• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[as] PD Kim Manning answers some questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswim/board/message?board.id=6&message.id=2844500#M2844500

Here's the basic breakdown:

-AS tried to get Elfen Lied, but standards had so many problems with it that they passed on it.

-AS also tried to get Gantz. See above.

-AS wanted Samurai 7, but were simply outbid on it by IFC.

-Great storytelling is the biggest importance when it comes to acquiring programs. If fanservice is more important than the storyline, it won't air.

-Generally dramatic shows won't make it either. This is why Gankutsuou was passed on. "because, although it's beautiful and fascinating, it's a slower moving, dramatic piece."

-It is important that many Williams Street people are on board when acquiring new shows. The same rule applies to comedy.

-AS can't run uncensored content because they share a network with kids' shows, and despite the warnings and disclaimers, many kids are still tuning in. The less kids that tune in, the more AS can get away with.

-An Adult Swim Network is "highly unlikely."

-The anime portion of AS won't be expanding anytime soon.

-Standards had a problem with the nudity in Eureka Seven's opening, but since it needed to be cut down for time anyway, they had Bang Zoom! edit down the openings/endings with content considered.

-AS's standards person for acquired programming is a fan of anime, and has always tried to push harder for content. There have been no footage edits in Eureka Seven so far, but they're currently discussing the book cover.

-23 minutes is the maximum showtime for any series airing within a half-an-hour block.

-AS promos cannot air on Cartoon Network kids' programs. Marketing considers it as promoting older content to kids.

-Other new anime series will air this year besides E7 and Bleach.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
-The anime portion of AS won't be expanding anytime soon.

-Other new anime series will air this year besides E7 and Bleach.
Well that is not reassuring the anime won't expand, I just hope they don't waste there money on more stupid shows. I only watch for the anime, family guy, futurama, american dad. And the venture bros. is pretty damn funny too(Broc Samson!!!!). For like a year know I sense that many in the company had a disdain for anime(I am probably just imagining things). Except for the person mentioned above.

I wonder What the new so is. Lets see, it can't be anything slow, or dramatic or anything that would have to be cut so much it ruins the show.

Also it sucks Samurai 7 was out bid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
it may have just been a rumor, but weren't they bidding for that Blood+ show?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised that they're trying to get Elfen Lied and Gantz on the air though it was pretty much a given that would have no chance. Rolling Eyes

I wonder if Fate/stay night would fit in AS. It has dynamic action scenes, a engaging plot similar found in some shounen acton series, and a decent amount of fanservice.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wonder how much editing and chopping the shows would go through if it did happen.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
I wish there had been mention of whether or not they were trying to get the rights to air the Fullmetal Alchemist movie and when they thought they might be able to air it if they got it.

I'm guessing it won't be until spring 2007 at the earliest, though! Funimation probably wants to get as many people as possible to buy it before they see it.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I wish there had been mention of whether or not they were trying to get the rights to air the Fullmetal Alchemist movie and when they thought they might be able to air it if they got it.

I'm guessing it won't be until spring 2007 at the earliest, though! Funimation probably wants to get as many people as possible to buy it before they see it.

More then likely Funimation will do their own theater release, like Trinity blood, Speed Grapher, Basilik. Also the DVD(movie) is suppose to be release the same day as the last volume, sometime in November I think. Personally I don't watch a lot of anime on AS, I will watch trigun if it on, but that about it. I mean I watch GITS on DVD (5.1) and FMA (DVD) I don't have anything that I watch on AS beside Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and the now dead (sorta) Perfect hair forever. I mean I wished that show got brought back it a great mock on anime, and it really is a nice break.
Samurai 7 is a tough break, I probably would have been interested in that show had I seen a couple episodes on AS. Tough luck huh?
Worst part of that report, Gankutsuou, that definetly means there will be no Monster ever......... Crying or Very sad oh well. I shout this if I was able to but good post Emory two thumbs up.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
patch

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks alot the heads up emory, will check out details at link you posted Smile
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
-Great storytelling is the biggest importance when it comes to acquiring programs. If fanservice is more important than the storyline, it won't air.

Proving once again, you can get away with making toilet jokes with action figures, semi-gorey violence with muscle bound freaks, a possibly transexual character, and racial carictures, yet animated boobs are a no-no.

I mean, I don't expect AS to air Ikki Tousen or Najica Blitz Tactics, but for god sakes, is it too much to ask for some fanservice??
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I mean, I don't expect AS to air Ikki Tousen or Najica Blitz Tactics, but for god sakes, is it too much to ask for some fanservice??

They didn't say they refuse to air a show if it has fanservice. Do you really think they'd have ever aired FLCL or Evangelion is that was the case? They merely said that shows in which the overriding point is to showcase T&A or otherwise sleazy situations—your aforementioned Ikkitousen & Najica, for example, and shows like Love Hina—wouldn't be considered.

And given how those kind of shows usually suck or are only enjoyable if taken in a very tongue-in-cheek fashion, I'd say it's a darn good call on their part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I viewed the Eureka 7 opening (the first one) somewhere and I don't recall any nudity in the opening. Wrong opening?
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Ovalshine wrote:
I viewed the Eureka 7 opening (the first one) somewhere and I don't recall any nudity in the opening. Wrong opening?

I sure as heck didn't expect it, but when I popped in my DVD, there was definetly nudity in the opening! For a brief moment, it shows a picture of a book with a nude female on it.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

They wouldn't air Ikki Tousen because it's definetly on my reviewing scale overall a D- !
Absolute garbage, that one.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of nudity, wasn't there a slight bit of nudity on Inuyasha on AS? I think the episode where they first met Kikyo showed her nude from the back, and half nude from the front, with her hair covering up her boobs.

If that was the case, then the nudity in Eureka 7 shouldn't be a big problem for AS.
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hold the phone!! [looking at the opening again and finally noticing it] It shows for only .3 seconds and that's why they cut out 45 seconds of the opening? They couldn't get that covered up in editing like they did with Paranoia Agent? Or is there distributors that are more uncooperative than others?

Despite what this sounds like, this is a rather small gripe (but hey, when engaging in casual conversation, why not say something?).
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if Fate/stay night would fit in AS. It has dynamic action scenes, a engaging plot similar found in some shounen acton series, and a decent amount of fanservice.

Even if it did qualify, it is still airing in Japan right now and I don't think Geneon can get it ready for the fall season and even the winter season could be pushing the production time.

Anyways, it's good to hear that Adult Swim puts some thoughts into their acqusitions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2