• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill La Kill Anime's 3-Minute Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I love how the designs of the commoners have an old-school goofiness compared to the slickness and style of the four heavenly kings. Leave it to Sushio to give meaning to each individual character's design. I like how Ryuuko and Satsuki have this timeless combination of simplicity and style; you can tell they're the protagonist and antagonist and embody different philosophies just by looking at them. Absolute solidity and fortitude meeting the archetypal wild element: I look forward to seeing the clash of ideals and turmoil that Ryuuko brings to Satsuki's totalitarian regime.

The only design element that's unappealing to me is Ryuuko's fanservice-y battle outfit. My enjoyment of it will probably hinge on how it's used in the show: basically, if the ridiculousness is deliberate or commented on.

Yeah, I think they really nailed the art direction in terms of wardrobe (mostly) and character design. Also, it seems like Ryuuko's not too happy about the super outfit herself, judging from her blushing, so perhaps it'll change at some point?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Fall season is going to have some really nasty competition! Cool

Man, that "magical girl transformation" scene gave me Re: Cutie Honey flashbacks. Hooray for campy fanservice!

She's the new Yoko. Maybe that's their winning formula. Every action show needs the heroine to display some skin Laughing

I wonder if we'll get extra fanservice on the BDs, either in the show or in the extras.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

And the hype RyanSaotome comes from Gurren Lagann and that ypu ahev the same team working here on this new anime, (GL) which is a masterpiece with no room for arguing over it, arguably the only one that cna become a full fledged classic of the 2000s, being one of the few anime series that got universal praise.

I don't think that's accurate at all. For one whilst I'd kinda agree GL is a classic or a masterpiece, that doesn't mean I need to like it - so I can argue over the points I dislike about the series. For two if you're talking about the 2000's as 2000-2010: then there are a good deal of classics. Shows like Death note, FMA, etc. Also bear in mind that a lot of the 'classics' for western anime fans are no where near as big in Japan, whereas there is more of a similar interest between East and West now.

In terms of this show...personally I don't think it looks all that interesting. I mean ignoring the fact I don't feel any particular love for GL or Trigger, the story seems a bit meh but certainly has potential. I also think the character designs look pretty poor - that's just my personal opinion but they all seem to...stupid. I mean specifically the villains, but they are they bad guys so it's to be expected I suppose. I'm also not to find of the MC's uniform, it just looks a bit messy in terms of the choices they've made in order that it also function as a character.

Lastly is it just me or do the heads seem a bit too big for the MC and the Antagonist, like they're too wide or something. Then again they look fine in the head-shots to the left so maybe it's just an angle thing.

Either way, whilst this doesn't look that generic, I wouldn't say it looks interesting either. It seems like they're mashing together different styles and ideas too much for it to be a coherent story and visually appealing to me, but I accept that I'm not really the intended audience xD
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Uuh there were a lot of stills shown in that trailer which makes me scared a bit.However this still looks awesome and the writing will definitely be good.
Quote:
What huge hype?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime

I mean sure, its got some hype, but lets not kid ourselves about it being another SAO or AoT in terms of hype or anything.

Yeah man you are genius,I mean we all know how you predicted that Jojo is going to be financially unsuccessful,which tells me that you have an astounding knowledge about mechanisms of Japanese market.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Uuh there were a lot of stills shown in that trailer which makes me scared a bit.However this still looks awesome and the writing will definitely be good.

I'm still looking forward to it, but I mentioned in another thread for the previous short trailer that I can already see the signs of a TV budget. I'm not disparaging them, but the lack of in-betweens for the action is reminiscent of TTGL's relatively low framerate action. Trigger even implicitly admitted this themselves, saying they could not have done LWA on a TV budget.

It's not uncommon and rather expected, but sometimes other studios manages to get by better, in particular KyoAni and SHAFT. Perhaps they can get more investment where as Trigger is a small startup and this is a new original work.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of the Character design, especially Matoi's transformation, which many have already stated. It's revealing, which is not a problem, but it seems unnecessary and unneeded. With that being said I am looking forward to the series but I do hold some concerns and i do not want to get court up in to much hype.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
These trailers and promos have been great, but I'm hoping that this show actually lives up to the HUGE hype that's been thrust upon it.
This show has hype? Laughing I only see a few people on ANN looking forward to it.. most anime fans don't seem to care or know about it

I go on more than just ANN, so, based on the anime sections of KanyeToThe, IGN, etc I can say that there is a huge hype for this show
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
They gotta downplay the show because the "otaku" don't seem to be into it and thats all Japan is about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
They gotta downplay the show because the "otaku" don't seem to be into it and thats all Japan is about.

That doesn't make any sense.
Anyone who doesn't think that there's huge hype for this show is a [insults removed], pure and simple.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
No it dosen't have any hype. Look at these irrelevant polls from websites I found. They must be true and a 100% accurate representation of how many people are hyped for the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Umm that's not really how anime works. Confused Japan IS all that matters and if there's no hype there then that's an issue.. hype on American sites like ANN or IGN doesn't mean anything so we have to look to see if the Japanese fanbases like 2ch and other sites are hyping this show up since they're the people who are important
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Umm that's not really how anime works. Confused Japan IS all that matters and if there's no hype there then that's an issue.. hype on American sites like ANN or IGN doesn't mean anything so we have to look to see if the Japanese fanbases like 2ch and other sites are hyping this show up since they're the people who are important
Who cares about Japan? No one in this thread was saying anything about Japan. Even the "this show has hype" was a vague whatever comment most likely only about the western side. There were no comments about the series sales potential or marketability. Just general there seems to be excitement about the show and it was obvious any poster who said that was only talking about what they see on fourms they visit. Because rightfully their opinions and excitement aren't driven by what some people on 2ch have to say.

And then the usual suspects come in and feel the need to point out "oh look noone's hyped about this show because this Japanese poll tells me". Why who cares? Is your interests in shows driven by that (yes). Can you only like what otaku seemingly like(yes).

So yes lets play damage control and downplay the show for no other reason, but otaku that I don't know aren't hyped for this show.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Who cares about Japan?

People who actually know something about anime? >_> You know Japanese companies makes these shows you watch and not Funimation or Crunchyroll, right...? x_x Why do you think so much HYPED OMG EVERYONE LOVES IT anime never get another season?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Vindictive new girl, lumbering badass, devilish yandere, cold ice queen, mysterious rogue, and...Mako?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Who cares about Japan?

People who actually know something about anime? >_> You know Japanese companies makes these shows you watch and not Funimation or Crunchyroll, right...? x_x Why do you think so much HYPED OMG EVERYONE LOVES IT anime never get another season?
Yep I haven't been watching anime since the early 90s and think Funimation makes anime. They made DBZ right?

You and a few others keep saying this and I'm not sure why. Because I'm not at all talking about sales and profits and what drives production. I don't care about that and I'm not talking about it. Kill La Kill is already being made. When it comes to an end and we want a sequel, then we can start talking about whatever Japanese fans liked. But we aren't there are we? Rather a show is popular are not is'nt going to morph my opinion of the show like it seemingly does for some of you. I also think Japan is more than the otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6