• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Creamy Mami's Character Designer Takada Sends Video Message to Support Anime Sols

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
No sale, Takada. You were a witch with a capital 'b' at AX 2008 and I'll never give so much as a nickel to any project with your name attached to it. There are plenty of other well known Japanese artists who can treat people decently, and I'll subscribe to their efforts instead.

Sorry, but I'm hoping that this doesn't get a US release.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
No sale, Takada. You were a witch with a capital 'b' at AX 2008 and I'll never give so much as a nickel to any project with your name attached to it. There are plenty of other well known Japanese artists who can treat people decently, and I'll subscribe to their efforts instead.

What happened, if you don't mind me asking? (I feel rather similarly in regards to CLAMP considering how they acted on their visit to AX too.)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they might actually fund that first Mami box-set.

The others aren't looking so good. New Yatterman ends in a few hours and it's less than 10% funded. Personally I think it's much less entertaining than the original Yatterman which has already badly failed to get funded.

Are they going to start new series soon? Since they decided to stop posting new episodes of series that failed their drives they're already down to only four episodes a week and that'll probably drop even further as more drives end this week.
Goggen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

That's fair enough, however...

Cutiebunny wrote:

This is rather petty.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
What happened, if you don't mind me asking? (I feel rather similarly in regards to CLAMP considering how they acted on their visit to AX too.)

I heard about the horrors of CLAMP. I won't buy their manga because of it.

At AX 2008, you had to attend the guest's panels to get a ticket, and then line up for the autograph session. And I did that. Lined up over an hour and a half before the autograph session that began two hours after her panel. Staff comes by and says that Takada will sign anything but a piece of lined paper. I asked if shikishi boards were fine and they said they were. So, I waited in line. 2 hours later, halfway through the hour long session, and 10 people from the front, I'm informed that shikshi boards are not acceptable because she'll only sign her merchandise, but instead I should consider buying one of Takada's $75 prints (read: Copies). Disgusted, I left. Fast forward to the Open Autograph session on the last day. I went to get autographs from the Sword of the Stranger guys that were there as guests that year. Takada was facing the wall, and saw the huge and continually growing line of people waiting for Vic. After getting an autograph, I proceeded to leave the hall and was stopped by a staffer who begged that I go to Takada's line. He explained to me that Takada was furious that so many people were lining up for Vic and that no one wanted to see her. I told them I would, but all I had left was the back of a blank posterboard (..was really new to the autograph concept..first con), and explained what happened at her earlier autograph session. The staffer assured me that it would not happen this time. So, I went there. No line. No one was in front of her. I presented the blank, unused portion of the board. She turned it over, looked up at me, and sneered. She said some harsh words to the AX staff. And then she begrudgingly signed.

I've attended a lot of cons during the past several years, but Takada and Jo Chen are the only guests where I've observed a lot of bitterness towards fans. I don't expect a guest to be my new bestie or kiss my rump, but I do expect some semblence of courtesy. Fortunately, these two are the exceptions, and the rest of the 95% of guests I've met have been polite, and sometimes, incredibly friendly.

Goggen wrote:
This is rather petty.

Don't care. The woman was mean and petty for no reason, and I hope that she never gets another cent from her work.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

You dont want something released because one person associated with the show was mean at a con five years ago? Well, you're a real peach.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
BTW, ANN staff, you miss-spelled her name. It is spelled "Akemi Takada". You spelled it "Takeda".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Don't care. The woman was mean and petty for no reason, and I hope that she never gets another cent from her work.

"Rude to me, eh? WELL I HOPE YOUR LIVELIHOOD IS DESTROYED AND NOBODY EVER VALIDATES YOU OR YOUR EXISTENCE EVER AGAINNNNNNNNN"

Seems rational to me
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Seems rational to me

Zac, be fair about this. This is the internet. Name me one thing that isn't serious business on the internet.

Now... about Mami. The funding does seem to have gotten a pretty big boost. And it's going strong with 12.000 right now. Can it make 7000 in 2 days... I honestly don't know, but it is possible. This one has the highest chance of making it.

Funt fact: Creamy Mami is fansubbed. All episodes are available. So is Black Jack. These two have gotten the highest number of pledged.
Food for though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the panic-induced final stretch pledges are finally coming in for Mami. It was looking grim for that series until about a week ago when it started to get some movement. It might just get funded, assuming enough big pledges come in. One person recently purchased the Magical Star level for $1500, and I think about another 2 purchased the Super Nova level. It's definitely those people buying bigger pledges that'll get this done, since the number of donators hasn't really gone up. Even another 100 buying the Core package won't be be enough, and it's unlikely for that many more people to come on board this late. With a little over 2 days left, someone's gonna have to show up big time.

I wonder what this means for the next set of shows they'll choose. Continue on with Mami alone for the next chunk of the show, or add in the next Pierrot magical girl show to compete against it? No idea if that would be a good strategy, it doesn't sound like one.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think bringing something to compete with Mami would be stupid. Why would they split their potential pledges up?
Emichan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Akemi Takada was as sweet as could be to me when I met her at A-kon in 2000 (she even asked to have her photo taken with me because she liked my outfit, which was my first time dressing up, and was a clumsy attempt at an original character) and her staffer came back later and found me again and reiterated how happy Ms Takada was to see everyone and that she really liked my outfit. (I boggled at that)

Then a few weeks later I saw her at AX, and she recognized me and ran up to me to say hi, and was very nice.

Saw her again at AX years later (I believe it was 2008) where she didn't recognize me (I wouldn't expect her to, hah) but she was pleasant enough. Then again, I was having her sign an artbook.

I love Creamy Mami, and I hope it does well Anime smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder what this means for the next set of shows they'll choose. Continue on with Mami alone for the next chunk of the show, or add in the next Pierrot magical girl show to compete against it? No idea if that would be a good strategy, it doesn't sound like one.

Surely they have to continue on with a show that's gotten its first set successfully funded.

It true, though; putting up more than one magical girl show at a time sounds like a bad idea. It might have been a bad idea to have Tekkaman and Tokikage up at the same time, though they feel kind of different from being from different decades.

This kind of leaves them on a hook; as long as a show from a certain genre is successful it's a bad idea to put up another restricting their options as to what new shows they start.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I think bringing something to compete with Mami would be stupid. Why would they split their potential pledges up?

Which means Yumi, Emi, and Persia should all go up separately and alone. Might take quite a while to see them all get done at that rate, but of the four, I think only Mami would have any shot. Get that Magical Quartet OVA with all four of them and I believe it'd be an easy way to introduce the other three girls.

Fronzel wrote:
It true, though; putting up more than one magical girl show at a time sounds like a bad idea. It might have been a bad idea to have Tekkaman and Tokikage up at the same time, though they feel kind of different from being from different decades.

This kind of leaves them on a hook; as long as a show from a certain genre is successful it's a bad idea to put up another restricting their options as to what new shows they start.

Both Yattermans as well, splitting the donations.

They did have that survey, but we have no idea if they'll add Kemeko DX or Nogizaka Haruka, both of which standard a fantastically higher chance of getting funding by the virtue of not being 25 or 30 years old.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

"Rude to me, eh? WELL I HOPE YOUR LIVELIHOOD IS DESTROYED AND NOBODY EVER VALIDATES YOU OR YOUR EXISTENCE EVER AGAINNNNNNNNN"

Seems rational to me

People are selfish and only care about themselves gee what's new??? I've never meet this woman but I do like her work so I will show some support.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3