched the earlier episodes after watching two of the middle ones. Thus I was forgiving about the general repetitiveness of the story telling at the start of the series. I simply rushed through them to get to the interesting part where I had backtracked from. All in all I found the artwork to be of a good calibre, the overall story to be reasonably interesting, the voice actors well suited to their roles and their delivery quite good. Going to the live action series I was first struck by two things: the rather wooden acting and the rather less than lavish sets and special effects. The albeit small element of fear that was present in the early going for the anime series evaporated in the live action series thanks to actors who made their characters come across as dull and clunky. The actress who played Emma Ai got saddled with the job of trying to project a dark and mysterious character whilst being saddled with visual special effects that were lifted directly out of the anime and with less impact. To make things worse, the weakness with the stories that I had forgiven the anime series of weren't brushed up on with the live action version.

On the other hand with the live action version of Nodame Cantabile I found two lead actors who can handle their material and put in wonderfully captivating performances. The over the top manga machinations were depicted faithfully in the show without deducting from their enjoyment. It's all absurd but it's played right. Good enough that I was willing to ignore the ridiculous rug that Takanaka Naoto had perched on his lid. In other words, expectations are met with respect to the comedy aspect of the story. Likewise the mellow parts, the "drama" component, are delivered with the kind of ease that made me the viewer miss the shifting of the gears as the story progressed into them. Going over to the anime one gets roughly the same material done with an artstyle that I can only assume is a good representation of what is in the manga (I haven't read it). At least I've glanced at the covers of the manga and know that the character designs for the main characters are spot on. The voice actors performances are equal to those put in by their live action series counterparts. From what I've watched of the anime series so far their delivery is hitting the target as far as characterizations go. The one minor thing I miss in the anime is the playing of instruments. Instead of the players depicting an orchestra going through their chops I get a bunch of still drawings. This is an unfair comparison between the anime and the live action show but for a show about students in a music school it's a shortcoming that takes a bit of enjoyment out of the anime. For me it stops the anime from getting to the step where I say to myself "This is pure magic: so captivating and enthralling". I'm not saying that Ueno Juri and Tamaki Hiroshi could've won me over by sleepwalking through their roles in front of the camera. Everybody in the cast put out performances that created the magic feeling that made me want to start up the next episode as soon as the one I was watching finished.

To wrap up I'll state what I believe is the obvious, "Each incarnation has to be evaluated on the basis of its own merits (or lack of)". In my first comparison I looked at an anime incarnation which worked better thanks to its production values, better (voice) acting performances and good visuals. In the second case I examined a "dorama" which pulled off a winning formula thanks to the charisma and chemistry of the lead actors, their good comic timing and the ability of the director to produce believable performances of the actors as musicians. As for "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu" I think I'm fast approaching the point of relative indifference. I have no idea how they're going to be able to pull off the special effects visuals that were so great such as the Asakura Ryoko versus Nagato Yuki fight scene, the space battle or the alternate timespace with the giants. If they fail there then in my opinion the actors performances will be squandered. But I guess we'll have to wait and see if the thing gets filmed and broadcast.
dambuilder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
The only movie of this kind I remember having watched was Crying Freeman with Mark Dacascos as Yo. Didn't click with me and frankly I can't remember too much about it. I do recall that Dacascos wasn't bad in it, I might confuse this with his good looks though. Razz

Ah, I might have seen Guyver, because I believe it was shown on tv some ten years ago. If I have, it must have been literally forgettable though.

I'd really like to see the Cat's Eye movie one day, though in first place to see if it's really as terrible as I heard. And I'll probably check out Casshern in the near future, but that's because it got a domestic release recently in first place.

As for the rest, I must admit I'm somewhat biased towards them, as I too often hear really, really bad things about those adaptations. That hardly any of them are available in Germany doesn't help.[/b][/i]
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk I think was either was a live action before the manga, or vise versa
anime#6493
AegisX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
A few weeks ago I saw the opening and ending(along with a clip) of an episode of the live action Black Jack series from the late seventies. Unfortunately I don't understand Japanese so I can't really say anything about the series. But I can say that the actor chosen to play ole' BJ was a rather poor choice physically, as he looked too old and they didn't even take the time to make half his hair white. But that's a pretty shallow thing to complain about...

Last edited by AegisX on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
Live action into anime? Depends on what kind of live action. If it's a really good story and if it's animated well, then maybe I will watch.

However, I am not a fan of anime turned into live action. I was talking to my friend about this the other day, and she asked "why don't you like watching anime turned into live action?" Here's what I explained to her: As an Otaku, you probably had a crush on an anime character before, right? Wouldn't it be different and potentially weird if you saw your favorite character crush as a real person? I mean would you also like the live action version of your anime crush? If you think about it, what would they do with bishonens? There aren't a lot of girly looking guys in real life (that aren't gay Laughing ).

I know this opinion sounded a bit shallow, if not REALLY SHALLOW. I am not afraid to admit that I did like the live action hana yori dango from Taiwan. I was so crazy about it too - and it was mostly because of the cast. So if they live action version had a real good cast and if they made it close enough to the anime, I guess it wouldn't be that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
namelissis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:

I know this opinion sounded a bit shallow, if not REALLY SHALLOW. I am not afraid to admit that I did like the live action hana yori dango from Taiwan. I was so crazy about it too - and it was mostly because of the cast. So if they live action version had a real good cast and if they made it close enough to the anime, I guess it wouldn't be that bad.

Same here!!!

Come on Jetz! Almost 75% of Filipinos watched it... LOL...
I have to say, it was pretty nice, but I like Meteor Garden 1 okay?
It was the Asiannovela that gave interest to Filipinos to watch Koreannovela... LMAO...

It's not all that bad...(still expecting that GMA wont make a crap out of Lupin)...
I have to say Gokusen and Gokusen 2 was both pretty great rather than the anime...

OMG, I live Jun Matsumoto as Shin Sawada...

Speaking of Jun Matsumoto, he was a cool lead for Hana Yori dango Japanese Version... hahaha... he was so good...

Oh, another thing that came out, Goong: Princess Hours(one of the current most watched Korenovela here) is actually based on a Korean Manga... The TV series is actually cute and I'm waiting for the sequel of it...
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
How could anyone forget City Hunter starring Jackie Chan! I personally think the film is fantastic, mostly for nerdy reasons. Despite the fights being incredibly well done, they're probably not some of Chan's best.

In 2002, there was a TV drama of You're Under Arrest!, co-starring Itou Misaki (Hermes/Aoyama Saori from Densha Otoko) which I thought was absolutely awesome, too. Itou will also be co-starring in the second Live Action Production of Maison Ikkoku, which is supposed to come out sometime this year or very early next. In the late 90s there was also the Great Teacher Onizuka drama; not sure if it was based more on the manga or the anime, but I am fairly sure the anime preceded it as well as the manga.

Then again, on the other hand of the spectrum, there was the live action Hokuto no Ken and The Guyver starring Mark Hamill ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1