• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exposure how does it work.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opaquescum

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
This is more of a tangent on the necessity of the fansub thread, but I felt is was a very distinct sub question so definately deserved a thread of its own. Often when people refer to the usefulness of fansubs they site exposure as a major factor. Either it exposes people who might not have watched anime to anime, or it gets a specific show or movie exposure. Which hypothetically, and I am useing hypothetically at the moment for a reason. Which hypothetically might help to get the show licensed, and released where you live.

Now I understand how exposure works on television. A channel airs a program. That program generates revenue by provideing a platform for advertisers to propose that you buy their wares aka commercials. Technically there is no way for a channel to know how many people are watching it. So they make use of a third party to generate numbers so they can take them to the advertisers. The advertisers in turn are looking for specific things when they want to place a commercial

1. How many people are watching at that timeslot this particular channel.
2. What is the demographic of the audience at that timeslot is it a group we are trying to sell our product too.
3. Based on these numbers how much are we willing to spend to advertise at this timeslot.

In a nutshell cartoon network uses neilson numbers to get a rough guess as to how many people watch Cowboy Bebop. They take the numbers to the advertisers, or the advertisers purchase the numbers. I am not entirely sure who buys the numbers, and so forth. Anyway based on these numbers a price is set on how much a commercial costs to run during that show. Shows that have alot of viewers obviously garner more money for commercials that are aired during them.

Now the licensor also has access to these numbers, and if they see naruto for example is pulling in a million viewers every time its on. Well they say we need to package this for DVD sale. That is how exposure works on television. Those who might sell the DVDs now have a decent guess on what will sell.

Now here is the question how exactly does Fansub exposure work. Do fansub sites provide extrapolations like neilson? In other words can Geneon go to fansub site A, and find out how many people are watching a show like bleach. Maybe the exposure runs off consumers provideing indirect examples of interest like letter writeing. I am really curious as to how the exposure process works with fansubs.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how much companies actually put stock in fansub download numbers, but they're not hard to find...most torrent trackers have windows/sections that show the total number of downloads, and anyone can see it. For example, the third episode of Mai Otome had roughly 60,000 downloads between two fansub groups. More popular series get numbers in the hundreds of thousands; one site made a news announcement about an episode of Naruto getting 300,000 downloads.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I believe you are looking at this in the wrong way, this isnt advertising exposure no ones meant to be making a profit off of this so things like nielson numbers wont be done properly.

How the fansubs garner exposure is that they make a series available to the wider public and allow them to sample a series and decide from that if they want to spend upwards of £80 on a series. If they didn't see it on fansub beforehand chances are they wouldnt take the risk.

(I'd like to point out now that I dont like fansubs and if I see an episode I WILL buy the DVD containing that episode as soon as I can on English R2. Theft doesnt sit well with me.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1