• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Anime Cache

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Make that 19! I thought it was a wonderfully warm and enjoyable series. Too short though. It felt rushed.

Now at 20!. I really enjoyed this title too. It was definitely too short. I was hoping to see more of Yume. Return trip to Tokyo. Well, I'm definitely grateful for what I got. I love seinen slice of life titles.

joel_s95387 wrote:

I also remember references that were made towards it like on FLCL when the dad was acting like Lupin and changed jackets because it was the CoC version.

I think it's cool how depending on the director, Lupin gets a different color coat... Are there more than 2 directors? If so, how many colors?

Green, red, pink, white (live-action). This is a nice place to look for all things Lupin.

It's a shame that a treasure like Kamichu! didn't rate higher, considering how high the Lupin remake scored. Vol. 2 was better than vol. 1 and Tama rocks! Very Happy
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, while CoC is a beautiful anime movie, it's one of the weaker Lupin III movies, in my opinion. Why? Because Lupin doesn't act like Lupin usually does. He's too sugar-coated. Lupin is supposed to be a lecherous near-rapist with no qualms about killing his enemies if he has to, especially in the manga (where the naked bodies and the dead bodies stack up pretty high at times). Monkey Punch's Lupin III is not in CoC, that's for sure.

I thought so too, but after following the link to the Lupin Encyclopedia, I can see what Miyazaki was aiming for.
Quote:
It was more light-hearted than the first film as Miyazaki felt that the film should represent Lupin in the twilight of his career. Lupin is more nice and sentimental as he is looking for fulfillment that cannot be found in thievery.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“Yeah, I watch anime, it’s pretty cool.”
“Man, you’re a wuss. I can’t believe you watch Pokemon and stuff.”
“Hey, hey, don’t diss the Pokemon. That show is friggin’ awesome.”
“Are you serious??”
“Dude, they’re like the X-men of the animal world. You just don’t know.”

*continuing the conversation*

"That's bull***. My little brother watches that show and its really gay."
"You just don't know."
"You're a ****ing nerd."

That approach doesn't work with this sort of thing. First off, its best to keep your love for anime between yourself and your close/anime-watching friends. Don't start talking about how badass Roy's attacks are or how much of a little bastard Shinji is with a random stranger. Think about it from their point of view...

I don't like watching most professional sports. Watching people run up and down a field/court with a ball or skate or hit a ball across a field or run/drive around in a circle is boring to me. So when people walk up to me or a friend that I happen to be hanging out with and starts raving about their favorite football team, I don't know what they're talking about, nor do I care. All I know is that I just want them to shut up about football and start talking about something that I actually care about.

Its gotta be the same deal for non-anime fans. They don't know your favorite anime shows and characters, and they probably don't care. So keep it to yourself.

Once you get to know someone, the right way to introduce them to anime is to not to tell them about it, but to have them watch it. Show them Outlaw Star, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, or Great Teacher Onizuka. Most people tend to love those shows.

On the off chance that a non-anime fan brings anime up, you definitely don't try to defend it by calling yourself a Pokemon fan. The Pokemon anime is annoying. Don't say differently. (and don't try to have a cool attitude... just be normal; that should be enough, assuming that you know how to carry on a conversation)

"My cousin's a ****ing nerd... he spends all of his money collecting foreign cartoons."
"Anime? Some of my favorite shows are anime."
"Dude... you actually watch that Pokemon ****?"
"**** Pokemon. That show's for little kids."
"Cartoons are for little kids."
"Family Guy."
"Except for South Park and those shows."
"Elfen Lied... first five minutes: a guy gets his heart shot straight out of his back, a girl gets her head twisted off, and like 15 people get torn in half. I doubt that show was aimed at kids. There's a good amount of good anime comedy shows out there too. You should ask your cousin if he has Berserk, Outlaw Star, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, or Great Teacher Onizuka."
"No."
"Your loss, I guess."

That's the worst case scenario with most people, and there's a chance that he might change his mind later.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, while CoC is a beautiful anime movie, it's one of the weaker Lupin III movies, in my opinion. Why? Because Lupin doesn't act like Lupin usually does. He's too sugar-coated.

Tell me about it. My first exposure to Lupin III was the original manga, so when I watched CoC (which was the first Lupin III anime I saw) I was like "Okay, the movie looks nice and all, but who is this guy and where's Lupin?" Later I learned to appreciate the movie on its own but as far as Lupin III goes, it's very out of character.

shadow_Hiei wrote:
"Cartoons are for little kids."
"Family Guy."
"Except for South Park and those shows."
"Elfen Lied... first five minutes: a guy gets his heart shot straight out of his back, a girl gets her head twisted off, and like 15 people get torn in half. I doubt that show was aimed at kids."

Anime fandom is relatively young in my country, and I've seen this kind of conversation many times on forums and IRL. So let me continue...

"Elfen Lied, you say? Sound cool, I guess I'll give it a chance."
*later*
"OMG I watched Elfen Lied and it's the BEST ANIME EVAR! It's brutal and it has blood and NAKED GIRLS OMG and ARMS FLYING and all sorts of really cool stuff!!" (Alternatively: "Watch me overanalyze the story and the characters and call the anime artistic, trying to find deeper meanings where there is little to none. I've never seen anything like this so this must be an original and unique anime, and definitely the BEST ANIME EVAR!")
"Great, now here are some other anime you may want to try..."
"Do they have blood and gore and naked girls?"
"Well, no, not really, but..."
"Then I don't care."

Anime fans like that are more annoying than "cartoons are for little kids" people. At least those leave you alone after you're done with each other.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
No one ever has conversations like that shadow_Hiei.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
I saw My Secret Cache when it was on free-to-air TV here several years ago... it was quite funny, in a slightly sad way. You gotta feel for the husband, putting up with her crap Laughing
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
No one ever has conversations like that shadow_Hiei.

Yeah they do. Hell, those conversations sum up damn near every conversation I had about anime in high school (1993-97). In order to get our friends to "understand", my friend John and I would loan them either the Fist of the North Star movie or Ninja Scroll for a weekend, and they'd be singing quite a different tune come Monday*.

* Please note this tactic works best with high school boys who will think that a guy who punches people til their heads explode is the coolest thing ever. But it DOES work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ugh. I was eating breakfast when I read that poop conversation... Anime dazed Good thing I wasn't eating Cherrios.

Oh, yeah. And those conversations never really work... Even if you recommend to their tastes, they'll never show interest in it until you're not around. Like my friend--I told him about anime and manga years ago and he insisted that it's "for kids" and made fun of me for it. Well, he moved away for a few years and when he came back he was raving how FMA and FLFC were "THE BEST ANIME EVAR!!!!111!!" Rolling Eyes
Robotech_Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
Was that the only difference? Pretty stupid reason to not pick it up if that was. I was actually looking forward to this release wince I hear it is a "classic". I love Lupin anime since I saw it on [as] and look forward to purchasing the movie boxes in a couple of months.

I don't think it's necessarily a reason not to pick it up. I'm mostly not sorry I did, though the credits change irritates me severely. But someone who is considering getting it really deserves to know exactly what they're getting when they do, which is why all these reviews popping up that don't even mention the opening credits change really vex me.

While I'm here, allow me to promote the MP3 commentary track that I've done for Cagliostro; it will work with any NTSC version of the movie. You can find it here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Quote:
“Yeah, I watch anime, it’s pretty cool.”
“Man, you’re a wuss. I can’t believe you watch Pokemon and stuff.”
“Hey, hey, don’t diss the Pokemon. That show is friggin’ awesome.”
“Are you serious??”
“Dude, they’re like the X-men of the animal world. You just don’t know.”

*continuing the conversation*

"That's bull***. My little brother watches that show and its really gay."
"You just don't know."
"You're a ****ing nerd."

That approach doesn't work with this sort of thing. First off, its best to keep your love for anime between yourself and your close/anime-watching friends. Don't start talking about how badass Roy's attacks are or how much of a little bastard Shinji is with a random stranger. Think about it from their point of view...

...I was joking. And chances are, the other person in the conversation will know you're joking too, with the tone of voice you carry.

Talking seriously about how badass Roy is is pretty friggin' lame. But I've never had a problem just joking with people. When you tell them, "Hey man, Pokemon is sweet" they *seldom* take you seriously. Usually, they drop the "anime is gay" bit because they realize you're just joking, and the conversation moves on to other things.

I'm surprised you took it seriously.

If you spin off onto a "No, seriously, anime can be for adults. Have you seen Berserk, Elfin Lied, etc, etc," they'll write you off as a big nerd and that's that. Instead of getting defensive, just joke with them. Or just be light-hearted about it. Then again... if you took what I wrote as seriously trying to defend Pokemon, maybe joking isn't up your alley. It's all a matter of personality.

If people don't want to watch anime, I really, really don't think you should try and convert them. It's possible to make friends with people based on other interests. Handing them Ninja Scroll may convert them, but they might just think you're a big giant nerd. Contrarily, once they realize you can be laid-back and have fun with your hobby's stereotypes, you can move on to talking about other things, be it sports, music, or whatever.

The more defensive you are, the more defensive they are, so don't bother. It's okay to have friends who don't give a crap about anime.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

If people don't want to watch anime, I really, really don't think you should try and convert them. It's possible to make friends with people based on other interests. Handing them Ninja Scroll may convert them, but they might just think you're a big giant nerd. Contrarily, once they realize you can be laid-back and have fun with your hobby's stereotypes, you can move on to talking about other things, be it sports, music, or whatever.

The more defensive you are, the more defensive they are, so don't bother. It's okay to have friends who don't give a crap about anime.

...you can lead a horse to water, but...

Last edited by Nabeshin on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Man, if Goku and company were able to find the seven dragonballs in 1 minute, 64 seconds, why couldn’t they have done that for all the Dragonball series?

Why not "2 minutes, 4 seconds"?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DELETED. What the hell with the misogynistic lyrics i put here for NO REASON?

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 am; edited 4 times in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Quote:
Man, if Goku and company were able to find the seven dragonballs in 1 minute, 64 seconds, why couldn’t they have done that for all the Dragonball series?

Why not "2 minutes, 4 seconds"?

Ha, typo. Thanks.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Then you should buy the old dvd first, because this is no longer the "original" film.

How different are we talking here? Are the differences the sames as the Director version of Samurai (Trust & Betrayal) and the regular release?

Well, you can look in this thread for starters. Pics in the link of message #1411789 may address your question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3