• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which FMP season you like the most?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m00nshine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fumoffu was the more enjoyable of the seasons, however in terms of just story then i'd have to go with TSR because it took a darker approach to the original story and had some great action sequences. Can't wait for the next season... whenever that is.
deepon05

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
deepon05 wrote:
I agree, the last two were great but they seemed to have left it were there can or will be more.

Because that was kind of the point. KyoAni used Second Raid to bring the anime in line with the novels, with the idea in mind that they would eventually do sequels. I have a sneaking suspicion that before they moved up producing a Haruhi sequel from 2008 to 2007, we were going to hear about a new Full Metal Panic! series set for next summer. Neutral

deepon05 wrote:
Heck the comedy in Naruto is better than FLCL.

Uh-huh, because Naruto peeing on Ino's head is so much more brilliant than Kamon's Lupin references or Haruko's mouth-to-mouth gags. Rolling Eyes

Tell me your joking. They are actually going to have sme closure on an anime series that is more than one season long!? Shocked That would be a first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:
Tell me your joking. They are actually going to have sme closure on an anime series that is more than one season long!? Shocked That would be a first.

You missed the discussion in this thread about "series vs. season" didn't you? Full Metal Panic! is multiple series, not seasons. The first series was two seasons long, and the next two series were one season apiece. And as for anime that stretched over multiple series and reached a definitive conclusion, it's hardly a first. Dragon Ball, the original Gundam saga (from 0079 to Char's Counterattack), Tenchi Muyo!, Sailor Moon, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex (by virtue of each individual sequel having its own self-enclosed story arc) all did it, to name a few.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kei21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
I've seen all of both the oringinal FMP and Fumoffu, but I started TSR recently and so far it gets my vote.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Kei21 wrote:
I've seen all of both the oringinal FMP and Fumoffu, but I started TSR recently and so far it gets my vote.

Why?
Kei21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Once again I'll elaborate more. I like the original for both it's comedy and action. The voice acting of all three I thought was great too. I found Fumoffu hilarious, especially in the episode where spoiler[Sosuke follows Kaname to the theme park and steals the Bonta-Kun costume for the first time.] As for TSR, the action in the first four has blown me away so far.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The original is the best one because it has a superior blend of both the comedy aspect and the storyline/drama/mecha action aspect as well. Not to mention it's the longest. I loved all 3 series so far though.
I'm going to agree with this minority opinion -- the first season was (duh) the first FMP I saw back in early 2004, and while I never was a fan of mecha/giant robot anime, I was pulled in by its mix of mecha action and schoolyard comedy/romance. In fact, I think the first episode I saw was #8 (at anime club), the episode where Sousuke pretends to be Mizuki's girlfriend in front of her friends, and I found that hilarious. With immortal lines like:
Kaname: "You took a kiss from a girl without permission! Isn't that some kind of rape?"
and
Sousuke: "No! We must keep negotiations open! A breakdown in communications can only lead to war!" (in response to a gal-game)
Gonzo's flaws aside, Series 1 had some quality action scenes, like the escape from the Khanka Autonomous Region in episode 7, the Behemoth chase in episode 12, and the various sequences on the Danaan in the final arc. I did like the oft-maligned three-episode Helmajistan filler arc for being a darker-toned, gritty battle that provided some good exposition on Sousuke's past. Sure, there were some silly moments, like the tournament in #14, but overall it was a good balance of action/comedy and a good balance for characters' screentime.

Fumoffu, OTOH, was lol-hilarious and expertly-animated, but some episodes felt pointless, and some were just plain disturbing/wrong, like the school janitor saying spoiler["You've come to pick the withered fruit before it falls from the vine, haven't you?"], and several moments in the infamous hot springs episode. TSR definitely had great heart-pounding action and psychologically deep moments, but it was a little bit short on Kaname; despite being a lead, she only really gets significant exposure in the middle arc. And the schoolyard comedy I liked so much about the first season. However, I do have to give TSR credit for having one of the best "romantic tension" scenes I've ever seen--those of you who haven't seen the fansubs will probably know what I 'm talking about when Vol. 2 comes out.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
TSR, definitely.

I did like the first series, but I eventually got so bored with the main arc that I watched it purely for the comedy portion (that Afghanistan arc or whatever it was was so boring that I ended up spending 5 or less minutes on each episode in the arc, skippng and fast fowarding through the whole thing. The comedy wasn't developed to its fullest either. It was done pretty well, but was often cut short by some boring arc that I didn't want to see. The last arc I did like, but in the middle were some terribly boring action arcs, which probably would have been more interesting had Gonzo executed them more properly.

Fumoffu was definitely very good, but comedy alone felt kind of empty. I eventually wanted some sort of romance or serious plot, but I knew I wasn't going to get any. It was hilarious, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was episodic, and with episodic anime I can never get to the point where I'm so into it that I just can't stop watching and eagerly anticipate the next episode.

TSR did the action/drama justice, and KyoAni managed to get a lot of pacing stuff right that Gonzo wasn't able to do. Gates was more interesting than Gauron, and from the point where Kaname was left alone, it left me eagerly anticipating the following episodes. Seeing Kaname out there in the rain with Leonard there was a really impactful moment for me, and when together with the great animation, made for a really powerful atmosphere. It was nice to see Sousuke finally lose it, since he'd been acting calm almost all of the first series and Fumoffu. Another powerful atmospheric moment was when Sousuke was walking all alone in Hong Kong. The whole atmosphere just moved me and made me really like the series a whole lot more. Plus, the mecha fights were just as good as ever, and Mao does some really cool things.

And how can I forget, the lolicest twins. I actually liked them.
intothemystic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with some about fumoffu being the best of the seasons. However, I have tended to seperate FUmoffu fromregular FMP. I always thought if it as a seperate entity from FMP, The whole style of it is different. But I do prefer it to the 1st season. I love watching Suske, a bad man in his own right, tripping up on day to day interaction. Always loved that about the character.
deepon05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
deepon05 wrote:

You missed the discussion in this thread about "series vs. season" didn't you? Full Metal Panic! is multiple series, not seasons. The first series was two seasons long, and the next two series were one season apiece. And as for anime that stretched over multiple series and reached a definitive conclusion, it's hardly a first. Dragon Ball, the original Gundam saga (from 0079 to Char's Counterattack), Tenchi Muyo!, Sailor Moon, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex (by virtue of each individual sequel having its own self-enclosed story arc) all did it, to name a few.

Sorry about that but when I read these forums, its REALLY late at night and I don't have the drive to read every single post. But thanks for the clarification. I always tend to think that seasons and series are the same. But now that you mention DB, Tenchi Muyo, and the Gundams, I see what you mean, but I have to say that the series interlaced with each other making me think that they were seasons. While Tenchi never interlaced each series, DB and Sailor Moon did but were given different names. I mean, "The Second Raid," almost sounds like a second season. But might I gress I am still new to anime and its tendencies because I became a huge fan just a few months ago. I still have a lot to learn about the tendencies of anime creators. I am ust gald that there is a new series for the FMP title. I hope it is just as good as the other series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
Do you think Tessa personality is a bit annoying. For example in the Fumoffu season whenspoiler[ she choose to go to to Sousuke school they had a scene where she was dressing up in her school uniform,that was a very wtf moment. Or the scenes where they keep showing her adjust her swimming suit. Futhermore,the scenes where she was trying to do CPR on Sousuke and the scene where they Kaname and her was aruging over Sousuke was painful to watch]
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've finished all all three series of FMP I can finally contribute my opinion. To get straight to the point, The Second Raid is my favorite(though after watching it, it feels more like season 3 trather than a new series). Before watching TSR I was actually leaning towards the first series as being my favorite. I'm not a big fan of Gonzo's, actually I tend to think twice about watching an anime if I see them listed on animation or animation production, but they did well with FMP!. Don't get me wrong, I loved Fumoffu, but there was no real story pulling the episodes together. I felt it was more of a way to connect with the characters we've grown to love from the first series. The thing that put TSR over the other two series for me was actually the last episode. The scene with Gates and the twins. That scene pulled more emotions out of me than most series do through their whole run, it was just extremely...unsettling I guess is the word. Anyways, if you're waiting for the US releases before watching, you have much to look forward too.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2