• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Different font colors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Why are you guys against people posting with different-colored fonts? What do you think is going to happen?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Why are you guys against people posting with different-colored fonts? What do you think is going to happen?

Personally I just like black because it is the easiest color to read, once you start getting into the different colors it makes reading the pages difficult and personally I don't want to read post that have 3-4 different colors in them. I don't know why it's a big deal to use different colors other then black.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
As Deltakiral said, my it'ss simply for the sake of keeping posts readable. You ever try to read a post that has yellow lettering? It's not the easiest thing in the world to do. Though, to be fair, I have no problems with someone using a red asterisk to indicate a footer.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Have you tried reading people's writing when it's in bright pink or yellow colored? It's pretty hard on the eyes, let alone trying to decipher what they're even saying.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
If it's that hard to read, you can just as easily highlight it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
That shouldn't be necessary, it's abused far too often by people who just don't take in to consideration how difficult the colored text can be to read or just how annoying it can be. It's simply not necessary to color all your text, there's no point to it and it can be as distracting or problematic when used irresponsibly as it can be beneficial.

It's there for emphasis and that's how it should be used, to specifically highlight a chosen section of text as you would bold or italic. It's not there to give your paragraphs a rainbow text or to see how hard your text can be on peoples eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
BECAUSE 14-YEAR-OLD FANGIRLS LIKE TO POST ALL IN PINK LIKE THIS!!!!!! I recall that when they changed the site layout, people noted that the size and color tags were missing from the interface. Dan42 came on and said, "Size and color tags were removed on purpose." Of course, they're still there for those who take the time to type them out manually, but I've noticed a massive reduction in dumb all-color posts since the changes took effect. There's really no reason to make complete posts a special color, unless someone wants to be known as "that guy who always posts in all cyan." I guess it's general philosophy that identify should be defined by things like avatars, location lines, and posting style, rather than bbCode tricks.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
That shouldn't be necessary, it's abused far too often by people who just don't take in to consideration how difficult the colored text can be to read or just how annoying it can be. It's simply not necessary to color all your text, there's no point to it and it can be as distracting or problematic when used irresponsibly as it can be beneficial.

It's there for emphasis and that's how it should be used, to specifically highlight a chosen section of text as you would bold or italic. It's not there to give your paragraphs a rainbow text or to see how hard your text can be on peoples eyes.

As said before, you could just as easily run your mouse over the colored text and highlight it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
As said before, you could just as easily run your mouse over the colored text and highlight it.

You could, but people really shouldn't have to do that just to read your posts. There's simply no need for it. Now, as I said, if you want to use colored text for emphasis in a post then I don't think any mods are going to tell you to stop or edit it out, however, if you're just going to abuse it for the sake of turning your posts in to a Skittles commercial then that's simply not necessary and annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Our policy here is that it is the responsibility of the poster to make sure their posts are legible to the average forum reader, not the responsibility of the reader to make it legible.

This means that all posts must be in English, have proper spelling, grammar and punctuation as well as coherent sentence structure and finally legible font types, colors, and sizes.

-t
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
BECAUSE 14-YEAR-OLD FANGIRLS LIKE TO POST ALL IN PINK LIKE THIS!!!!!!

Couldn't have put it any better, because I can't really see that and it hurts my eyes to look at it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the color tags/codes still work on the forum. I use(d) a lot of colors for endeavors ("projects"?) such as the Haruhi thread guide, All Discussions thread, Character Tournament, etc. It makes things more organized and easier to read.

(...before someone asks "well why don't we get rid of the color tags then?")
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm pretty much okay with the color tags. They don't bother me or anything. I remember when I use to se the tags along with the word "rainbow".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I'm glad the color tags/codes still work on the forum. I use(d) a lot of colors for endeavors ("projects"?) such as the Haruhi thread guide, All Discussions thread, Character Tournament, etc. It makes things more organized and easier to read.

Yours is the proper use for color tags. Unfortunately 95% of the people who use them just change the color of their entire post for no valid reason.

-t
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh, lighten up, people. Colored fonts aren't that hard to read, are they? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2