• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at my Guide on TV and noticed that the IFC channel is showing episodes of Samurai 7. Never seen it, but I heard good things about it. My question is, is it a more serious anime, or does it have comedic filler episodes ala Samurai Champloo? Oh, and is there a lot of action?
Cloud506

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic to me that you post a question like this because i've told a cousin of mine who happens to also be named matt, about this anime recently and he won't get it.....

I've only seen 6 or 7 episodes of samurai 7 so far but i'd say it's worth watching. It's defiantly a serious anime, i don't delieve i've heard a single thing that reminds me of champloo. The action is good, but like in usual anime it starts off slow, but by 4th or 5th ep it gets into a lot of action. Anything else?
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
The original movie was quite serious, so I wouldn't expect any more humor than the usual quiet intervals intended to get us more attached to the characters that we've already seen.

What I'm finding fascinating is that the climactic final battle with the bandits looks like it's going to go down well before the end of the series, possibly even beginning the next episode. I'll be interested to see what they do afterwards, since that was the big finale of the movie.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
I was actually very iffy about this series at first, but now I am glad I gave it a good chance.

It is definitely serious, however it does have some comedic releif (I.E. the characters Kikochyo and Komachi, though both have their serious sides as well). I started collecting it a couple weeks ago and have seen to about episode 16. Up until about episode 11 or 12, their is not too much action, but the action that is there is awesome (Kambei and Kyozo's duel especially) but then in volume 4 its just straight balls-to-the-wall, gut-wrenching action. Definitely check it out.

Quote:
What I'm finding fascinating is that the climactic final battle with the bandits looks like it's going to go down well before the end of the series, possibly even beginning the next episode. I'll be interested to see what they do afterwards, since that was the big finale of the movie.

I haven't seen the original film (though it IS on my list from Netflix) but I kind of figured that would be where the film ended. However, the battle against the Nobuseri at the village spans 4 episodes (including the last one that aired), and it is something else I'd have to say, PHEW!
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so it has started? Thanks for the info, Rancorous. I have to pull the original out again very soon, but I think I remember there were one or two raids before everything hit the fan. I guess they've condensed everything. They've already moved some of Katsushiro and Kikochyo's big scenes up. spoiler[In the movie, I think I remember Katsushiro's first kill and the revealation of Kikichyo's non-secret happen during the final battle.]

Speaking of Kambei and Kyozo, if you don't mind a little movie spoiler spoiler[I was amused by the respectful rivalry there, which I don't remember happening in the movie. In the movie, Kyozo has much more to do with Katsushiro, to whom he becomes almost a father figure.]

Glad to see you have the original lined up. I don't have to go into my You Must See It mode Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The series doesn't lose any steam after the big fight with the bandits. Like many I'm waiting for the 7th and final volumes release by Funimation. There are some very dramatic moments in the 6th volume which remind me of the later volumes of the Nausicaa manga. It's been many years since I've seen Seven Samurai so it is a bit hard to compare the two for me. I believe a new 3 disc edition will be comming out soon for the Kurosawa film.
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
What about the graphics though, im not keen on robots in CG, i prefer the drawn stuff but where do robots come in anyway??? I would of tryed to watch it if it was just samurai fighting

BtW im talkin about the big Mecha's not the people-robots im fine with them
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
Villhelmya wrote:
What about the graphics though, im not keen on robots in CG, i prefer the drawn stuff but where do robots come in anyway??? I would of tryed to watch it if it was just samurai fighting

BtW im talkin about the big Mecha's not the people-robots im fine with them

yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Villhelmya. I like the whole futuristic environment but the GIANT bandit mecha's are a little silly... basically the head bandits either pilot or actually are giant mecha and the "good guys" are mere normal sized people!?!?! While the animation is top notch, it just looks really weird when a normal sized guy takes on a ridiculously large robot in close-combat... People should still check out this show. I intend on watching it again when I find the time.

Last edited by Kidder on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanielJr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The anime overall is very serious. Very very little comedy, if only for relief from all the tension.

Comparing to Samurai Champloo might be a bit misleading. They both got samurai/ronins and what not, but they're entirely different. Samurai 7 is more drama and frantic suspense, while Champloo is more action oriented and laid back.

I personally prefer Champloo over Samurai 7. But to each his own.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
basically the head bandits either pilot or actually are giant mecha and the "good guys" are mere normal sized people!?!?!

heh heh, that's actually what got me to like the show. I'm one of those 'not a mech fan' people, and it just seemed like an unintentional ragging on the mecha-idea, I mean, here are these huge Nobuseri robots with their giant weapons, and the samurai still just hack'em down with no need of their own mechs.

Quote:
What about the graphics though, im not keen on robots in CG, i prefer the drawn stuff but where do robots come in anyway???

Really? Personally, I've come to like Gonzo's mechs (they're CG) but still retain my prejudice against the drawn ones.

The mechs in Samurai 7 are samurai warriors who gave up their human form for a mechanical form that is made purely for battle and nothing else. Not all of them are giant robots though, only the higher ups and the leaders, the rest are smaller, humanoid-shaped robots about average human size, so there is still a hell of a lot of good ol' dueling. I would NOT call this series a mecha-series.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

The mechs in Samurai 7 are samurai warriors who gave up their human form for a mechanical form that is made purely for battle and nothing else. Not all of them are giant robots though, only the higher ups and the leaders, the rest are smaller, humanoid-shaped robots about average human size, so there is still a hell of a lot of good ol' dueling. I would NOT call this series a mecha-series.

yeah, Samurai 7 is definately not a mecha series. It's a classic story with a futuristic twist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1