• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Schoolgirl Anime Love Lab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Was there no mention of regions?
Because this was just a quick panel announcement. Crunchyroll still hasn't got an article up on their site yet. Wait for it... thought it would be out by now but... nope.

Still no announcement but there is a series page now:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/love-lab
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
So I guess crunchyroll just expects people to skip episodes 1-8 and start watching this series at episode 9? Rolling Eyes
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
So I guess crunchyroll just expects people to skip episodes 1-8 and start watching this series at episode 9? Rolling Eyes
Usually they put up the early episodes too but it takes time to subtitle them so not right away. But I haven't seen the details in this case, usually they announce what is happening with earlier episodes too but this week they are much slower than usual. Must be really hung over from the conference LOL
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Usually they put up the early episodes too but it takes time to subtitle them so not right away. But I haven't seen the details in this case, usually they announce what is happening with earlier episodes too but this week they are much slower than usual. Must be really hung over from the conference LOL

Be that as it may, it still doesn't excuse the fact that they are picking this series up almost TWO MONTHS after it started airing. Do they honestly expect people to wait that long to watch the show in order to see it through an official channel (wishful thinking, much?)?
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
hpulley wrote:

Be that as it may, it still doesn't excuse the fact that they are picking this series up almost TWO MONTHS after it started airing. Do they honestly expect people to wait that long to watch the show in order to see it through an official channel (wishful thinking, much?)?
Do you really think Crunchyroll wanted it late? I'm sure they wanted it as a same day simulcast but LoveLab must have been holding out for a better offer or something. Probably wanted home video too which Crunchy doesn't do.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Do you really think Crunchyroll wanted it late? I'm sure they wanted it as a same day simulcast but LoveLab must have been holding out for a better offer or something. Probably wanted home video too which Crunchy doesn't do.

Missing the point. Rolling Eyes
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
anyone who isnt watching it doesn't have to start watching it this instant. waiting a bit isn't going to kill them. and i'm sure people who did watch to watch it have just been using fansubs. I have, but now that CR has the show, i'll starting going to them

Last edited by getchman on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
hpulley wrote:

I get your point but if people are going to watch it elsewhere there is nothing Crunchyroll can do to make Love Lab let them get it earlier. They can say, "people are just going to watch it elsewhere" but many people don't care about legality and will do that anyway. Crunchy has to play by the rules.

But believe it or not some wait for Crunchyroll. Some are watching Monogatari SS on Crunchy even though it is a month after free Daisuki.

Edit: don't use my phone, yikes...

Last edited by hpulley on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
anyone who isnt watching it doesn't have to start watching it this instant. waiting a bit isn't going to kill them.

Yeah, because it's perfectly reasonable for people to have to wait months on end to watch the "official" simulcast/stream.

hpulley wrote:
I get your point but if people are going to watch it elsewhere there is nothing Creunchyroll can do to make LoveLab let them get it earlier. They can say, Lpeople are just going to watch it elsewhere" but many people don't care about legality and will do that anyway. Crunchy has to play by the rules.

No, you really don't. My overall, implied point (which you seem to have missed) is that people are going to watch the shows that they want to watch regardless of whether or not an "official" simulcast is available. If crunchyroll can only muster picking up a series 9 or 12 episodes in, then they should be aware that a good number of people aren't going to start watching the show at that point forward (sans the earlier episodes), nor wait to watch until they acquire the streaming rights for it ((they are going to start watching when the series begins to air) (it would be incredibly idiotic for them, or anyone else, to think otherwise)).

Quote:
But believe it or not some wait for Crunchyroll. Some are watching Monogatari SS on Crunchy even though it is a month after free Daisuki.

Those individuals are video quality/tech spec. snobs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
hpulley wrote:

No, we get the point. As usual, you're shooting mouth off with out understanding anything. Whenever CR obtains a title late like this, they always provide the earlier episodes, usually in a big batch. I know you are incapable of figuring out the obvious, but clearly there was some factor outside of their control that prevented them from getting that title earlier. Because they aren't braindead idiots, they realize that getting the show late is better than not having it at all and it now becomes part of their catalogue. Sure, there will be a few drooling morons who will get their panties in a twist, I guess, but nobody cares about those types, anyway, so it's all good.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
blah, blah, blah

I could write an essay explaining how you are dead wrong and are just using this thread as an opportunity to throw out more personal attacks, but honestly, you are not worth the time, energy, and effort it would take to do that. Thanks for playing anyways.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
Yep, whatever you say, Sparky. Thanks for once again giving the rest us the cheap laugh that comes with, "wow...could that person REALLY be that stupid?"

(Hint: yes.)
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
getchman wrote:
anyone who isnt watching it doesn't have to start watching it this instant. waiting a bit isn't going to kill them.

Yeah, because it's perfectly reasonable for people to have to wait months on end to watch the "official" simulcast/stream.

Not me, I am really impatient but some people actually prefer the whole series to be available so they can marathon the whole thing at once. They don't like to wait a week and forget what happened. Not everyone watches anime the same way you do, or I do.
Quote:

hpulley wrote:
I get your point but if people are going to watch it elsewhere there is nothing Crunchyroll can do to make LoveLab let them get it earlier. They can say, "people are just going to watch it elsewhere" but many people don't care about legality and will do that anyway. Crunchy has to play by the rules.

No, you really don't. My overall, implied point (which you seem to have missed) is that people are going to watch the shows that they want to watch regardless of whether or not an "official" simulcast is available. If crunchyroll can only muster picking up a series 9 or 12 episodes in, then they should be aware that a good number of people aren't going to start watching the show at that point forward (sans the earlier episodes), nor wait to watch until they acquire the streaming rights for it ((they are going to start watching when the series begins to air) (it would be incredibly idiotic for them, or anyone else, to think otherwise)).

No, I really do get your point. But some people, believe it or not, do not want to go grubbing around for illegal uploads which may turn out to be something other than what they expect and fansubs which may be trolls or wrong. Some people don't want to risk doing something illegal in case one day they actually prosecute people for this sort of thing even though it is not produced locally. Some people actually do want to do the right thing. I don't like fansubs and I don't like downloads myself. It has to be a very extreme case for me to resort to them and even then I'd rather it be on youtube than torrent so it is at least fairly safe, if crap quality. Not everyone thinks it is their god given right to download things illegally for free just because they feel like it.

So, I haven't watched Love Lab yet other than the PVs they have put up. You may not believe me but it is true. I want to watch it and am very happy that Crunchyroll has picked it up. I look forward to finally seeing it, since I couldn't find it on Youtube and didn't want to use leech sites (which have ads even though they are showing illegal uploads, bastards) or torrent.
Quote:

Quote:

Those individuals are video quality/tech spec. snobs.

As I just said, not necessarily. But there is nothing wrong with being a video quality snob. I sometimes want to wait for a show to come out on Bluray with the final fixes, 1080p, 48KHz 24-bit sound to watch it properly rather than seeing it in even Crunchyroll's stream quality which to be honest isn't even that great once you a real video quality snob and buy Blurays (though I am a subscriber and do support them). Or wait for the Bluray rips and download them illegally, there are also freeloader video quality snobs of course.

Just remember, not everyone is like you. Some want to watch it legally to do the right thing. There may not be many of them, but there are some of us, at least one anyway.

Sorry, that was a big old soapbox wasn't it? My apologies. Please delete and take any other actions deemed necessary if this message is deemed inappropriate...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
@ hpulley - no that wasn't soapboxing as ANN defines it all. Soapboxing in the ANN context is repeating the same message over and over and over again in multiple threads - sometimes even in threads where the soapboxing topic isn't even under discussion.

What you did was present a reasonable, well-thought out and polite reply.

How dare you! Wink
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yep, whatever you say, Sparky. Thanks for once again giving the rest us the cheap laugh that comes with, "wow...could that person REALLY be that stupid?"

(Hint: yes.)

Nothing but empty, cheap, and shameful insults. Silly me for thinking that I would actually get anything of substance from the likes of you. Rolling Eyes

hpulley wrote:
No, I really do get your point. But some people, believe it or not, do not want to go grubbing around for illegal uploads which may turn out to be something other than what they expect and fansubs which may be trolls or wrong. Some people don't want to risk doing something illegal in case one day they actually prosecute people for this sort of thing even though it is not produced locally. Some people actually do want to do the right thing. I don't like fansubs and I don't like downloads myself. It has to be a very extreme case for me to resort to them and even then I'd rather it be on youtube than torrent so it is at least fairly safe, if crap quality. Not everyone thinks it is their god given right to download things illegally for free just because they feel like it.

I don't know where you got the idea that I am a freeloading fan who doesn't like to pay for things and is a frequent user of torrents , but that assumption is simply false (I actually spend hundreds of dollars on Anime and related products every year). I have NO interest in using torrents (too easy to pick up viruses/spyware or be tracked by law enforcement). If downloading is necessary (due to the lack of an "official" source) then I will direct download only. Ultimately, if an "official" simulcast is available, then that is how I will see the show, but if their isn't, then I will still attempt to see it using the method that I mentioned above (I don't think that that is wrong or unreasonable).

To get back on topic (sort of), the point that I implied in my original post was that people were going to watch Love Lab regardless of whether crunchyroll made it available officially or not, and that expecting people to not watch it when it started to air because there wasn't an "official" method at that point in time is naive at best. That's it. Anything else that you interpreted from that statement is a misstep on your part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3