• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime about musicband?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parantes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyone who knows a good anime about boys/girls that is forming a band? I prefer rockmusic so if there is any Anime where a couple of friends start a band, or something else related to that kind of anime i would be so happy. It doesnt need to be only about bands; as long as music is in the spotlight. Maybe about a boy travelling with a big band like in "Almost Famous" or something like that. But a serie about friends starting a band would be so cool to see. Please post a short description of the movie/serie if you have seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad is the only one I know of. Given your post, I take it you've either seen this already and want more, or, you've seen it and are just messing with us.

In any case, here are the comments I posted about it in My Anime:

Rarely do you see a title with music as the central theme. BECK does a superb job in telling a sort of "rags to riches" tale, but with an element of human drama in between.

Aside from the rocking music, the animation gets special mention being, yet another, top notch Madhouse production. But getting back to that human element, though I wouldn't say this exactly a shounen series, a lot of that drama can be interpreted that way. It's a genuinely uplifting kind of series that just has a certain magnetism to it. That is, if you can get past some of the Engrish. While the Japanese dialogue was pretty commendable in terms of conveying plot and emotions, the Engrish/English ranged from good to just plain silly. I appreciate the efforts the seiyuu put into trying to speak English, but they probably could've done better after a few more years of practice.

In any case, the English is important, but not the core, so I'm OK with the voice acting overall. If you like rock music, a good mix of comedy and drama, and some of that shounen-esque mentality of "never give up," check this one out for sure. -- Art: 9 -- Animation: 9 -- Music: 10 -- Plot/Characters: 10 -- Voice Acting: 9
parantes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
No, i haven't seen it but i really like the "every-day" kind of Anime with a big city, some friends, lifestorys and love. Im also a big fan of music and i hoped to find some shows that puts this together. So i will check this one! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Although it's not the central theme of the story, a large part of the story of the manga Nana (already made into an excellent live-action movie, and soon to be an anime) revolves around a band that is gradually moving from amateur to professional status, as well as another one that has already achieved professional status.

The story itself is shoujo romance, but the bands and their members appear in most of the storyline.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I just want to second Beck because I loved it so much. It made me want to play the guitar so badly, and it had great character development. Lots of feel-good scenes too to balance out the "hard times" scenes which made for a great story.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
There's another thread about The Legend of Black Heaven. It's about a 30 something insurance salesman who tries to reunite his old band.
parantes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
"Nana" is under "Want to see" so i hope i can get it later.
Thanks, keep posting if you find anything else. It doesnt have to be about A band but music needs to play a big part.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Aquarian Age , is about a band tring to gain popularity. It has action and some sad drama. It has some band elements, but its about a guy (Main Char) whos singing saves his love.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Another great and amazing rock band anime i saw was. i think Ouji the section cheif. It was about a loser guy who could do nothing but got picked up by Space People and helps them fight stuff of with the gift of MUSIC. ITs amazing. Especialy the opening song was rad. I saw it on AXN many many moons ago. But the bad thing is, that they used to air raws. So i didn't get aword in. In fact i only used to watch the opening. But i did sorta like the concept and animation.
So can some one who received AXN shed some light on it
Definitly people try getting a hold of this.
Its good.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
There's also Gravitation. One part of the story is about a guy who starts a band with his best friend and is trying to make it big. The other part is a romance. This is a popular boy's love anime, so if you're not into that thing, you might want to avoid it. Overall, I find it so-so. Just thought I'd toss it out there.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
And of course, Macross 7

About a band who also pilot giant robots and fight aliens with the power of music!
parantes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips! Will check them out! Keep posting =)!
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Another great and amazing rock band anime i saw was. i think Ouji the section cheif. It was about a loser guy who could do nothing but got picked up by Space People and helps them fight stuff of with the gift of MUSIC. ITs amazing. Especialy the opening song was rad. I saw it on AXN many many moons ago. But the bad thing is, that they used to air raws. So i didn't get aword in. In fact i only used to watch the opening. But i did sorta like the concept and animation.
So can some one who received AXN shed some light on it
Definitly people try getting a hold of this.
Its good.

It's called The Legend of Black Heaven.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Let me also jump on the BECK bandwagon Smile

Besides the great storyline/character development, the music in the series is amazing, and really drives everything. You can really see the progression of the characters and the band with the music throughout the series, it pulls you into the storyline even more and everything feels more genuine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1