• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Medicom FMA Toys Coming to America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I really hate it when people throw around words like "maquette" when they really mean "statue". They're two different things. A maquette is a sculpture that is used as a scale representation in the creating of a final product or used as a 3D visual when creating such things as illustrations, animations, video games, and the like. A sculpture that isn't used this way is a statue.

I will say this; Lust is looking better, but we'll see how far you go with getting her right.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I really love the FMA figurines, but I have a little problem wit hthe fact with Edward's hair. It's an amazing figurine, don't get me wrong, but I wish the Edward had hair more liek a Barbie's, instead of sculpted. This is because when you take off his jacket, his braid sticks up oddly. For such a detailed figure, I think a little detail like that would have made it better. The Japanese poseable Edward has the same thing, but it's not as detailed, and it's a fifth of hte price of this 12" one.

And they should make Roy, Riza, Scar, Hughes, Armstrong, and Izumi as well. Those characters either don't have a figurine, or their only figure is a gashapon or unposable. My Riza figurine was a gashapon, but I'd really love a full size version of her. With a gun as well! Razz And I really want a poseable Roy as well! Maybe they could give him interchangable hands as well, and one could have plastic molded to look like flames are coming from his fingers. :p

And the website is a little hard to navigate. I can't find products easily.
Joseph GD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the comments about SI and Medicom. Just as an FYI the FMA Medicom items are only being sold via SI's web site or at SI's booth at conventions. So if you are in North America, Europe or Australia this is the only place to get them. There has been some confusion on this and I wanted to straighten it up.

Links Below:

Alphonse:

http://shop.southernisland.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEDIAAL

Edward:

http://shop.southernisland.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEDIAED
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
This would explain why BBTS took down their preorders. Too bad, they were offering them for less.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joseph GD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Thought you might like to see the Edward action figure from Southern Island painted.

Edward comes with

2x Normal Hands
2x Alchemy (Prayer) Hands
1x Spear Hand
1x Pike Staff
1x Red Water Pillar (This is taller then Ed) Fits into Lab 5 Playset.

All for $14.99 MSRP

More Images at http://www.southernisland.com/forum/Topic498-2-1.aspx
hanachan01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joseph GD wrote:
Thought you might like to see the Edward action figure from Southern Island painted.

Edward comes with

2x Normal Hands
2x Alchemy (Prayer) Hands
1x Spear Hand
1x Pike Staff
1x Red Water Pillar (This is taller then Ed) Fits into Lab 5 Playset.

All for $14.99 MSRP

(Image)

More Images at http://www.southernisland.com/forum/Topic498-2-1.aspx

I have a similar Japanese figure already, so I'm probably not buying it. It looks nice though! I might buy other characters!

The only thing that looks odd is that Ed looks a little like a puppet. His arms and legs are put it a little odd. His face is a little off as well. But it is otherwise a nice figure though.

And what;s this Lab 5 playset?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
It's a nice figure, it's just not a nice Edward figure. The head just looks like a random generic anime character. The hair looks like flattened yellow Play-Doh; it lacks real layers, depth, and detail. His skin color is too pink. The shoulders look way far too detached from the body, very much the wrong choice for a ball joint. He doesn't mesh well at all with your Alphonse figure which represents an entirely different feel and style than this figure.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I refuse to be the type of consumer that just mindlessly praises a product just because it's the manufacturer that's asking. What can I say, I'm honest and I reserve that right as a consumer. At the very least I give reasons for my dissatisfaction.

In all fairness though, I wasn't all that impressed with the Koto Play Arts head sculpts for Ed and Winry either, but they made up for it other ways.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2