• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Printed Editions May Have Differences

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This is something that's been bugging me for some time now so I thought I'd bring it up in hopes that someone else might have noticed it.

I've noticed that for Psychic Academy, the first editions have a pull out poster that's not available in later printed editions.

Editions are usually near the back or front of a manga where the printing credits are. First Edition would be like: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Third edition would be like: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3, and so forth.

So my question is, are there any other manga that have a special printing?

I've noticed that some later issues of D.N. Angel don't have the shiny silver cover printing on them. I'm not sure if it was a batch or just how it is for some later editions.

Uhm, personally I feel psycho for asking this question Shocked After all, story means so much more than the little itty bitty extra.

Edit: Compilation of Special Edition Findings Follow:

• .hack//Legend of the Twilight - 1, 2, 3 (color pages for first print)
  • Alichino - 1, 2, 3 (color pages for first prints)
  • Calling You - colored pages for first print
  • Clamp School Detectives - 1, 2, 3 (limited edition poster edition)
  • D.N. Angel - Various printings have silver on the cover
  • Duklyon - 1 (colored pages for first print)
  • Eureka 7 - 1 (special edition manga version when purchased with the anime)
  • FLCL - 1, 2 (colored pages for first print)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist - 1, 2, 3 (foil covers for some)
  • Gentleman's Alliance - 1 (release came with a poster)
  • Gorgeous Carat - (colored pages)
  • Gravitation - 10, 12 (colored posters in first prints)
  • Hibiki's Magic - 1 (color pages for first print)
  • Jing: King of Bandits - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (foil covers for first prints)
  • Jing: King of Bandits - Twilight Tales - 1, 2, 3, 4 (foil covers and colored pages for first prints), 5, 6 (only foil covers for first prints)
  • Legal Drug - 1, 2, 3 (colored pages for first prints)
  • Loveless - 1, 2, 3 (colored pages for first prints) - volume 4 was mistakenly printed with no color pages
  • Mahoromatic 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (colored pages for first prints)
  • Naruto - glossy cover for some, vol.1 (gold on cover only 5,000 made. Another version with a calendar)
  • Psychic Academy - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (colored posters for first prints)
  • RG Veda - 2, 3, 4, (color pages for first print)
  • Rose Hip Zero - 1 (colored pages for first print)
  • Rurouni Kenshin - 28 (came with a poster)
  • Saiyuki - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (colored pages for first prints)
  • Saiyuki Reload 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (colored pages for first prints)
  • Scrapped Princess - 1, 2 (colored pages for first print)
  • Trinity Blood - 1, 2 (special cover with "bookmark" flap, first prints)
  • Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - 1 (colored pages)
  • Vampire Game - green cover for some first prints
  • Voices of a Distant Star - colored pages
  • Welcome to the N.H.K - 1 (colored pages first print)
  • Wish - 1 (special dust jacket and color pages) 3, 4 (color pages)
  • XXXHolic - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (colored pages for all, some editions might not have color)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh - glossy cover for some

If anyone wants to contribute that's great! Thank you so much! Also thank you to everyone that's helped contribute so far. Phew! Lots of different stuff out there. I know some translation differences were mentioned, I'm thinking of making another list of that if there's time! Also if there are corrections or more detail that you believe is needed, no problem! Just post and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by Asako on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
I found another manga that has color in the first page if you get the first edition print but have yet to verify it 100%.

Loveless first editions will have a colored page within it while the ones after the first edition will not.

Has anyone else found any others? Smile
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
This happens fairly frequently in the translated manga department. In point of fact, the full color pages are often hit or miss even within first edition print runs--some volumes will have them and subsequent volumes in the series will not. Because of this it can be difficult to make any sort of list with complete certainty.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Of course Smile

I'm merely asking if anyone knows of any that can possibly help out. I'm just being insane and trying to collect those that have these special differences. Just as someone would ask for help on identifying manga or such, I'm requesting assistance in finding manga that has this special printing.

More often than not the manga does not have special colored printings. Being rare and difficult to determine, I was hoping for help... Crying or Very sad
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I found another manga that has color in the first page if you get the first edition print but have yet to verify it 100%.

Loveless first editions will have a colored page within it while the ones after the first edition will not.

I think xxxholic does. I myself have a copy that has no color ( Sad ) but in the bookstore the other day I came across a copy of vol. 1 with a color page.

In respose to your 1st post I have seen a couple of series that have special editions. The Eureka Seven manga for vol. 1 has a regular as well as a special edition cover. The special edition cover is only available when you buy the first special edition of the anime. Also while looking through my manga collection I found that my first volume of Wish is a collectors edition. It has a dust jacket and color pages but I haven't seen a 'regular' edition to verify any differences. Also like D.N. Angel, Fullmetal Alchemist two different sets of covers. One is shiny one isn't (for lack of a better description...).
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:

Lets see...

Alichino, Gorgeous Carat and RG Veda all have volumes that the first prints had colored images in the front but, The next editions did not. Legal Drug had colored pages and some strange see thru page in their first editions and Wish had different covers and colored images in their first runs. {I'm kicking myself for missing that Dust Cover. Anime smile }

I'm betting the Trinity Blood Mangas won't have the flappy attachment to the front cover in the second run but, Still waiting to see on that.

It's good to know in advance about Loveless, Means my scrambling to get the first prints is worth it. I do so hate missing out on those lovely colored pages.

Hate it when they start a series with the colored inserts and then get rid of them in the later books. {RG Veda}
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
The first edition of Vampire Game was printed with a Green cover. Subsequent printings matched the Purple covers.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I find sometimes they translate words differently in different editions. In Ceres: The Celestial Legend, in one of their prints they replaced Japanese famous names/TV shows with famous North American names/TV shows and in another they left the names but had a note explaining so and so is a Japanese singer or TV show, etc. Also, the one where they left the names, etc. they were read right to left while the other was left to right.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
The first edition of Vampire Game was printed with a Green cover. Subsequent printings matched the Purple covers.
Wow! That got me interested in doing research on the green covers. It seems that the first 3 volumes are the only ones that have green spines? O.o

I'm still researching it. Thanks!

digitalkikka wrote:
I think xxxholic does. I myself have a copy that has no color ( Sad ) but in the bookstore the other day I came across a copy of vol. 1 with a color page.
oh no, I've got to go into my collection and dig for them now to verify them Sad

Quote:
In respose to your 1st post I have seen a couple of series that have special editions. The Eureka Seven manga for vol. 1 has a regular as well as a special edition cover. The special edition cover is only available when you buy the first special edition of the anime. Also while looking through my manga collection I found that my first volume of Wish is a collectors edition. It has a dust jacket and color pages but I haven't seen a 'regular' edition to verify any differences. Also like D.N. Angel, Fullmetal Alchemist two different sets of covers. One is shiny one isn't (for lack of a better description...).
Thank you for your help!! As soon as you said Wish had a special cover I went on ebay to go and find one. I found one YAY!!!! Smile Hope it gets here in good condition. Ahh yes, fullmetal alchemist is another one, good call Smile I forgot about that.

Altacia wrote:
Alichino, Gorgeous Carat and RG Veda all have volumes that the first prints had colored images in the front but, The next editions did not. Legal Drug had colored pages and some strange see thru page in their first editions and Wish had different covers and colored images in their first runs. {I'm kicking myself for missing that Dust Cover. Anime smile }
argh, I didn't know there were so many.. I've got to search for so many now... I'm having trouble finding Legal Drug #3 with the special pages... I have the first two though.

Quote:
Hate it when they start a series with the colored inserts and then get rid of them in the later books. {RG Veda}
Yeah, it's mildly annoying especially for someone who wants to get that special item. GRRR.

Oh! Scrapped Princess volumes 1 & 2 have colored pages, but 3 doesn't seem to come with one. The ones I've observed were all First Prints.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
May as well post a little FYI to this.. *sniffles*

TokyoPop's Volume 4 of Loveless has recently hit bookstores and for some strange reason, The colored insert in the Manga has been left out.

I'm almost 100% certain there was one in the original, Why oh why do they do this to the poor Loveless fans.

Sad
DazzleNeko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:

TokyoPop's Volume 4 of Loveless has recently hit bookstores and for some strange reason, The colored insert in the Manga has been left out.

I noticed this as well! I was wondering if my local bookstore just got in an unlucky batch. I guess this confirms that there isn't one. I wish more companies would include color pages.
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I noticed the D.N.Angelmanga silver spine wasn't on the rest of the volumes and the FullMetal Alchemistsilver covers on the first 2 volumes.

And I didn't think the clear and color pages in in Legal Drug were there for a specal reason I thought it was just something CLAMP did with there manga like XXXHolic and Tsubasa but there is a volume of XXXHolic that doesn't have a color page. Shocked
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
DazzleNeko wrote:
I noticed this as well! I was wondering if my local bookstore just got in an unlucky batch. I guess this confirms that there isn't one. I wish more companies would include color pages.
Yeah, #4 Loveless doesn't seem to have the colored insert but I found a Vol 1 first print and it does have a colored page.

Also, do some volumes of the RG Veda have no colored page? I found a few first prints that didn't have a colored page, so it made me worried...

I also found first prints of FLCL and they both have colored pages in the beginning. I thought it was a lucky find!! Smile

I'm also wondering about the XXXHolic and Tsubasa volumes... I don't think I saw some colored pages for Tsubasa and I can't remember if XXXholic had any... argh
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Wow! That got me interested in doing research on the green covers. It seems that the first 3 volumes are the only ones that have green spines? O.o

I'm still researching it. Thanks!

I thought only the first edition of the first volume had a green spine and all printings of everything else had the purple spine. To be honest, this one just annoys me. I hate it when the spines of a series differ significantly.

Also, the first printing of Gentleman's Alliance (Viz; Shojo Beat) will have a pull-out poster.

The final volume of Rurouni Kenshin had a poster, but I'm not sure if that was a first edition exclusive or if all printings will have it.

One or two volumes of Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh had special printings that were glossed, but they weren't the first printings.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Over on the TokyoPop forums people asked about the lack of colored insert in Loveless Volume 4, The reply from Peter Ahltstrom {Tokypop guy?} is that it was a goof up on their side and it was supposed to be in the Manga.....

Even in a reprint it's not that likely that the Colored insert will be added but...Never know.

As for RG Veda, I remember reading that it wasn't selling well enough so Volume 5 on wouldn't have colored inserts more then likely.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3