• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gage

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
There is such thing as an American Anime comic, correct?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
"American anime" itself is a contradictory phrase. But I'm pretty sure what you're thinking of is world manga, Amerimanga, OEL, or what Tokyopop likes to call it now, global manga.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I think he means American Cartoons that are considered anime. One such show would be G.I Joe Sigma Six. Aired in America yet with ties to Gonzo since they did the CG in the show if i'm not mistaken so it is considered anime. I think Aeon Flux also fits into this category as well as Hi Hi PuffyAmiYumi.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok I’m just curious which always leads me down a path of chaos and tragedy (just kidding), but samurai jack. I know it’s not anime but the stylistic fighting shows an uncanny resemblance to fighting cinematography in anime. Just wondering what you guys thought.

space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
Ok I’m just curious which always leads me down a path of chaos and tragedy (just kidding), but samurai jack. I know it’s not anime but the stylistic fighting shows an uncanny resemblance to fighting cinematography in anime. Just wondering what you guys thought.

I think Samuri Jack I clearly not anime. However it is a terrific show. And they should put it back on the air. Hell I would rather see that, than TGttM on [as] anyday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I believe Genndy Tartakovsky was trying to be as cinematic as he could get when making Jack. I think he was looking more at Akira Kurosawa than any specific anime.

But no, American anime is like American Champagne. It just isn't. It's a cartoon, it's sparkling wine. Champagne is a place in France, Cheddar is a place in England. Anime is a thing Japanese. We could copy it, have it look just like, but technically it would not be anime.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
But no, American anime is like American Champagne. It just isn't. It's a cartoon, it's sparkling wine. Champagne is a place in France, Cheddar is a place in England. Anime is a thing Japanese. We could copy it, have it look just like, but technically it would not be anime.

Technically that would be false. Herse the proof as I mentioned in my post:

anime#5741

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Technically that would be false. Herse the proof as I mentioned in my post:

anime#5741

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, dude.

"Not anime but related"

IchigoK90 wrote:
"Believe it!"

Not quite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Whoops my error, I don't really scroll down to the bottom of the pages for shows, movie and etc. My mistake.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that having Gonzo do the animation, that would be the qualifier. Guess that makes it like wine made a la methode champagnoise in Champagne, France, but bottled by a California winery. Sad Sparkling whine!

Hasbro :p hhhhbbbbbtttttt! Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
What about the original American Street Fighter? Didn't the same people who made G.I. Joe make SF? Out of the SFs I've seen, that one stuck satisfactionally close to the game.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ya the american Street Fighter was not that bad actually I used to enjoy the cartoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1