• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please Tell me they are Joking [Saved by the Bell on CN]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I got this off of adultswim.com news section, it gives me shivers down my spin

Quote:
Adult Swim has done it again! Following hot on the heels of Fox's Family Guy, Saved By The Bell has been pulled from cancellation with an order for 30 all new episodes taking place at Bayside High.

"We were ecstatic when we saw the early numbers on Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim," said Matt Laster, the VP of Turner Entertainment's newly created 80's Reclamation Department. "We knew this had the potential to be big, but we never thought it would be this big. The fans have really shown their support and come out in droves on the adultswim.com website."

According to Laster, the new series is still in development but he did say that almost all of the original cast would be returning, minus "Showgirls" star Elizabeth Berkley. The series will follow the events after Saved By the Bell: The New Class and find Screech as the new principal of Bayside and a retired Mr. Belding as the proprietor of the Max, the hangout that the Saved By the Bell gang frequented. Screech is overwhelmed by the new group of students and puts out a call for help, and soon, all of the old regulars are back at Bayside. Laster would not elaborate on the status of Zack and Kelly's relationship, though the couple were last seen walking down the aisle.

"I've spoken to the crew and they really can't wait to get back together," said Laster. "We think this will be a fun and exciting new direction for Adult Swim and we can't wait to find even more great 80's comedies for Adult Swim."

Someone please tell me they are not doing this. Evil or Very Mad

One less spot for anime, I thought know one would watch and it would be over by the end of the month Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
yeah people have been talking about this over at Toonzone. it's gotta be a joke, i don't buy it.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
all new SBTC wow....
I dont think it'll take the places of the anime shows, it'll more likely take the place of shows like sealab, on friday nights. I would really be interested in seeing all new episodes of SBTC, it's unfortunate that we dont get AS in Canada.
Dragon King

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I dont buy it ether people hear all kinds of rumors about stuff like this and they usually arent true
Alex K.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim has officially gone to hell. Unless they put some adult humor into these new episodes, I see no good reason for Saved by the Bell to be airing on Adult Swim.

Wait, even with adult content, Adult Swim is still part of an animation network. What the hell are those execs thinking? They may as well just change the name of Cartoon Network to Nick 3. Rolling Eyes

Dragon King wrote:
I don't buy it ether people hear all kinds of rumors about stuff like this and they usually arent true

Unfortunately, it's not a rumor. If it was, it wouldn't be in Adult Swim's news section. And if it IS a rumor and they put it on the site for some reason, then this is a sick joke and I have no respect for anyone at Adult Swim.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
And if it IS a rumor and they put it on the site for some reason, then this is a sick joke and I have no respect for anyone at Adult Swim.

Listen I just hope it is a joke, if it is I admit it got me. Just think if it is not, then they really have gone to hell. So I for one pray for the punchline.

Also if anyone does not want to have this live action crap on turn the channel when SBTB comes on. If this is not a joke, notice how they talk about "numbers", and "Ratings". So don't watch it, and lets abort SBTB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope Zack and Kelly are still together.

I'm sure it's a joke. The whole thing has been one big joke that's mainly funny to the AS guys. I'm sure they're doubling over with laughter at how much they've aggravated anime fans.
Besides Saved By the Bell rocks!
And if they actually are getting good ratings, then I guess that's enough reason for them. It's funny and they're making money
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that this is a joke. They've made funny actions before. If you remember the April Fool's Day stuff, then you know what I'm talking about. They replaced two episodes of Inuyasha with Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos and put fart sounds into Fullmetal Alchemist.

If this is true, then whoever decided to do this should be shot. I know the right hit-man for the job, too.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Folks, it took me all of 5 seconds to find evidence it was a joke on the AS website. Check out this other news article from their site.

Quote:
Fans Embrace Saved By the Bell
04/13/2006

AdultSwim.com fans have been quick to share their feelings over the two-week trial run of Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim. Message Board users have come together in an uncharacteristic display of good tidings and cheer to send out helpful messages and memos to the Williams Street staff.

"...this has to be a joke..if it isnt.... someone at Williams Street Must DIE!" - lazerhaze

"This SBTB **bleep** had better be a joke! Or there'll be a jihad for the next two weeks!" - Real AirCooledMan

"How can you taint the best few hours of my life with such crap! By crap I mean Saved by the bell, weak move adultswim." - Kanluga

"If it's a joke it's nowhere near funny." - Zahaaticus

"Yes!!!! We're one step closer to getting Murder She Wrote on [as]. Excellent move." - Hong Kong Phooey

"...what is with putting Saved by the Bell on the network? c'mon, did you guys get taken over by a bunch of 40 year old child molestors?" - Aqua Link

"So this is what TBS gives back to AS for AS giving them Family Guy, Oblongs, Mission Hill and Futurama." - thephantom22

"...if I wanted to watch washed up shows that were cancelled years ago, I'd just turn on G4." - SpamMePlease

To join in the love fest, head to the message boards now.

Note the disconnect between what the article says and the quotes.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes it does seem that way. But what I put up, was put up one day after this. And it might just mean that they have been getting flamed, so there just rubbing are nose in it. Giving a big F You. It wouldn't surprize me, if they have or think they have good numbers. From what I can tell people either totally hate it, are really for it. Maybe they think the later is greater.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope that this is truly a joke.

To tell you the truth, I've been a little disappointed with adult swim lately. I just go on YouTube to watch animes now rather than watch adult swims. At least then they aren't edited half to death.

However, I do like Adult Swim purchase of Eureka Seven and Bleach, two of my more favorite animes.

Well, I guess we all have to admit that Adult Swim in the past and presently...do dumb things. Saved by the Bell, that's just one of them.

Cartoon Network means cartoons. Since when is Saved by the Bell a cartoon?
opaquescum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Actually it is just one large goof on the fans, but it seems to be a goof with a purpose. They are provokeing viewers into going to their site and giveing feedback. The more outrage they see the better adult swim is doing.

The truth is hardcore fans are loyal fans, and if you go moan on their site that means you are hardcore about what you watch.

In the end they have probabally done the fans a service. They can show the hits on the site to advertisers. Advertisers may pay more for adult swim placement. Anime licensors will be more prone to want their wares shown on adult swim.

I think everyone needs to chill, and quite frankly be very happy atleast the guys doing adult swim are proactive, and are actively engageing the viewers. So what if they pull petty little stunts. It means they care enough.
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
would not really be that shocking, however sad it is...rememer when they played batman dumb and dumber and other non animated movies on toonami?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I hope Zack and Kelly are still together.

I'm sure it's a joke. The whole thing has been one big joke that's mainly funny to the AS guys. I'm sure they're doubling over with laughter at how much they've aggravated anime fans.

I think they both aggrivated Anime AND Cartoon Comedy fans alike.

SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this is a joke. They've made funny actions before. If you remember the April Fool's Day stuff, then you know what I'm talking about. They replaced two episodes of Inuyasha with Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos and put fart sounds into Fullmetal Alchemist.

Well, it's April 30th, and it's 29 days too late for an April Fools Joke.
GospelX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, what this says to me is that anime fans are really whiney. Adult Swim isn't just about showing anime. Heck, it doesn't even have to be about showing animation if they don't want it to. Adult Swim is about showing content that adults (the 20+ crowd, really) can appreciate, not showing kids content they can consider mature due to language and possible blood. Seriously, just let it go. If it's a joke, you'll find out in a little bit. If it happens, which may take up to a year if it were to ever come into fruition, then don't watch it. All the whining does is possibly spike interest in it. It increases awareness. If not for this message board, I wouldn't have known about any of the Saved by the Bell stuff on the network. In other words, thanks for advertising for Adult Swim.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3