• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Qualifications of Anime??Please clarify...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
Umm...I need help identifying and knowing which ones are animes. Particularly, I can't tell the difference anymore...

Okay, have you heard of the anime Yu-Gi-Oh?
It's an anime, but then when it reached the states, they called it cartoon...Because of 4kids, they call it cartoon, although it was originally an anime. (and it's on anime news network, making it an anime) However, when I try to ask people in the US, they say it's a cartoon...

How about the show "Totally Spies!"?
It's in English, but some of the artists are in Japanese... It has an anime feel to it too, but does it, being an ENGLISH animation disqualify it from being anime?

I see some little japanese cartoons,
but the characters are soo cartoony! I say it's not an anime, but my friend says it is... like Bu Bu ChaCha...

I know the anime just literally means "japanese animation", but then, there are so many people who argue (like on ff.net) and practically debate over the difference of a cartoon and anime.

Can anyone clarify what makes an anime an anime and a cartoon(english cartoon) a cartoon? really, im getting confused Embarassed
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:
I know the anime just literally means "japanese animation", but then, there are so many people who argue (like on ff.net) and practically debate over the difference of a cartoon and anime.

You may not realise it, but if your topic remains you will be respnsible for the latest debate/argument over this topic here. And it's not really an interesting one either.

Quote:
Can anyone clarify what makes an anime an anime and a cartoon(english cartoon) a cartoon? really, im getting confused Embarassed

You may hear a lot of different answers to this. I simply consider anime to be animation from Japan. Following this, I consider Yu-gi-oh anime, but not Totally Spies. Daisuki! Bubu- Chacha, is also anime.

Again, if the topic stays, someone will eventually post that the word 'anime' is short for animation in Japanese, and say that everything animated is anime. In my opinion, this is logical only if your primary language is Japanese. The usage of the word in any place other than Japan, or for those whose primary language is not Japanese, is to refer to animation originating in Japan.

But honestly, I say just establish your own meaning and go with it. If you ask here, you may come out more confused. Even if you think my post is reasonable and makes sense, you will probably see at least 10 other posts with vastly different opinions, in agreement or disagreement, that all make more sense to you than mine.
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
So, you're saying I should stop? Coz it'll be the next topic to be argued about?
Fine, no more questions then..Can someone please lock this thread? Smile

[EDIT: If you say so. -TK]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1