• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ninjas!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herzog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
How many anime have you seen that have ninjas in them? Not samurai but ninja. How many have you seen where the ninja has near mystical powers or abilities? Personally, when I watch these anime like Ninja Scroll or Blood Reign I want to be a ninja jumping through the trees and flinging shuriken.

How about you guys? Any particular anime inspired flights of fancy in you?
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, one that quickly comes to mind would be Naruto. And I share that in common with you. It would be really cool to jump through trees and throw shurikan/kunai with deadly precision. If your into ninja-themed anime I definitly recommend Naruto. If I recall correctly Ninja Scroll is pretty bloody (?) and Naruto is directed more towards a younger audience (I believe that's called shounen anime right?)
herzog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really looking for any anime suggestions but thanks I've always wondered about that title. I'm just looking to see what anime (if any) make people daydream themselves into.
Krylancelo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I dont think Naruto is directed towards kids. The dubs seem to be lol, but the subs have a lot of blood/cursing. Shounen mean "boy" I think, so that means it is directed toward a male audience, not just young people.

Anyway, an anime that makes me daydream is DBZ. Not only do I daydream about flying around and stuff, I nightdream it lol. I've actually had dreams about flying and/or wishing for a high power level in order to fly lol, kinda strange...
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for the moves they pull off in Prince of Tennis. When I watch it, I wish I could go to a tennis court, jump 10 feet in the air, and smash the ball into the opposing court while making an explosion sound that can be heard a mile away. And of course, with the dramatic music as well ("Honki Moodo" will do nicely).

Krylancelo wrote:
I don't think Naruto is directed towards kids. The dubs seem to be lol, but the subs have a lot of blood/cursing. Shounen mean "boy" I think, so that means it is directed toward a male audience, not just young people.

Naruto IS directed towards kids. It's a typical shounen anime which promotes themes such as friendship and teamwork, and consists of a young hero who has a goal, and gradually becomes stronger and stronger while making new friends and defeating enemies. Japan is more lenient when it comes to censorship and exposing kids to mild violence/profanity than we are, and containing such doesn't change the target demographic of a series, when most of the content is clearly geared toward the said demographic.
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
Oh come on the ninja from naruto arnt actualy ninja they have absoultly no tact.... they shout and confront an enemy head on, there more like samurai without swords.. ninja are ment to be stealthy recons and assasins using every trick in the book and keepin undercover at all times..

however on topic.. kino's journey inspired me to travel more and gundam inspired me to comand huge weapons of destruction..... sadly impossible, iven if they were invented they wouldnt let me piolt it, i have extremly litte amount of coordination
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
Oh come on the ninja from naruto arnt actualy ninja they have absoultly no tact.... they shout and confront an enemy head on, there more like samurai without swords.. ninja are ment to be stealthy recons and assasins using every trick in the book and keepin undercover at all times..

Yes they are. At least, the majority of the characters are. It's just that Naruto isn't supposed to be an "ordinary" ninja. How much fun would it be to watch someone being stealthy all the time? (No action in a shounen?!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How much fun would it be to watch someone being stealthy all the time?

suppose your right but he could be a little more stealthy, not just replicating him self, shouting and jumping fist first in to the enemy, thats more boring than stealth
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
Quote:
How much fun would it be to watch someone being stealthy all the time?

suppose your right but he could be a little more stealthy, not just replicating him self, shouting and jumping fist first in to the enemy, thats more boring than stealth

Yes, at first he's a lot like that, but as he grows he improves. I would recommend Naruto after the first two seasons. (The current manga arc is the best, I think.) Too bad one would miss the entire introduction....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
but as he grows he improves

im not sure what you mean by that, i was talking about every episode he fights a new enemy....
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
herzog wrote:
I'm not really looking for any anime suggestions but thanks I've always wondered about that title. I'm just looking to see what anime (if any) make people daydream themselves into.

This statement along with your thread title and opening statment really go off in two directions. First you ask what shows we have seen that have ninjas, then you ask what anime makes us daydream?! Clear this up because this thread is confusing.

However to stick with what your first post says an anime I have seen with ninja that have near mystical abilities would be Flame Of Recca. Its a show about a teenage guy who dreams of being a ninja to serve his hime (princess). Recca as a character is very similar to Naruto in that they're not your typical ninjas. The Mystical aspect would be the elemental weapons which a lot of the fighters use.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Naruto IS directed towards kids. It's a typical shonen anime which promotes themes such as friendship and teamwork, and consists of a young hero who has a goal, and gradually becomes stronger and stronger while making new friends and defeating enemies.

How does that mean that it is suited for children? I am certain that this theme would appeal to many adults as well, as long as it was done in a manner that was not too repetitive and boring.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
DemonDragonJ wrote:
frentymon wrote:
Naruto IS directed towards kids. It's a typical shonen anime which promotes themes such as friendship and teamwork, and consists of a young hero who has a goal, and gradually becomes stronger and stronger while making new friends and defeating enemies.

How does that mean that it is suited for children? I am certain that this theme would appeal to many adults as well, as long as it was done in a manner that was not too repetitive and boring.

And yet, it is repetitive- a common trait of material geared toward children who loves to see their favorite characters and moves over and over again.

Adults can, and do, like it of course, but it's still created with children in mind.

I really don't think I could name an adult-themed anime that focuses on the friendship/goal achievement ideals in their pure form. Friendship is partnered (heavily) with betrayal, achievment with utter defeat... in the more mature shows, you can't just try hard and have things work out- the world is far more complex than that. I suppose that's the difference.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DemoDragonJ wrote:

Naruto may appeal to adults, but that doesn't change its target demographic, which is kids. These themes are generally more emphasized, simple to comprehend and do not require too much thought, and touched upon in shounen titles than they are in titles geared toward an older demographic. Just because a series is geared toward a certain demographic doesn't mean people outside of that demographic don't enjoy watching them. I mean, I know adults who still like Doraemon, and my 10-year-old cousin enjoyed watching Kino's Journey.
herzog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
herzog wrote:

This statement along with your thread title and opening statment really go off in two directions. First you ask what shows we have seen that have ninjas, then you ask what anime makes us daydream?! Clear this up because this thread is confusing.

However to stick with what your first post says an anime I have seen with ninja that have near mystical abilities would be Flame Of Recca. Its a show about a teenage guy who dreams of being a ninja to serve his hime (princess). Recca as a character is very similar to Naruto in that they're not your typical ninjas. The Mystical aspect would be the elemental weapons which a lot of the fighters use.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Ninjas was my hook to reel you in. The rest was what I was thinking on the subject including my question. Seems clear to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2