• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why can not I see someone gender

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
All the anime sites I have been on have a place where you can see someone gender because avatars and screenames are conceiving. For example the first time I came on ANN I made of thinking that Nagisa and Pantsgoblin was girls but I later found they were not. I was wondering is there a specific reason i.e. internet predaters because I think its can fit nicely in your profile
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The simple reason is because the site administrators have chosen not to make that information publicly viewable.
C r i m s o n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
The simple reason is because the site administrators have chosen not to make that information publicly viewable.

Well, I believe that is partially true but leans more towards personal preference. I would assume ANN did not enable this sort of stats due to the fact that it's simply not worth knowing. I mean, were here to discuss about anime and news and archive that solely rests on the "world of anime," not who is who or some online dating service (IMO). Moreover, whether your male or female is simply irrelevant to anime itself. Besides, the quality of your post is simply more worth looking at than some specific gender stat.

-Crimson
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The reason that we don't display users' genders is because we don't ask for them at registration.

We don't ask for them because we don't need them.

-t
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm for the idea of leaving gender, race, age, etc. anonymous on the internet. It really diminishes the effects of racism, sexism, etc, because nobody knows any of that information about you, unlike they would by looking at you in real life. This is an advantage talking to people over the internet has over talking to people in real life, so I'd rather like this information being anonymous... Although, I'm pretty sure most people here already know my gender, but still...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, well said PantsGoblin. One of the great things about internet forum communications is it provides the freedom to develop a persona that is separate from implications of gender that is usually apparent in other forms of communication. Also the way this freedom from social stigmas is used is different from person to person. I'm not necessarily talking about ANN Forums but some people decide to reflect their actual gender in their posts, some decide to be gender neutral or a combination of both and others are a bit of something unique and nondescript to any conceived notions of gender or sexuality. I'm glad that the admins of ANN have allowed this to be possible despite being a highly renown and professionalistic community. Actually I think that's one of the things that make it such a high quality and intelligent forum community.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
I think that there's no need to let people know what your gender is in your profile. If people want to know they'll find out soon enough what you're gender is if you're on the forums enough. And sometimes we'll get people pretending to be who they're not, like the Wolverine Princess incident Laughing
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
A gender-driven conversation...
"I think Dragonball is the best anime series ever because blablabla..."
"You're a girl so shut up, 'cause this is a shonen title after all..."

So it's better to leave the gender away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
And sometimes we'll get people pretending to be who they're not, like the Wolverine Princess incident Laughing

Oh yeah. I remember that incident. Laughing I just can't believe Wolverine Princess would sport an avatar of a naked fat guy who lives in his mother's basement posting on MySpace. That's why I didn't bother coming back to ANN until everything was back to normal. Because everyone's off-topic postings on the 2nd age rating thread and the avatar thread has really frustrated me. And I was also forbiddon to sport an avatar of Spider-Man. Sad But it was glad to see everything back to normal and WP back to using avatars that best suit her. Smile

Anyways, you can tell people what gender you are in the How Old Are You thread in the Manga forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Plus if you're male and some not-regulars think you're female because of avatar or something then you can just keep quiet Smile.

its fun and its not lieing ok its just not telling the truth
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies I guess Its not a good idea to show someone gender on this forum. I thought its was a good idea because you can tell stuff like your occupation and interests in your profile.
10円

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
What a bunch of pansies. I have no reason to hide anything. I'm a male, in my early 30's, tall, white, balding, and I tend to dress fairly conservatively. Oh, and no, I'm not looking for a date. I'll be happy to link to the anime dating service thread though if anybody wants a good laugh.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
What a bunch of pansies. I have no reason to hide anything. I'm a male, in my early 30's, tall, white, balding, and I tend to dress fairly conservatively. Oh, and no, I'm not looking for a date. I'll be happy to link to the anime dating service thread though if anybody wants a good laugh.

Yeah but I have a feeling that the female members will probably be bothered with lots of PM asking them questions. I know when someone on this site had a avatar that was of a female, he kept telling me that all these guys were asking him out.......Beside is it that big of a deal if we don't know everyone sex? The members that I talk to have told me what their gender is and it doesn't change anything if they are a female.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
What a bunch of pansies. I have no reason to hide anything. I'm a male, in my early 30's, tall, white, balding, and I tend to dress fairly conservatively.

Heh, the reason you don't need to hide anything is because you're not going to be flooded with unwanted attention. It's easy to say people are pansies, but it's quite different to be in their shoes and having to deal with what they have to. Neither I, nor any other guy I know, are going to be flooded with PMs and e-mails from fan girls, but believe it or not, it does happen to girls occasionally.

I don't think the ANN users would be the type to do this, but there's no reason to go out of your way to invite trouble. Either way though, it doesn't really matter as the quality of one's opinion has no bearing on what sex they are, and it's the content of the post that matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Man, does this mean I have to quit hitting on all the men here through private message?? You know 10 yen is just in my age range, lol.

I don't particularly care that people here know I am female, but really why is it important? It seems to me to be irrelevant. I can't really think of anything a person here could say about anime that her gender would affect how I felt about her words. I'm not looking for a date, I don't need a father or mother figure, or a substitute daughter or son, for that matter. I don't take what a woman says more seriously than that which a man says or vice versa.

For me, it's not about safety, but about pointlessness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3