• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you like any other cartoons beside Japanese cartoons?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dough Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I do understand that this is a site that pertains mainly to animated cartoons from Japan, but I'm rather curious.

I don't like anime anymore (an exception is Dragon Ball Z), and the only cartoons I mainly watch are those originating in the United States such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and others.
Fui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Dough Boy wrote:
I don't like anime anymore (an exception is Dragon Ball Z), and the only cartoons I mainly watch are those originating in the United States such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and others.

Frankly, if you don't like anime you're at the wrong place. I'm not particularly sure if DBZ is the most loved anime among people here, either. Razz *points to "10 favorite 5 least favorite thread*

Regarding the topic, I used to watch cartoons when I was maybe 5-10 or so, but then it kind of became too childish for the most part. I think one of the last ones I enjoyed was Batman Beyond. Don't get me wrong, anime is generally seen as "childish" in Japan, but at least there are more mature/serious shows (or love story or more fanservicey ones) that certainly aren't intended for children.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
To me, anime is just a different type of cartoons. So yea, I watch other cartoons too. I still love the old shows on nick, scooby doo, looney toons, etc.....
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hell yea I do. It's all about The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park Laughing !!! Hmmmm, what could I say to make this a longer post? Well, just for the record these shows are HILARIOUS!
Dough Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Dough Boy wrote:

Frankly, if you don't like anime you're at the wrong place.

Bah, I'm still going to stay around just for the heck of it.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Dough Boy wrote:
Fui wrote:
Dough Boy wrote:

Frankly, if you don't like anime you're at the wrong place.

Bah, I'm still going to stay around just for the heck of it.

May I ask what made you not like anime anymore? Did you just stop liking it one day or something, or was it like a particular title that you disliked?

As for me, I do watch alot of anime when I can, but I watch plenty of US movies, shows, and cartoons as well...

Right now, I'm into Justice League, old-school Simpsons, and Family Guy.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to say Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner. When I was a kid, I felt sorry for the Roadrunner because that mean ole Coyote was always picking on him. Now that I'm older, I feel sorry for poor Wiley.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of Batman: The Animated Series. It's still a terrific show after fourteen years and the best screen version of the Dark Knight ever.

Last edited by Alucalb on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
lockeout

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
The cartoon that made me realize animation could be more exciting than the real thing was "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm," and the excellent animated series. Little-known "Phantom 2040" also showed me the somewhat edgier side of animation.
What actually drew me into anime is knowing that shows have an actually story arc that will come to some sort of conclusion (Naruto notwithstanding).
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
I supose i do, but only if they're the GOOD kind of cartoon. stuff like Family Guy, the Simpsons, and the Boondocks, among others. these shows are the kind i watch purly for the sake of entertainment. the kind i don't like (and sometimes despise) are the uber childish ones that are on the air today for the most part. the newer cartoons on Nick and CN are really bad , even if you compare them to the "old-school", low-budget ones. they're just plain stupid to me. i would glady take a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon over some crap-tastic Ben 10 show anytime.
As im sure many will ask, and some already have, what made you stop watching anime?
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Bondocks is choice. And I still love the superhero shows- Justice League, the Batman cartoons, Teen Titans, Spiderman, etc. Also, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is surprisingly good. I love the self-aware nature of it, especially in the episode where they woke up dressed like The Powerpuff Girls.
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Dough Boy wrote:
I don't like anime anymore (an exception is Dragon Ball Z)

Now I have nothing against DBZ, but that's the only anime you like?

L . A . M . E .

Dough Boy wrote:
the only cartoons I mainly watch are those originating in the United States such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and others.

Uh oh, time to step out of the 80's. ;-P

Quote:
Do you like any other cartoons beside Japanese cartoons?

Yes: Anything from Spongebob Squarepants to Family Guy to Home Movies are watchable for me.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
I like watching Batman type cartoons because they're nostalgic. And TMNT's got some pretty rad characters in there, too.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
I still love the classics like The Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry. I also like The Simpsons for just being the Simpsons. Family Guy, Ren & Stimpy and Beavis & Butt-head for being cartoons that really pushed things and are definitely some of the best. The old Batman and the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; they give me that nostalgic feeling from watching them so long ago. Currently I like Ed Edd'n Eddy.
Bosque

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Yes, i like some non-japanese animation.
My favourite is Les Mondes Engloutis, an old french animated series also known as "Spartakus and The Sun Beneath The Sea" and "Espartaco y El Sol Bajo El Mar" (as that fantastic chilean dub said). I love that series, i can't remember very well (i have now only 1 episode on an oooold vhs tape), it's about Espartaco and friend's adventures in some very strange worlds and bla bla, the experience of following the series by 1990 or something was too exciting.
I like some chilean animation too, i don't know if any of you have seen ever any chilean cartoon. "Ogú y Mampato" was the first chilean animated film, it's based on Themo Lobo's comics which appeared on some magazines in 1960 or something, it's not a bad movie.
Another chilean cartoon that is good enough to watch it is called "Diego y Glot", it's just about a guy and his friends, it has so many references to chilean things that i think it can only be watched by chileans.

Bye bye, take care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6