• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Madhouse's Princess & the Pilot Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
A sub-only disc? If they've got money for Blu-ray, they've got the money to dub it. If we're getting a BD release, we better see some production value.

That's not how licensing, production, and releasing work. That may be Sentai's procedure, but no one else's. Though, I do agree this one wouldn't hurt having a dub. It's mostly the two characters alone throughout entire film, so the rest of the casting would be inconsequential. Does having fewer actors matter any in cost?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes, few actors would decrease the cost of a dub. You save money on salaries and it also likely means less over all time needed to record, which also saves money.

I suspect that NISA doesn't want to cause confusion with their brand. They have made a point of saying they are a sub-only company and dubbing this movie would likely raise expectations with respect to their TV titles which I'm sure they don't want. It's the same reason Funi doesn't release sub-only titles. They want their brand - i.e. we dub everything - to be crystal clear.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Cant even dub a movie this is why NIS sucks
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
can't even dub a movie this is why NIS sucks

yeah, licensing titles that no one else will pick up and making them available for purchase totally sucks
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I suspect that NISA doesn't want to cause confusion with their brand. They have made a point of saying they are a sub-only company and dubbing this movie would likely raise expectations with respect to their TV titles which I'm sure they don't want. It's the same reason Funi doesn't release sub-only titles. They want their brand - i.e. we dub everything - to be crystal clear.

That's a shame, the Japanese dub wasn't anything special and it's one that wouldn't have suffered any from a conversion to English. Get two really good leads the half the work is done. Oh well, it's not like this one had the slightest chance of being screened anywhere except cons.

getchman wrote:
yeah, licensing titles that no one else will pick up and making them available for purchase totally sucks

It seems like a movie that FUNi or Sentai would have licensed. They both seem to have no issue grabbing similar anime. There's nothing that screams any one particular company over another here, but we'll never know why one company licenses something over another. And with Sentai grab-everything policy, it seems odd to let anything remotely interesting go.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this film, my current Avatar is taken from the finale. I do like sweet silver-haired girls with a bit of backbone to them, and Fana is definitely that. Plus the aerial battles were kind of cool.

----------

@getchman:

Anime fans have to be the most insane hard people to please. It's not enough that a title gets licensed, it has to have a dub. And then, it has to have the right dub made by the right people. And then some fans get annoyed when there's a dub and would rather have a cheaper sub-only release (or they think that dubs are stupid and can never match the original Japanese).

Anyway, I'm still surprised that there are people who don't understand that NISA doesn't do dubs, and who still get upset. NISA equals subbed releases, you'd think people would just accept that and move on. Of course, with the never-ending gripes about Aniplex, perhaps Anime fans just can't accept things.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
im fully aware of this.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Still kinda peeved that NIS is sticking to subtitled-only releases, but I suppose that it's better than nothing. At the very least, I'd like the choice to watch something in my native tongue.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I watched this last April and it went into one of my favorite movies. Sure it has predictable and meh ending, but it's a romantic story about two people who end up together for the wrong reasons but try to make the best of it. A simple story perhaps, but the execution was good enough to make something simple entertaining. Oh well, the only thing I can complain is the open ending.

@dtm42

I thought it was light blue.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
No dub? A real shame in this case as a wooden performance by the female lead in the Japanese takes an average film down to being bad.
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
No dub? A real shame in this case as a wooden performance by the female lead in the Japanese takes an average film down to being bad.

Ouch, that's a shame to hear.

Anime News Network wrote:
Seika Taketomi as Juana del Moral

Never heard of her.
This is the only anime she's ever been in?

Japanese Wikipedia wrote:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/竹富聖花
竹富 聖花(たけとみ せいか、1995年3月24日 - )は、日本のファッションモデル、グラビアアイドルである。

TAKETOMI Seika, born March 24, 1995, is a Japanese fashion model and gravure idol.

Oh dear.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fana's seiyuu wasn't that bad. She wasn't brilliant, no, but she put in a serviceable performance.

----------

@Takamachi Ryoko

You're getting confused because the promo art shows her with blue hair.

However in the movie her hair is silver with a slight tinge of pale blue.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

However in the movie her hair is silver with a slight tinge of light blue.

Wait a minute, is that Aina?
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

A sub-only disc? If they've got money for Blu-ray, they've got the money to dub it. If we're getting a BD release, we better see some production value.

Yeah, because an elaborate artbox with an awesome bonus artbook just don't count for shit these days right? Rolling Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wait a minute, is that Aina?

Her name is Fana, or Juana if you go by the ANN Encyclopedia.

So um, who's Aina?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5