• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Clash on Titans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Well, as usual, me and Bamboo have relatively different opinions, but that's OK

Attack on Titan stays strong as number one for me. It's done a great job keeping the tension at its peak episode after episode, and the atmosphere of dread, terror and impending doom play out fantastically. I'm going to be one of the few who doesn't hate Eren's guts. Yeah, he was quite a douche in episode two, but he's been your pretty average shonen hero from then on and I'm really drawn by his passion, and how he's actually able to learn from his mistakes while simultaneously moving others. And unlike others, I do feel connected to the cast, to Mikasa's worries, to Armin's fear and Jean's horror at being the bearer of others' lives.

Gargantia has slipped a little because the transvestite attack and shit, but like others, I don't think the "fanservice episodes" were a complete waste. In one we find Ledo, who's used to being in combat and constant work all of his life, finding that he has no useful abilities in this new environment. The next gives Ledo a place within Gargantia and deepens his relationship with Amy, which makes the parting on episode 8 harder to both. And I also disagree that Ledo refusing to accept the Gargantian's view on whalesquids is excessively bullheaded. He's been educated to fight and eliminate these creatures on sight and he seriously believes that they will turn on mankind in the future because he has seen them. I especially find his conversation with Bebel beautiful "I don't want this planet to become like the Alliance, where Bebel can't live". He's not being bullheaded. He's being true to what he believes is right, to what he's always been taught to be right, and simultaneously, he's slowly forming his own view and opinion on things, and wanting to protect Bebel is a demonstration of this. I dare you to try and convince some religious fanatic that his whatever belief is wrong because science. It's the same here, and I think the ideological clash was represented fantastically. I haven't watched episode 9 because I'm waiting for some CR pass to fall down from the sky , but so far I'm not dissatisfied at all with the show

I'm disappointed that Bamboo dropped Crime Edge. Yeah, episode 8 was less than stellar -actually, it was awful- but episode 9 made up for it, being super creepy-cute and giving more dimension to Rulebook's character and his Instead. I also wanted to point out a correction. Rulebook/Seigi wasn't the one to organize the party. Gossip and Violet Witch did, Seigi just took advantage and hijacked it.

Arata remains interesting and fun. I really liked the latest episodes that gave more insight to Arata in the real world, though I fear that now that spoiler[Kadowaki has come to Amawakuni], we won't be seeing Arata at all. Once again, I disagree with the assessment of not connecting to the characters. From day one, something that stroke me strongly about this series whas the theme about trust and betrayal. Hinohara embodies this theme with how he has suffered from multiple betrayals and how he reacts to both of them: his difficulty in trusting others and how he simpathizes with the betrayed princess. And I thought Kannagi being betrayed by Akachi was part of this and was played pretty nicely, with Akachi's coldhearted revenge and Kannagi's consequent despair. I don't know, I really enjoy this show. Maybe because of all the gay vibes that Akachi and Kannagi send to each other in the ending theme.

Saint Seiya Omega will remain my guilty love for trash until the end of my days. Yes, it's bad and silly, and the new season has a walking commercial for the Subaru cars whose attack is the Pleiades Super Attack -get it? get it? Subaru? Pleiades? GET IT!!- but Eden's episode was fantastic; making him such a tragic figure works really well with the darker tone they're giving to these wars. And Athena calling on all Saints and actually explaining what the fudge was going on instead of just asking Seiya and friends to save her while she prayed for the world was great too. And Shun getting a new cloth. Actually, Subaru's episode was the only actually crappy one of this bunch. Maybe Latin Americans have some gene to love Saint Seiya? I don't know, I just enjoy this so damn much.

UtaPri 2000% is getting sillier with each passing episode and I can't say I'm particularly happy with the direction the plot has taken -making Cecil the central character and having most of the plot revolver around him-. I'm kind of unhappy with how Quartet Night has just been kind of there doing nothing of notice except for that fab concert in episode 1. I really want to know more about these guys but everything's about Cecil, who I find incredibly boring

Devil Survivor 2, unlike all the shows above, has managed to kill off half of its cast and 90% of the world population without me giving a shit. The only truly powerful moment, imho, is that Hibiki with Alcor, on the bridge, realizing the world has no possible salvation. And then the series just forgets about that and the next episode spoiler[has Hibiki and Alcor playing buddy-buddy]. I don't get it

Karneval's latest episode has managed to slightly keep my interest, but the overall of it is so boring I want to die. And, as I mentioned in the series's thread, I find it incredibly annoying that, having such a vibrant cast and bright color-palette, everything seems to happen in dark places and/or at night, where all these bright colors are dulled out. It may be nitpicking from me, but it just kills one of the very few things that this show has going for it.

And the reasons I keep watching Mushibugyo remain unchanged:
1. Jinbei's ridiculous, over-the-top and kind of cute excessive formal speech
2. Koikawa's "ka ka"
3. Mugai being so hot
I'm going to add that the latest episode introduced a plot element that I didn't even pay attention to when it was first mentioned -the murder of Koikawa's mother- and while at first it seemed just the usual stupid shit, the twist they've taken of spoiler[making Mugai a possible suspect] is at least more interesting than slaughtering gigantic insects endlessly. Seriously, how is this show going to last 25 episodes?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

I agree with you about Karneval. The pacing did bother me at first but now I've gotten used to it and I'm kinda enjoying it. It helps that Kamiya Hiroshi and Mamoru Miyano are voicing Gareki and Yogi and that makes me squeal.

And regarding your question about preorders, Karneval(Anime) Volume 1's sales are out. It sold 7.3k for it's first week. Which is pretty good. Though the estimates for volume 2 are at 3.5k but actually volume 1 was according to estimates only supposed to sell 6k so I think volume 2 will sell 1k more making it 4.5k.
The manga sales also increased. It went from not ranking in the best sellers list at all to selling 60k for it's latest manga volume(volume 11)

Thank you! I also agree about the voice actors.

It's nice that the anime sales have been decent. I wonder what numbers they would like to pull to create a continuation? A cliff-hanger would be unfortunate. Or, worse, an anime-only ending.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I don't know about the writing style of the novels or how closely the anime is following the story in the novels, but I know someone that has the novels and have asked him for the info. I'll let you know if I get an answer. I am fine with the writing style of the anime, obviously. I like the pacing and the methods used to tell the story. Much better than being spoon fed the story by having everything explained for us.

Quoting myself... hmmmm... Is being self-referential cool or the ultimate in narcissism? LOL!

Anyway, my buddy that has all 6 RDG novels and (I think) has read all of them says that they are being very faithful to the novels, frequently right down to the exact dialog. He said that there is much more detail in the novels and that the show would have benefited from being a two cour series because they have skipped some stuff. So they are skipping things, but the parts of the story they are animating are very faithful to the books...

He was very worried because the end of episode 8 was the end of Book 3, leaving 3 books and four episodes to go. However, they covered about two-thirds of book 4 in episode 9, leaving about 700 pages of text for the next 3 episodes, which is doable, but may feel rushed. (Isn't that always the way it goes? sigh) Of course, they could end it at the end of book 5 with the intent of doing a movie or OVA or something to finish it. PA Works has done things like that in the past (Hanasaku Iroha).

As for the writing style, he said it is kind of a "first person from multiple perspectives" kind of thing, with much of it being from Izumiko's perspective, but sometimes from others. Kind of like the anime... Not sure about any specifics.

I do wish there was an English translation of this series of novels!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
As predicted, Shingeki no Kyojin has moved up into the number 1 slot. ^____^
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Attack on Titan is entertainingly ridiculous, but it's mostly just ridiculous. The huge naked derpfaced cannibals are trying too hard to be scary while the actors are trying too hard to be dramatic...it's too silly to feel important. Combat fanservice, basically. It's not quite as awful as it looked to me at first, but its popularity remains a mystery to me.

I mostly agree with this. Sure, it's a pretty entertaining show but from what we've seen so far, i really don't get it how people can call it 'masterpiece' or 'the best show in years'. For now i'm enjoying the action but i'm not sure if this will be enough for 25 eps. I just hope the focus won't be too much on our NOBODY IS ANGRIER THAN ME!!! protagonist (even though his face sure is amusing) and we'll get to know the others a bit more spoiler[not killing everyone off after half an episode might help...]...and yeah, more plot wouldn't hurt either. I gotta admit that i thought the latest plot twist was a bit silly, but it's still too early to judge, i suppose. On the positive side, one thing i love about the series is that gender doesn't seem to matter all that much (and the kickass females that don't even wear skimpy outfits and/or have big boobs for once!).
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is already one of my favorite new animes of the season and its actually the only one that I have continued to watch so far.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
getchman wrote:
So is anyone watching Mushibugyou? It's absolutely ridiculous and I'd say it's arguably the worst show this season, but even so, I am enjoying it.

Well, you know I am. I think there are at least 4 of us. Smile And it's far from the worst show this season. It pains me to imagine Bamboo sitting through 8 episodes of Photo Kano (based on her comments and the two episodes I endured), when she could have been enjoying Mushibugyou instead. Anime smallmouth At least the fan service doesn't make you feel like you need a shower afterward. In fact it's actually kind of sweet, which I can't believe I just said, but it's true.

She's said somewhere, maybe in the first Stream for the season, that she really can't stand bugs, so she's not going to enjoy Mushibugyo no matter what the quality. With so many shows this season, can't really blame her for dropping one that'll be torture to watch by definition. Presence or absence in the list shouldn't be taken as an objective mark of quality, you need to read the reasons why.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
If you are really expecting any resolution to the Chihaya-Taichi-Arata triangle this season, Bamboo, I'm wondering if we are watching the same show. I can probably sketch out the remaining quarter- and semifinal matches, and I, like a lot of folks, expect the finals to match up Arata and Shinobu. Taichi might make the class B finals, probably against Rion, while Chihaya sits on the sidelines. Will she run from one match to the other, or will she stay riveted on Arata and Shinobu? I'm guessing the latter.

I haven't read any of the Chihayafuru manga, so this is just speculation on my part. Still I don't see much that would lead to the resolution you seek. We know that Arata wants to go to Tokyo, but that won't be until a whole other year has passed. If we do get a third season of Chihayafuru, it will presumably follow our plucky karuta players through their final year of high school. Maybe there will be some resolution then.

I'm actually more curious about what Chihaya might do after graduation. She is portrayed as a weak student, so she's unlikely to qualify for a top university. From what I can tell by reading about karuta on the Internet, it's more of a hobby than a profession, unlike Go or Shougi. Becoming Queen would be an enormous personal accomplishment, but then what?

Shinobu's entire lack of social and sexual development is rather hilarious. I suspect she might harbor some feelings for Arata beyond competitive ones, but I'd also guess she has no idea what they are or what to do with them. The scene where she disrobes, and the mixed messages that sends, is very telling, I thought.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So is anyone watching Mushibugyou? It's absolutely ridiculous and I'd say it's arguably the worst show this season, but even so, I am enjoying it.

Right here. Just finished watching the latest episode of it, Gargantia and Devil Survivor today. :)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Presence or absence in the list shouldn't be taken as an objective mark of quality, you need to read the reasons why.

I did read her reasons, and while she said she didn't like bugs, she also said she wanted the monster bugs all blown to smithereens. That wasn't why she said she dropped the show (she even mentioned marathoning a box set later). She just wasn't interested enough in what she'd seen to keep going.

Her main complaints were the shounen tropes and unoriginality in the episodes she watched, and I actually agreed with her on everything she said about it. I could definitely understand why she gave it the boot, but my position was that she let it go too soon, because around episode 5, it really started to grow beyond its original parameters.

Don't get me wrong, it's still full of tropes and hit-and-miss humor, but Jinbee is a protagonist in a slightly different mold from the standard, in that he doesn't think he's the best or knows everything, and he's simply trying to get better without feeling the need to show off to everyone all the time. Even his bragging is self-effacing. "Just leave it to me! I'll do my best to not get in your way!" He's a refreshing take on an old standard, and I'm having fun watching it each week. So I hope Bamboo will follow through and watch at least a few more episodes, somewhere down the line. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5