• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
I recently watched Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi and came out of it with a completely empty feeling. I know that some series have open ended or vague endings on purpose, but they will at least accomplish in giving you some idea about where the central theme in the story might go. AYA~E seemed like it did nothing of the kind. Am I wrong about this?

First of all I don't even know why I got hooked on the series, it is not really anything spectacular and sometimes even seems like a creepy mix between Ah! My Goddess and Ichigo 100%, but I am hooked, so when I got a good price on the 3 volumes of the sequel on a 'buy 2 dvds get 1 free' deal, I went for it. However now I somewhat regret purchasing it.

The central story, in my opinion, is the Kaoru/Aoi relationship and how it has to be kept secret from everyone including housemates. spoiler[In every episode we got at least a glimpse of their relationship and something else to let us know that thanks to all his friends, they hadn't really advanced at all in the past 2 years], but that was it. spoiler[No progress made one way or the other, the only person that even hints at knowing something is Tina, however thanks to her own arc, the final episodes did not even center on the main characters, who, again, were left without any proper advancement in their relationship. ]

So did I miss something important, because I feel this series did not give me anything? Does anyone feel the same? At least the first series spoiler[had the arc at the end with Aoi's father and how he wanted to marry her off to someone else] to give it some some proper tension and a feeling that something was accomplished when it ended. But for this sequel, I feel spoiler[Tina going to the US and possibly not returning should have been a secondary storyline not the main one at the end.] Was this series cancelled early? That might be another explanation.

A question to any AYA manga readers, does the manga fill the holes any better, or a better question would be, does it even have these types of holes? If it doesn't maybe I'll purchase those as well, just so I can get rid of this empty feeling about these characters, who I was expecting a lot more from and actually grew to like.

Sorry about the rant, and I also apologize if the topic's been covered before.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
A question to any AYA manga readers, does the manga fill the holes any better, or a better question would be, does it even have these types of holes? If it doesn't maybe I'll purchase those as well, just so I can get rid of this empty feeling about these characters, who I was expecting a lot more from and actually grew to like.

Please take a look at my old posts here and here. Two more volumes have been released since the second post, so I'll add some advancements: spoiler[the new Hanabishi heir has kidnapped Aoi-chan and tries to force her to marry him. Kaoru plans to go for rescue.]

Now all I need is to pursuade my regular manga rental to buy the final two volumes....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Please take a look at my old posts here and here. Two more volumes have been released since the second post, so I'll add some advancements: spoiler[the new Hanabishi heir has kidnapped Aoi-chan and tries to force her to marry him. Kaoru plans to go for rescue.]

Now all I need is to pursuade my regular manga rental to buy the final two volumes....

Thanks! I knew the characters had to be doing a lot more than what the series suggest, and I should have realized that an ongoing manga series could have also affected the anime.

I think I had already pretty much convinced myself to do it, but I very rarely read manga, so I needed an extra kick, and just reading the bits in your posts has got me interested even more, so I very likely will end up starting on the manga. Good luck on getting the rental to pick up those last 2 volumes.

And sorry again, to everyone, for indeed bringing up an old topic.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

dormcat, you are referring to the original Japanese releases here, right? The most recent volume released in the U.S. (within the past couple of weeks) is vol. 13.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dormcat, you are referring to the original Japanese releases here, right? The most recent volume released in the U.S. (within the past couple of weeks) is vol. 13.

Nope. Even with my days in US, I read the Chinese Taiwan version licensed by Ever Glory via a bookstore/rental at Rowland Heights, CA. If I recall correctly I read it until vol. 12 before returning to Taiwan. I read two additional volumes at my local manga rental back here. Of which, I love the cover of vol. 14 in particular: Aoi-chan's facial expression has shown that she is now a mature, independent, mindstrong beautiful young woman, not just a stereotypical osananajimi.

However, her character development went backwards with the 15th volume:

The licensed version here is up to vol. 16 (released on April 19; weird, Ever Glory doesn't have a picture on their website yet), and I've already seen the imported finale (vol. 17) on shelves of specialty stores e.g. animate Taipei. The cover of vol. 17 is Aoi-chan in traditional Japanese gown (juunihitoe 十二単), while an official "final fanbook" features her in Western-styled wedding gown.

Last edited by dormcat on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, interesting. Unfortunately vol. 14 in English isn't due out in the States until October. Sad

To get back to undeadben's original question, a short second season of Ai Yori Aoshi was only made because the first season was a surprise big hit, and Enishi was only licensed, too, because the original series became a surprise hit in the States as well. The whole anime production follows the manga series relatively closely up through parts of the 11th volume (albeit with the order of events scrambled a bit), which was all that had been released in Japan at the time that Enishi aired. That's probably why more wasn't made; because the manga story was still in the works and the anime staff probably didn't want to step past it and force a conclusion, as has happened in a lot of other series.

While the second season looks great, a lot of even those who are big fans of the original have been disappointed with Enishi because it's nearly all filler, so your reaction isn't uncommon, undeadben.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Key, that definitely makes sense. Still, I would have preferred a well done 1 or 2 part OAV after the manga was concluded, even years later, rather than a filler series before waiting for progress in the manga. However, I understand for the companies involved it's probably best to try and make some money while it's known a product is hot.

However I'll take solice in the manga itself, I only ordered volumes 1-5 today, but since the next release for the US is still a few months away I don't suppose I need to rush.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
I'm definately with you though undeadben. I never even saw the original, but I borrowed this show from a friend and really enjoyed watching it. Maybe it's because I was so sick of the unbelievably stereotypical shows like Ah My Goddess, but Enishi just seemed like a completely differently done harem show to me and I don't really know why.

Because I hadn't seen the original or read the manga I didn't particularly have any attachment to seeing the main relationship develop, and as I said in a different thread the other day, I really like shows that surprise me or don't do things like other shows. Enishi most definitely surprised me with the whole Tina thing; while I really wanted Aoi and Kaoru to get together, you just can't help but like Tina and want her to somehow work things out for that happy ending you expect from these shows.

Hehe, was just looking through myanime and it occured to me that I gave this show an 8, the highest I've given any of the harem shows I've seen (though it's tied with 2-3 others) Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
AYA is a definite cut above the norm for harem shows, which is probably why it was such a hit. Although he may be tempted on one or two occasions, there's never any question about where the male lead's heart lies, and unlike most harem shows AYA very firmly establishes up front why the central couple is (and should be) a couple. It also doesn't hurt that nearly every scene involving only the central couple is thoroughly endearing.

And selenta, if you've never seen the original series then you at least need to go back and see the first volume of it. If you rated Enishi so high, then the first four episodes of the first series (where the central relationship is being established and before most of the annoying side characters come into the picture) will probably be enormously enjoyable for you.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Selenta, I also think you should give the first series a shot, even if it is only the first volume. It did not really have a surprise ending as you seem to enjoy, but it is a nice series and I enjoyed it much much more than the sequel. And I'll also agree that it really does differ from other harem series.

The thing I find annoying and typical to some harem series is the male lead will usually tend to be either an exaggeratedly plain ordinary guy or a particularly honest sincere guy who happens to be hopelessly clumsy. And then we usually get a large assortment of unique and interesting female characters, and for the most part I am thinking 'why would any of them, much less all of them, like this guy.'

The only two series that follow this formula that I consider anime that I enjoyed, besides AYA, are in fact A!MG (although it's not really harem), and Love Hina.

So this is where part of my enjoyment for the AYA first season comes from. Kaoru is an honest and sincere character, but he is not ridiculously clumsy. Also he has a strong background that actually makes him interesting as a character, and after seeing him you can tell why others, not just Aoi, would like him, as friend or otherwise.

And as key mentioned it is also almost completely unique in that you never really see Kaoru's heart waver from Aoi. This is the girl he wants and will endure for. No love triangles, that are usually hit or miss for a series, and no love polygons which are more typical to the harem series.

So along with learning this about him, and also more about Aoi's past I started to continually have this feeling that there was something big behind them both that we were not supposed to see yet. And I am a sucker for character driven storylines, so I got hooked.

And then afterwards disappointed by AYA~E, but not much of anything anywhere is perfect.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry you felt empty after seeing the two series.

I too thought a bit much was devoted to the periphery vice the central figures, especially in Enishi, but I am thinking it is just the way stories are told in Japan. They add more characters to keep it interesting, we use fewer to cut costs. Go figure.

What I got from this franchise is the feeling that to do my best everyday is vital. That is, if I want a woman in my life of Aoi's caliber. And, I am really trying. Ok, so the inside of my house isn't perfect yet, but my yard and garden are terrific. Show me your anime shelves, I'll show you my house.

Ok, so this series was more inspirational than sensational. I can easily live with that.

I hope in the last couple of manga that Kaoru's and Aoi's relationship does something. Get out of that damn closet you two!
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Jaybug39, Good to hear about your house, I'm backwards, my yard is not too good, but it's hard to get it to look like anything when you live in a desert. But I'm happy with the progress inside. (although anime-wise, aside from the Ranma DVD/Manga shelf, not too many other anime shelves to really brag about.) And one more thing; it's almost football.

Back on topic:
jaybug39 wrote:
Ok, so this series was more inspirational than sensational. I can easily live with that.

I don't know about inspiration or sensational but I was really expecting more. I'm debating with myself about where it might be that you found these thoughts on the story, and on the positive side it is making me think about the series again, on the downside it is making me think about the ending again.

I should have put an expedite on the shipping for the manga.

Quote:
I hope in the last couple of manga that Kaoru's and Aoi's relationship does something. Get out of that damn closet you two!

This would be progress, if anything's kept in the pantry(closet) too long it gets stale. I'd like to see at least a little closet 'peaking' while I read the series, I hope I don't have to wait untill the final page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1