• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
your thoughts... [on what to get].

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is pretty much a continuation of my recommendations thread that got locked for an unspecified reason. So, you people are probably starting to dislike me Sad, but I will due this anyway. Well, I have narrowed down my choices to crest of the stars/banners of the stars,hellsing,scrapped princess,chrono crusade, and Rahxephon. I just wanted to know what people's opinions are on these series.

Again, I am really sorry if I am annoying people and you can feel free to completely ignore.I wont mind.

[EDIT: Changed your topic so it wouldn't be so vague. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
to be honest, i dindt like CotS/BotS series... It just dindt appeal to me, however, many did enjo9y the series.. I enjoyed both Scrapped Princess and Chrno Crusade (the few series that I've seen)... but I've never seen Rax.... So my rec would be Scrapped or Chrno
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If you've seen Eva, chances are RahXephon will not entertain you that much. It's not a bad show, it just lives in Eva's shadow. A lot of melodrama and similar if not frame copied events. It has some originality to it...but a lot of it just echoes Eva so it's difficult (at least for me) to really enjoy it because it comes off as a clone to me. It does have a great opening though. Even so, if you would like to experience RahXephon (this might be blasphemy) go with the manga. The manga stands perfectly well on its own and has a great payoff.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I locked your last thread because it started out with just a huge list of anime that you've seen and the general question of "what should I watch next?"

Now that you've at least narrowed it down to a handful of titles to pick, I have absolutely no problem with it.

Of the titles you listed, I've seen the Crest/Banner series, Hellsing, and RahXephon, and would recommend Crest/Banner, as it is the most realistic in terms of drama and is also the most humanistic.

Sure, it's science fiction and has aliens, but compared to Hellsing (full of vampires and gore) and RahXephon (full of angst and somewhat convoluted romance), the Sekai series remains the most down to earth in its theme and presentation.

Like I said in the other thread, the setting is a bit similar to Star Trek, only it focuses more on the relationship and intricacies (which eventually develops into a subtle romance) of Jinto and Lafiel. I highly recommend it if you don't mind a lot of dialogue, although I'd have to say it has the worst English dub of the three if that makes a difference.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
RahXephon is okay, but TranceLimit has explained its drawbacks fairly well. I got the overall feeling of a series "trying" to be great instead of a series that "is" great, like Evangelion.

Hellsing has a good dub, and is a good choice if you like vampires, guns, and all that fun stuff. It starts out good with the degeneration of a character from a human to a vampire, but the plot falls apart midway through and degenerates into an ending that's routinely brought up in "bad ending" threads in forums. Just a fair warning.

I haven't seen much of CotS / BotS, but I do know that:
They're space/political intrigue anime
They have a bit of "Romeo and Juliet"-esque romance
English dub = avoid at all costs.
------------
Many of the ANN "bigshots" seem to like them, so I'll have to check them out for myself someday.

Chrono Crusade and Scrapped Princess are both series that I would heavily recommend. Chrono Crusade will be easier on the wallet, since it's available in a complete collection for ~$60, whereas Scrapped Princess discs will still be about $20 apiece. Both have epic stories, unusual settings (1920s America and a fantasy world), good/pretty animation (though CC is a bit better), and characters that really pull you in and have you rooting for them in the end. I'll confess that SP is my favorite anime series, and CC is also in my Top 20 Anime list--I don't want to spam up this thread, so you can read my long-winded shameless fanboy babbling at that link.
Crimson Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me their input. and Tony K., I understand now why you locked my thread and have no problem with it. I would of gave a specific list of possibilities if I had any, but I didn't. I was completely stumped on what I would want to see next.

Back on topic now, I narrowed the list down to 4 by eliminating Rahxephon leaving CotS/BotS,Chrono Crusade,Scrapped Princess, and Hellsing. After reading what you guys have to say and reading up about each anime in the encyclopedia, I have decide to get Scrapped Princess despite the higher cost($161 on rightstuf)for my birthday and get either Chrono Crusade($80 for complete collection on rightstuf) or CotS/BotS($90 for CotS,BotS1, and BotS2 on rightstuf) on my own. I have a good amount of money and would get both CotS/BotS and Chrono Crusade, but most of my cash is going towards getting and xbox 360, so dont have enough for everything. Anyway, thanks again. Feel free to continue giving input up to April 2nd(my birthday), I will continue taking it into consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Crimson Ninja wrote:
After reading what you guys have to say and reading up about each anime in the encyclopedia, I have decide to get Scrapped Princess despite the higher cost($161 on rightstuf)for my birthday and get either Chrono Crusade($80 for complete collection on rightstuf) or CotS/BotS($90 for CotS,BotS1, and BotS2 on rightstuf) on my own.

Glad to hear that my words had some impact...
Ouch, $161? Check deepdiscountdvd.com, I did a quick search and it seems like you can find all 6 volumes for about $108 with free shipping. Save your parents or whomever a few bucks Smile
Crimson Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Glad to hear that my words had some impact...
Ouch, $161? Check deepdiscountdvd.com, I did a quick search and it seems like you can find all 6 volumes for about $108 with free shipping. Save your parents or whomever a few bucks Smile

Well, I would do that but deepdiscount doesnt accept money orders and my parents dont have a credit card. So, I cant order from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1