• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any merit to this rumor/OHSHC Liscenced?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello I found this and well I don't want to get my hopes up just in case it isnt' true and well the other message boards I go on said that they didn't know because ANN hasn't said anything. So I thought I would just ask here- Has Ouran been liscenced. Here's a link that says it has been- is there any truth to this?

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/17841/tp/1/

PS. I hope this was okay to ask here I did a search but found nothing that was recent.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and where's their source for making this announcement? Saying that it is probably Viz is just something from their thoughts, not an official announcement.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
I hope it won't be Viz, along with Bandai they have the worst packaging and they don't even care to translate the OP and ED themes or add translator's notes and this case is really going to make it bad if Viz picked it up since Ouran is infested with Japanese culture references, so I hope the honors will go to ADV since they always add translator's note and they've been good with dubbing their comedic releases or FUNimation or even Geneon.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
what I want to know isn't who has it, but if anyone does have it. This could be made up. If that is the case, I will go cry.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
That's basically what I was asking was weither or not anyones heard anything offical or has any inkling if this rummor is true. I am not saying I believe it, I am just wondering if it's true.

I am sorta suprized that it hasn't been picked up yet-if this is untrue-since it's so good.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
I am sorta suprized that it hasn't been picked up yet-if this is untrue-since it's so good.

A few of us have speculated for a while now that there's probably a bidding war going on, since it seems to be popular enough to have been picked up for Region 1 by now. Some have also speculated that the Hitachiin's incest act might be causing some red tape - I get the idea from those who have seen the anime that they got a bit raunchier than they do in the manga. That doesn't make much sense though, seeing that the notorious Koi Kaze has been licensed.

The news sounds encouraging, but it does seem strange that there hasn't been anything official yet if a deal has been sealed.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this is true. OHSHC is one of the funniest, sweetest anime series to come out in a long time. I know it's shojo; but it has so many great moments for all genders to love.

BTW, we had a conversation at anime club about the twins. We feel it was just extreme brotherly love; and not incest. Think of them as twins conjoined to the soul. They just can't bear to be apart from one another.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope it will be liscensed by ADV or Funimation, because they handle comedies really well. Plus, if it's liscensed by ADV, the thinpak will probably have a really nice package.

Being a twin myself, I always roll my eyes at fangirls who scream incest at Kaoru and Hikaru. It's been explained that since they never had many friends as children, they have an extremely close bond. And plus, it's their act in the host club (as all the members have their own little specialty, like shota and "cool" type) and it has been shown that Hikaru likes Haruhi. So people who go say Hikaru and Kaoru are gay for each other, are just over-analyzing things or have some strange fantasies.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
BTW, we had a conversation at anime club about the twins. We feel it was just extreme brotherly love; and not incest. Think of them as twins conjoined to the soul. They just can't bear to be apart from one another.

I personally think that's obvious too, but you'd be surprised how many fangirls seem to actually want them to end up together - ironically exactly the same fangirls that the act is gently mocking.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Some have also speculated that the Hitachiin's incest act might be causing some red tape - I get the idea from those who have seen the anime that they got a bit raunchier than they do in the manga..

well yhea It is a bit more 'raunchy' then the manga and I love it - I am yaoi fangirl- Anyways if there is redtape cause of the 'brotherly' love it could be because of this part in eposide 15 spoiler[ where they wake up in bed together cause Tamaki calls them and it is reveled that Hikaru isnt' wearing anything-otherwords he sleeps in his birthday suit, you can see the outline of Kaoru's boxers/pajanma pants but you can't see anything on Hikaru. Then while Hikaru is talking on the phone with Tamaki, Kaoru is pulling him backwards so some can ahem see that scence in a special light. Then there is the Elephant scence-( it's awsome!!) Basically Kaoru is sitting behind Hikaru holding onto him in a suggestve manner, and when the twin maids come in to tell them it's time for breakfast, Hikaru pulls the blancket off of them to reveal a basically nude Hikaru except for an ahem Elephant toy placed over his ahem 'special' area- you know what I mean- The Elepant then um erupts- with streamers floatiing up from it and the Maids leave looking very embarrassed, and then Hikaru makes a comment to Kaoru about how it's not fun having their toy around(refrering to the fact that Haruhi is on vacation-well actually working) and Kaoru looks very sad. ] So as you can see this scence makes people wonder about the twins-cause um that not normal at all! Also what else could it represent other then well... Also the anime makes it look like spoiler[ Kaoru may have forbidden notions towards Hikaru- this is basically the reason for all the angsty fanfiction and amvs. ].

The spoilers I mentioned and there are more that I could point out but I won't are reasons that the majority of us twincest fangirls are convinced that there is something more to the act then what the twins even know themselves. And of course we know that their whole act is to make fun of Yaoi fangirls, but Tamaki is used to make fun of the princely charcter yet he is still Tamaki- so hence the twins could be the very thing they are trying to make fun off.

Anyways it's not because we don't realise that all their life all the had is eachother and that's one of the reasons for the bond- the show makes us wonder and actually want them to be together. Since I saw the anime before I began to read the Manga- I was already hooked on the idea of them and therefore even though it's not quite as raunchy in the manga the idea of them is to finegrained in my head. So in this case I blame all the 'brotherly' love moments in the anime and manga that happened when no girls were around.

I also think some of us like the idea of something forbidden- after all what is the number one known Shakeshere play- Romeo and Juliet.

So yeah just felt I should give you all a reason as to why this twincest fan likes it, it at least. Laughing

Also I know that things in the Manga are different spoiler[ since it is reveled that Karou has feelings for Hauhri and it's clear that Hikaru also has a crush on her. So twincest fans know that it isn't going to happen, we just want it to lol.
]
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Some have also speculated that the Hitachiin's incest act might be causing some red tape - I get the idea from those who have seen the anime that they got a bit raunchier than they do in the manga.

I dont think thats why it wouldnt be liscenced. I mean yeah, the gay inscest deal would get a few people upset, but in general its made pretty clear that thats all just an act for the fangirls, and that they arent really gay or insest. The episode where spoiler[Kaoru sets Hikaru up with Haruhi because he realises that Hikaru is in love with her tips you off to that, if you hadnt figured it out before that point.] The "brotherly love" act is worked into the story to make fun of yaoi fangirls, and not in a mean manner, but in that whole, "Look, we can laugh at ourselves!" manor. I found it absolutly hilarious watching all the swoony girls going gaga over the twins, its all there for comedy.

I think the real reason that it would be hard to release in North America is because of all the cultural referances. Like Raven Shinobi said, the show is packed with them, and I think that most North Americans probably wouldnt "get" the jokes.

That said, I really do hope terribly much that it gets liscenced. Its one of my favourites, and one that I would love to add to my DVD collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Some have also speculated that the Hitachiin's incest act might be causing some red tape - I get the idea from those who have seen the anime that they got a bit raunchier than they do in the manga.

I don't think thats why it wouldnt be liscenced. I mean yeah, the gay inscest deal would get a few people upset, but in general its made pretty clear that thats all just an act for the fangirls, and that they arent really gay or insest. The episode where spoiler[Kaoru sets Hikaru up with Haruhi because he realises that Hikaru is in love with her tips you off to that, if you hadnt figured it out before that point.] The "brotherly love" act is worked into the story to make fun of yaoi fangirls, and not in a mean manner, but in that whole, "Look, we can laugh at ourselves!" manor. I found it absolutly hilarious watching all the swoony girls going gaga over the twins, its all there for comedy.

I think the real reason that it would be hard to release in North America is because of all the cultural referances. Like Raven Shinobi said, the show is packed with them, and I think that most North Americans probably wouldnt "get" the jokes.

That said, I really do hope terribly much that it gets liscenced. Its one of my favourites, and one that I would love to add to my DVD collection.

Well think the 'brotherly' love would be the decied factor to keeping it off tv and well like I pointed out in my earlier thread their are instances where you really wonder- and that could be intruepted in the wrong way. I know it's just another way to poke fun at us all, and I am actually liking it. Hey I can laugh at myself-it's all good.

But yeah their are alot of cultural references that I didn't really get however, I still found Ouran to be love and well I think they could change the references on the English Dub part to be about N.A culture, and just keep the original's on the Subbed part- don't they do that usually anyways.

I honestly think if anything it would be the brotherly love that's holding it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1