• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Magazine Adds Full-Color Dragon Ball Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I was actually considering becoming a Shonen Jump Alpha subscriber, but I'm not so sure as I have most of the 'Viz Big' releases of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z as it is. I know that the series has served to be Viz's cash cow for some time now, so I certainly appreciate that, but I'm not sure that I would be able to justify signing up for this new digital service to read something that I already have access to in print form.

Well, there is all that other stuff in Shonen Jump too.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Maybe they should put in new series that aren't 20+ years old.

What do you call Barrage, Takama-Ga-Hara, and Cross Manage?

Honestly sometimes putting in new series isn't a great business strategy, considering that Barrage and Takama-Ga-Hara were cancelled after about 18 chapters each due to poor reception in Japan and Cross Manage is on the fast track to cancellation with extremely poor performance in Japanese reader polls.

The current lineup for the English Weekly Shonen Jump is: Bleach, Blue Exorcist, Cross Manage, Dragon Ball Full Color, Naruto, Nisekoi: False Love, One Piece, One-Punch Man, Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration, Toriko, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. With more to be announced soon.

Those are all series currently ongoing in Japan. Even Dragon Ball Full Color is technically ongoing, as I explain below.

baadaku12345 wrote:
This is... kind of new. Most of these color-ized pages have never been seen before (at least outside of Japan).
Also, will Viz do a volume release for this? That I would like to see.

None of these pages have ever been seen before. Dragon Ball Full Color: Saiyan Arc I goes on sale in Japan next week. It's a completely new reprint of the series.

Mr Adventure wrote:
I'm not super stoked that we're getting another run of Dragon Ball Z, as my interest in DBZ has waned quite a bit. Now if it was Dragon Ball...

Shueisha announced that they plan to reprint the entirety of Dragon Ball Z in full color and, if it proves popular, will simultaneously publish full color editions of the original Dragon Ball digitally.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Naturally, I realize that the color pages are something new and that there is a lot of other content in the digitally released magazine. I'm seriously considering signing up, especially since the price is indeed so low. I was merely reflecting on the fact that I was hoping for chapters of a series that I didn't have the opportunity to read anything from just yet. That's all I meant really.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I want this.

I want it badly.

I will pay every last red cent (Converted from GBP) to get it.

But no, says the Viz, It belongs to 'MERICA!

And thus, I am at the mercy of pirates.

And yet, I am the criminal.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The trouble, I assume, is that Europe has different license holders for a lot of this material.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
The trouble, I assume, is that Europe has different license holders for a lot of this material.
That's not what the books sitting in Waterstones and Forbidden Planet tell me. Ether they premit digital manga and allow the physical books to sit in stores or they recall it. They don't get to play this half arsed.
batou65

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also its a dollar.

How exactly do I go about buying it? I don't see anything on WSJ's page that says "purchase" or "subscribe".
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
batou65 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also its a dollar.

How exactly do I go about buying it? I don't see anything on WSJ's page that says "purchase" or "subscribe".

What country are you in? Also it should be available to buy on this page

http://www.vizmanga.com/weekly-shonen-jump/signup
batou65

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
batou65 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also its a dollar.

What country are you in? Also it should be available to buy on this page

http://www.vizmanga.com/weekly-shonen-jump/signup

Thank you! I had been looking on shonenjump.com before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2