• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Semi-OT] Pokemon on the GBA , what were your top 6 pokemon?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
[Give reasons for your choices. Do not "list." Also, I've told you I-don't-know-how-many-times to improve your grammar. "U" is not a word, among other things. -Nagi]

[EDIT: Added the "semi-off topic" label. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
[You, too. No "listing." -Nagi]
wanirose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is obviously OT, and I bet there's a 75% chance this is gonna get locked, but.....

You never know...

But anyways, here were my pokeman that I can remember-

Venusaur (but I really wanted Charzard but I could never get past both Brook and Misty with the fire pokeman and that always made me really mad!!!)

Chansey (I just have to say that Chansey was so cute even though she wasn't all that powerful so I added her to my team)

Gyarados (only had him to give me surf because there wasn't that many good sea pokeman except that I really liked the seahorse one because I think seahorse are neat)

Geodude (the evolved form because I can't remember the name and then I could never find anyone to trade with me to get the highest evolved pokeman of geodude)

Pidegotto (just so I could have fly and not have to ride the bike everywhere... which got kind of old and annoying)

I forget who my last pokeman was, because I played it a long time ago. But all my pokeman were at level 100 because I got a rare candy, copied it the "special way" and then just boosted them up (I know it is the cheap way but I really just wanted to end the game and then start again because I wanted different pokeman (although I never started it up again))
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
wanirose wrote:
Geodude (the evolved form because I can't remember the name and then I could never find anyone to trade with me to get the highest evolved pokeman of geodude)

That would be Graveler. Fortunately I had my brother so I just traded with him to evolve our pokiemon.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
wanirose wrote:
I forget who my last pokeman was, because I played it a long time ago. But all my pokeman were at level 100 because I got a rare candy, copied it the "special way" and then just boosted them up (I know it is the cheap way but I really just wanted to end the game and then start again because I wanted different pokeman (although I never started it up again))

ahh no way that’s totally cheating haha Very Happy

No I did that a couple of times and it totally messed up my game like the game itself. Didn’t this ever happen to you?

Space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Asuka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
*cringe*

I've played Pokemon competitively for a number of years.

My normal GSC team consists of Primeape, Clefable, Misdreavus, Blissey, Electabuzz and Lapras.

My RSE team consists of Groudon, Shiftry, Snorlax, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, and Shedinja. This is a team built for 2v2 battles, as that is the format for the national tournament Nintendo is holding across the USA.

Edited response to wanirose: Chansey/Blissey has always been one of the STRONGEST pokemon, regardless of which version. It is one of the best special tanks in RSE, and 'the' best special tank in RBY and GSC.
wanirose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:

Quote:
ahh no way that’s totally cheating haha

No I did that a couple of times and it totally messed up my game like the game itself. Didn’t this ever happen to you?

I know it is cheating but... to late. But yeah it did mess up my game once, all the numbers went all weird and then another time it just went blank (although that could have been because of low battery). But yeah, I think most people have used that at least once or twice. And then I had just defeated the end of the game (for the first time and barely made it and it was going on and on and sadly I dropped it and the game fell out so I had to try and try again Anime cry )

Fighterholic wrote:

Quote:
That would be Graveler. Fortunately I had my brother so I just traded with him to evolve our pokiemon.

Lucky, my one friend who was into pokeman with me moved and then I could never find anyone else. Also, did you trade him with Haunter too?

Asuka wrote:

Quote:
Edited response to wanirose: Chansey/Blissey has always been one of the STRONGEST pokemon, regardless of which version. It is one of the best special tanks in RSE, and 'the' best special tank in RBY and GSC.

Even on the blue version Chansey was strong? I was only able to catch her once and I don't remember to many of the moves. Sorry, about that! Embarassed
Asuka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Chansey has the lowest attack stat in the game, in any version. However, her special stat in RBY was one of the highest, and combined with her massive HP and softboiled she was a force to be reckoned with. In GSC and RSE the special stat was split into two(Special attack and special defense), her special defense has been the strongest in GSC/RSE, and her special attack stat, while not incredibly high, works for most situations. Most people used something along the lines of Ice Beam/Thunderbolt in RBY, and some combination of Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Seismic Toss/Thunderwave in the later two generations.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
wanirose wrote:
Lucky, my one friend who was into pokeman with me moved and then I could never find anyone else. Also, did you trade him with Haunter too?

There were four pokemon that you had to trade with somebody to evolve them, they were
Haunter=Gengar
Machoke=Machamp
Graveler=Golem
Kadabra=Alakazam
We traded every single one.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Since I stopped playing over a year ago, I honestly forgot exactly what my team was composed of and I can't find my gameboy games at the moment. I played somewhat competitively but at the same time tried to use my favorites. I think my Gold/Silver team included Electrode, Porygon2, Tyranitar, Flareon, Lapras, and Machamp and my Ruby/Sapphire team was composed of Dusclops, Crobat, Blaziken, Gorebyss, Latios, and Regice. Can't remember it exactly though. Not the best teams ever but they were ok and won quite a few battles. I'm against using the elite legendary ones (ex. Mewtwo, Lugia) so that's why they're not in my teams. I was still in the middle of trying to build a team and I don't think I ever finished it though.

And ya, Chansey/Blissey is one of the strongest Pokemon. IMO, they made it too strong actually.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
And ya, Chansey/Blissey is one of the strongest Pokemon. IMO, they made it too strong actually.

Looking at the TCG cards yes they were made a little too strong. Chansey having 120 hp and Blissey 130 hp, and they're normal type pokemon. But how have they fared on the show?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Looking at the TCG cards yes they were made a little too strong. Chansey having 120 hp and Blissey 130 hp, and they're normal type pokemon. But how have they fared on the show?

Wailord Ex. has 200 Hp in the card game. It had the highest Hp out of any Pokemon in the Trading card game I think. There may be one with more now but I haven't played in a while. The Base Set Chansey with Double-edge was rather cheap IMO, but I don't think they made it too strong. I was mainly talking about the video game when I said I thought they made it too strong. I don't remember how strong it was in the show since I only remember it being at Pokemon Centers. Don't trust the anime to decide how strong Pokemon are though, they get things wrong about Pokemon all the time (I remember a preview for the third movie claiming that Unown were stronger then Mewtwo, that goes to show you how much they know about the games).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Wailord Ex. has 200 Hp in the card game. It had the highest Hp out of any Pokemon in the Trading card game I think. There may be one with more now but I haven't played in a while. The Base Set Chansey with Double edge was rather cheap IMO but I don't think they made it too strong.

See right there that'll tell you how up to date I am with the TCG. Hell, haven't even touched the game for a good 5 years.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
same here, but nobody really cares now because the new pokemon sets ever since the 2 extra elements came out have just been retarded. chancey was amazing in the TCG back in the days because you were able to put it out first turn. then you put a couple energy on it, take a good 100 dmg, then return it after you have everything set up. however, it gets destroyed pretty good by fighting decks, since a turn 1 hitmonchan would kill your chancey pretty fast.

As for the game, for some reason, my rom version of ruby/sapphire had some problems and i got stuck in a place where i'm not supposed to. crystal was by far my most favorite pokemon game because of the battle tower. have you guys ever tried to fight lvl 80+ in battle tower using the 3 legendary dogs, and end up getting owned? the battle tower opponents were so powerful, but also so much fun too.
wanirose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Asuka wrote:

Quote:
Most people used something along the lines of Ice Beam/Thunderbolt in RBY, and some combination of Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Seismic Toss/Thunderwave in the later two generations.

I have to say I rarely used TMs within the games. I was always afraid that I would use it on a pokeman and then find new pokeman and need it later, so I barely used and just hung on to them (pack rat... i know). That is why I like HMs because you could use them as many times as you wanted to. Although, I gave one pokeman to many HMs (sorry garados) in the gold version and then he became not as effective in battle.

Stupidman007 wrote:

Quote:
crystal was by far my most favorite pokemon game because of the battle tower

I never got the crystal version, I stopped at the gold and silver versions. But with the crystal version, weren't there to many pokeman to chose from? I could barely make choices in the gold and silver versions with all the pokeman. How did you chose? On power or other reasons? (I have to say though I did pick one team based on looks... it didn't turn out that well).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2