• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Learning the Language

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castillo1380

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
A few days ago I was talking with a buddy of of mine who is also really into anime. Somehow we ended up talking learning the japanese language. After watching the countless ammounts of fansubbed anime, he said he was actually learning the language. I myself can belive this up to a point seeing how I was able to pick up a couple words (Mabe like 5). So i'm wondering is it really possible to learn a good chuck of the language from just watching fansubbed anime?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
HolySniper489 wrote:
A few days ago I was talking with a buddy of of mine who is also really into anime. Somehow we ended up talking learning the japanese language. After watching the countless ammounts of fansubbed anime, he said he was actually learning the language. I myself can belive this up to a point seeing how I was able to pick up a couple words (Mabe like 5). So i'm wondering is it really possible to learn a good chuck of the language from just watching fansubbed anime?

Sure,if you want to sound like an over-dramatic, thirteen year old girl.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
A good chunk? I don't know about that. I think you eventually learn enough so every now and then you can know what they're saying.

You'll know a couple dozen words and another dozen phrases if you watch a lot of subbed anime.

Unfortunately, I could watch a hentai and know like half of what(actually know the words, not guessing Wink ) they're saying in the sex scenes just cause it's very formulaic..heh..but watching an actual anime, I'm nowhere near that. I've probably learned as many words from watching anime as I have from looking certain words up in an english<->japanese dictionary.

A lot of anime just has so many reused words/phrases with few specific nouns. You don't hear cup or wood or stapler very often in an anime. So it's good for those same phrases, but you won't hear a big vocabulary.

I think it is probably better to watch anime to practice the language but not to specifically learn it. You definitely do pick some stuff up from just watching though.
energydan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess you'll pick up a few words. However, if you really want to learn the language you'd be better off studying it occasionally as a hobby or something.

Not trying to stereotype anyone, but when I took Japanese in college there were a lot of people in my classes that learned much of what they knew from watching anime. They had a lot of useless knowledge, as far as knowing how to say random words in Japanese, but they were clueless when it came to basic conversation.

Anime is a good way to help you adjust to listening and comprehending the language, but don't count on it to teach you Japanese that one would use in real life situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It does help to some extent. While taking a Japanese language course, it helped me review some grammar/vocabulary that I had recently learned, and it helped my pronounciation somewhat as well.

Word of advice though: If you ever go to Japan, DO NOT speak like any anime characters you've seen in any given series (especially the shounen heroes)! That will get you odd looks.

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes you could learn a few things and you can also learn stuff you're not supposed to know (like vulgarity, etc.). Also note that the things done and said in anime is not the only way the language is used in Japan.
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Random generalization?

My mom recently graduated from law school and one of her classmates was all into anime. So (she came from Osaka and is fluent) she was talking to him in Japanese and said he was nearly fluent. When she asked him how he learned his Japanese he said he learned it entirely from watching anime, and she was pretty shocked. I've learned quite a bit by watching anime, as well. If you pay close attention and make note of what they're saying, you can actually pick up quite a bit. It might be different for me because I already know a decent amount conversation-wise, so although I've learned new words, much of it was just reinforcement of stuff I learned in the past. You'll probably only be able to converse basic Japanese at best, though. All I know is that it helped me learn many new things, but I don't know if you're starting from scratch.
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Fui"]
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Random generalization?

[quote]

Actually I got a laugh out of that! Laughing

I've picked up a few phrases. I find there's some help when it's actually a badly-subtitled one. (Anyone see Negima?) Reason being that the two laguages are so different gramtically speaking, that sometimes you can learn a lot from a mis-translation; you learn more about how they structure their sentences, when they try to use the same structure with english words.

But I think to be fluent, you'd have to:
1) Be pretty gifted with languages. I'm pretty good myself, but not that good.
2) Take notes. (That's what I would need to do anyway.)
and...
3) Watch WAY TOO MUCH ANIME!!!! (Is that even possible?) Very Happy
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I think that you can learn only a couple of phrases and words from just watching anime. Of course, if you watch so much of it you'll eventually have a stacked vocabulary, though I don't think enough to be fluent. I picked up about seven different phrases just by watching one series. I guess it's not impossible just highly improbable.
energydan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Random generalization?

My mom recently graduated from law school and one of her classmates was all into anime. So (she came from Osaka and is fluent) she was talking to him in Japanese and said he was nearly fluent. When she asked him how he learned his Japanese he said he learned it entirely from watching anime, and she was pretty shocked. I've learned quite a bit by watching anime, as well. If you pay close attention and make note of what they're saying, you can actually pick up quite a bit. It might be different for me because I already know a decent amount conversation-wise, so although I've learned new words, much of it was just reinforcement of stuff I learned in the past. You'll probably only be able to converse basic Japanese at best, though. All I know is that it helped me learn many new things, but I don't know if you're starting from scratch.

That's rare though. Her classmate was either exaggerating about anime being his only guide or he is amazingly good at picking up languages. Also helps to know if he had known any other similar languages before learning Japanese.

Either way, if you are serious about learning Japanese, anime is not the way to do it. You could use anime to complement it, but a 30 minutes spent reading/studying a Japanese textbook/website would be 100x more beneficial than just watching an episode of a subtitled anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
You really have to be I mean sure I picked up a lot of my Japanese from anime at least in terms of understanding and recognizing words and understanding them from basic translation but I have to say that if you pick up all of your Japanese from anime people will definetly look at you funny. If you want to learn Japanese watch anime read manga it will help but definetly also study the language.
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
THIS IS A BAD IDEA. Seriously. That's like learning English from The O.C.. If you talk like they do, you're going to sound like a douchebag, especially if you copy some super-idiosyncratic character, like, say, Tsuruya from "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". Don't you do that. Don't be that person.
m00nshine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well i have manage to pick up many words and sayings but to actually speak it in a conversation is really hard. They have a completely different grammer system and word placement system then we do. So yeah you can learn some but unless you really put in ALOT of effort to learn the language i doubt you can become fluent in it.
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
I would never consider learning any language from entertainment. I can learn a few words, sure, but anime would never let me know if I'm sounding like a goof or saying things wrong (same thing as sounding like a goof, so I'm redundant here).

Now, while anime won't let you know if you're saying things wrong, co-workers won't let you know you're saying wrong things. Oh the things they got me to say in Spanish. I still don't know why I enjoy repeating them. But I digress.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Random generalization?

Like, totally no, like whatever girlfriend~~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3