• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Microsoft: Xbox One Will Not Restrict Used Games, Regions, Offline Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
you guys are mislead by Microsoft and Sony. They will not restrict used games and offline games, but publishers will restrict used games and online games. I bought a used vita game, i have to paid $10 more for online mode. lol

You need PS+ to play online soon.
Yerld

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But I really hope the XBone still sells poorly even though the restrictions have now been lifted. It will teach Microsoft a lesson not to dick around with consumers like that. But it will also serve as a warning to Sony that they had better not try anything funny in the future. I'm not so naive to think that Sony are angels, they would pull similar stunts if they thought they could get away with it. Consumers have to keep both sides honest.

In terms of overall trend, Microsoft's solution was merely a stopgap (in all likelihood, Sony had a similar solution in place, but backpedaled and capitalized on public opinion to Microsoft's detriment. Developers and publishers were blindsided by the announcement that the PS4 wouldn't feature such DRM).

In the long run, the strategy is to work DRM into the games themselves (now branded as services). You know, like Destiny and Titanfall, which the masses have fallen head over heels for. Throw in a multiplayer core or some "cloud processing", and you've got a game that needs Internet connectivity to work.

The new breed is on the way already. UbiSoft has The Crew and Tom Clancy's The Division. Meanwhile, Crytek, Digital Extremes, and many others are running wild with new F2P games/service platforms. Fighting game developers are experimenting with online F2P versions......

If gamers embrace the above (and signs point toward this so far - you just need a way to convince them that it's acceptable, such as the claim that it's an "online game" or a "free game"), then the war will be lost regardless of what console manufacturers might do.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
so, they could easily do all of this in the first place in practically a push of a button...why did they ever bother to try this at all then?

I suspect that there wasn't much reason beyond the monetary angle. If there was some sort of goal at play, I would think they would have explained it rather than keep telling people to "deal with it" until Sony clobbered them over the head.

It doesn't really change my opinion, though. The attitude Microsoft had up until today suggests that this move was less than sincere.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

You need PS+ to play online soon.

Only for PS4.
PS3, PSP and Vita all have FREE online, iirc.

It's actually quite cheap too.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I still dont see why people praise them? All these features are just things that the system should have included anyway in the first place. Plus you still need the crappy kinect and its 100$ more expensive.

I doubt they redeemed themselves in front of the world. Still going with PS4
blindworm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
i'm not going to buy this console, not after being played like this

i'm only worried about my siblings now, though they're thinking of the PS4, i could see them buy this now
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Great. Now if only MS would reverse course with Windows 8+

I'm not sure I trust them enough yet as their elaborate DRM scheme was something that was completely MS designed and centralized from the get-go. Their system was not one that was simply hands-off and let publishers each optionally implement their own DRM scheme. Even though it allowed publishers some flexibility, it was still a system that mandated participation from everyone, hence the previous rigamarole for lending, banning of reselling, and licensing of retailers.

So it's not enough to sway me away from the PS4, which is substantially more powerful, $100 less, has more games I'd like, and allows Indie devs to self-publish. The one and only game I really want on the Xbox One is Killer Instinct. But as much as I love KI, I'm not gonna buy the XB1 just for it, and will make do with other excellent fighters on the PS4.
Correl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I can't confirm this but rumor is the restrictions on the xbox are still in place on the hardware, but a software update will override them, which some pointed out still allows xbox to change face later

I doubt it's a hardware restriction, seeing as specially designing circuitry that would phone home and track how long between responses would be: a.) Incredibly difficult and b.) significantly more expensive than writing it code.

That being said, it was prolly a module or something in their firmware that they're turning off. Which would explain why they have to take out everything. They could definitely turn it back on down the road, but that's doubtful.
lijachan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Micro$oft's Xbox One acquires the "most talked about console" of the year but for the wrong reasons.

I'll stick to your PCs but even Apple is winning me on that one. M$ is just lucky I don't give up on the PC is because there's not much of the games I want available for my Mac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well, that kind of changes everything. The Xbone already had a better showing than the PS4 as it is. I may have already pre-orded the PS4, but I may have to change that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
^
I don't know what delusional fantasy-land you live in, but the XBone most certainly did not have "a better showing than the PS4". It's been terrible for Microsoft. The XBone's reception was real bad before E3, and E3 itself was disastrous for it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I don't know what delusional fantasy-land you live in, but the XBone most certainly did not have "a better showing than the PS4". It's been terrible for Microsoft. The XBone's reception was real bad before E3, and E3 itself was disastrous for it.
Im not sure what's delusional about what I said? Care to actually back up your claim so that it dosent come off as fanboy drival?

Sony has only came out of E3 swinging because they did not share MS DRM practices. More so, they realize that "eh this craps going digital which already has drm anyway, why mess with things".

But that was what got the crowd cheering for Sony. Not the actual games.

Because what great exclusives did Sony show? Oh boy Killzone, a lame steam punk game with guns, and well that's all I remember. What fantastic lineup was there? Indie games that will be on steam no doubt? Sqaures's stuff that will also be on Xbox?

Meanwhile MS had:

The Spirtual successor to Panzer Dragon.

Swery's next mind screw.

TitanFall, a FPS with mechs and Tribes esque world traversal.

Dead Rising 3, which while it looks to be losing its quirkiness it also looks to gain some real cool sandbox gameplay.

A new Remedy game which whatever it is will surly be interesting at the very least.

On top of that it had a good third party showing of Battlefield 4, Metal Gear Solid V, and Witcher 3. Which all look great and are coming to xbone.

I don't even remember anything Sony showed game wise that looked interesting other than FF which you don't need PS4 for.

So who's being delusional here. Game wise, MS did not fail. Sure if you just want to ignore what they showed, go ahead. But it's a lie to discredit them on that front. The drm issue is the only thing that held back the system and now that's gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Let this be a lesson to the world. Not all publicity is good publicity.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
And lots of fool will fall like mosquitos now!

Dont be naive at best, dont be an ignorant sheep at worst...no, even more horrible is those that knowing whats going on willingly bend over to be done my M$ and with joy, totally insane those sorry people...

DRM over, yea right, and we are supposed to believe this is a gamers' "victory", to believe that ass of Don and that they listened to us gamers? yea sure, why MS didn't when the rumors of always online surfaces and lots of gamers manifested their hatred for such measire? No the listen?

Sure they do, when MS see PS4, pre-orders and utter dominance worldwide.

MS drm wet draams aint over, merely fooling the ignorant masses.

I will leave here a nice article:

""""""""""Today, Microsoft announced one of the biggest corporate 180s in gaming history. No longer will the upcoming Xbox One suffer from DRM issues, no longer will it need a forced internet connection, and no longer will it block used games in any form. That's all great and all (we're happy for and proud of the collective of consumers and gamers whose voices were heard), and it's good for Microsoft. However, these issues shouldn't even have been on the table in the first place, and that's what annoys us about this whole situation. Microsoft has done little to earn our trust back and here's why.

Kinect is still mandatory at this stage, and with all that is happening with the NSA in the United States, we still aren't comfortable with the idea of an always-on Kinect.

Then there's the lineup and the cost of the system. Our most anticipated game for the system, Dead Rising 3, has been revealed to have lost the series' comedic edge, which was a good portion of the fun of the franchise. We were eager to see a revival of Killer Instinct, but then we learned it is free-to-play and you have to buy characters to actually have a complete experience. Let's face it-- Microsoft's first-party output is vastly inferior to what Sony and Nintendo offer. If Microsoft has nothing to excite us on their side with exclusives, then what is the point of getting an Xbox One in the first place-- to play multiplatform games that will be available on the PlayStation 4?

Microsoft fosters a software ecosystem where the most popular genres are shooters, racers, and sports games. We've honestly had our fill of all three. We've had enough Call of Duty. We've had enough Halo. We've had enough Gears of War. We've had enough Madden. We've had enough-- you get the idea. You probably yourself have had enough of what we've had enough of!

Let's also talk about Microsoft's treatment of indies. Sony and Nintendo are opening their arms wide open for indies, yet Microsoft contains the same ass-backwards and anti-indie policies that made so many developers scamper away in the first place.

However, what really pisses us off is that gamers are so quick to jump back into their abusive relationship with Microsoft over the lack of DRM. It's basically thanking a company for spitting in your face, yet forgetting that that company was the one that spat in your face in the first place. It's disconcerting to see how swiftly some gamers are to leap back into Microsoft's lap after the company already revealed their true colors and how much they honestly care about consumers (see: not at all).

Microsoft didn't kill DRM because they are nice and respectful to consumers. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They did it because they had no choice in the matter unless they wanted the Xbox One to sell like crap.They killed DRM because they saw they were in deep, saw the PlayStation 4 pre-orders outpacing their system by a dramatic margin, and they absolutely positively hit the panic button. How else can this be interpreted with Microsoft and Xbox lackeys constantly defending their previous stances on DRM? They basically told consumers that their way was right and that consumers and gamers just "didn't understand." And we're supposed to automatically forgive them and their past arrogance?!

Some people are actually celebrating and championing Microsoft for "seeing the light." We think that's horrible. Remember, this was a company that was willing to bestow ungodly DRM on people and throw onto consumers a heavily anti-consumer console, where their used games policies are reprehensible and a forced internet connection was needed. Microsoft was willing to make consumers bend over and take it (excuse the analogy, we don't usually go there, but we're mad).

So no, Microsoft. You are not forgiven. You still have a mandatory Kinect, you still contain the worst lineup of first-party exclusives available, your support for your systems trails off early, and your Xbox One is still too expensive for our liking. The fact of the matter is that you've lost our trust after all the crap you've pulled. Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us. """"""""""
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kinect is still mandatory at this stage, and with all that is happening with the NSA in the United States, we still aren't comfortable with the idea of an always-on Kinect.
I'm not sure whats so terrible about Kinect. Don't like it? Don't play games that use it. I'm also unsure where this dumb spying on you crap came from.

Quote:
Then there's the lineup and the cost of the system. Our most anticipated game for the system, Dead Rising 3, has been revealed to have lost the series' comedic edge, which was a good portion of the fun of the franchise. We were eager to see a revival of Killer Instinct, but then we learned it is free-to-play and you have to buy characters to actually have a complete experience. Let's face it-- Microsoft's first-party output is vastly inferior to what Sony and Nintendo offer. If Microsoft has nothing to excite us on their side with exclusives, then what is the point of getting an Xbox One in the first place-- to play multiplatform games that will be available on the PlayStation 4?
The lineup is great? Whats so much better about Sony's lineup?

Oh noes. Dead Rising is now gritty. Who cares? The actual game looks good and the humor of DR always sucked. The fun came from the player interacting in the game and that's still possible.

And you can actually buy all the characters for Killer Instinct at once if you want. It's really no different than the other experiments like DoA5 Ultimate F2P.

And lets face it, Nintendo's first party stuff is retreads after retreads and Sony's is a race to play catch up.

For are an article, it sure seems to show heavy bias and thus I'm unsure if I'm supposed to take it seriously. I've had a PS3 since luanch and Sony first party offerings have been rather mediocre. Lame attempts at FPS blockbusters and meh platformers. Naughty Dog basically being the shining star here and that's really it. It would be insane to say that MS support did'nt weaken towards the end, but the early years were filled with new ips and good games. I see no reason why I can't happen again.

And as far as I'm concerned, they were the only one's to show exciting new ips at this years E3. Nintendo did'nt have crap and Sony was limp.

Quote:
Microsoft fosters a software ecosystem where the most popular genres are shooters, racers, and sports games. We've honestly had our fill of all three. We've had enough Call of Duty. We've had enough Halo. We've had enough Gears of War. We've had enough Madden. We've had enough-- you get the idea. You probably yourself have had enough of what we've had enough of!
It's almost as if these people didn't watch MS' conference. There were what? 3 FPS shown out of several games? You know the one with Rhythmic action detective game and Panzer Dragoon in spirit? And really only one of those FPS was the "bro" one and at that Battlefield 4 comes from a series that is extrmley good, one that is attempting to balance that CoD gameplay and something more. No, MS' confrence was varied. And while you've had enough of those games, not everyone has and it's not like Sony dosen't push the same crap.

Quote:
Let's also talk about Microsoft's treatment of indies. Sony and Nintendo are opening their arms wide open for indies, yet Microsoft contains the same ass-backwards and anti-indie policies that made so many developers scamper away in the first place.
Spoken like someone whos never been on XBLA.

Quote:
And you know what. Indies are nice and all, but I don't care and they aren't going to sell the system.
However, what really pisses us off is thet gamers are so quick to jump back into their abusive relationship with Microsoft over the lack of DRM. It's basically thanking a company for spitting in your face, yet forgetting that that company was the one that spat in your face in the first place. It's disconcerting to see how swiftly some gamers are to leap back into Microsoft's lap after the company already revealed their true colors and how much they honestly care about consumers (see: not at all).
it's almost as if people forget these are corporations.

It's also funny how people are crying about this and holding Sony up.

Oh yes, Sony. The people that thought you should get two jobs for their system. The company that talks, but doesn't walk with their portables. Yes, Sony the company that cares about you.

All MS did was jump the gun and try to force something thats going to happen. That you people are perfectly fine with how it's done on PC.

Quote:
Microsoft didn't kill DRM because they are nice and respectful to consumers. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They did it because they had no choice in the matter unless they wanted the Xbox One to sell like crap.They killed DRM because they saw they were in deep, saw the PlayStation 4 pre-orders outpacing their system by a dramatic margin, and they absolutely positively hit the panic button. How else can this be interpreted with Microsoft and Xbox lackeys constantly defending their previous stances on DRM? They basically told consumers that their way was right and that consumers and gamers just "didn't understand." And we're supposed to automatically forgive them and their past arrogance?!
A company backed away from something that may cost them?

Well damn!

It's all funny because this is also what Sony most likely did as well.

And well yes I guess you should forgiven them for their arrogance. People have forgiven Sony haven't they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8