• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unjust maligning of new TOTORO dub and Ghibli dubs N general

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that whenever an Anime is adapted into English, there will always be people who will find something to gripe about. When TOTORO was first released by FOX, its dubbing was praised, even by hardcore dub haters. And now Disney has produced their own dub, and fans of the old dub seem to be doing the same thing that I've seen some other folks do to another Disney-produced Miyazaki English track, CASTLE IN THE SKY (a dub which caused simiarly polarized reactions, but it remains one of my favorite dubs to this day)--condeming it as inferior. Which is a shame, really, because I found this new dub really well done. And this is coming from somebody who fell in love with TOTORO when I saw the FOX version. Personally, I think the FOX and Disney versions are excellent on their own levels. It's too bad that there are some folks who feel the need to "prove" how one version is better or worse than the other.

Personally, I find that the entertainment value of Anime resides in having more than one great version of a loved title, and TOTORO happens to be one such movie. That some folks feel that there is only one way to view this film (or any of the Ghibli movies for that matter) is saddening to me, because to me, watching these movies in either Japanese or English is just like getting two different yet equally enjoyable interpretations of a classic film. On the internet, though, it seems that I hear more from people who like to say that Japanese is the only way to watch Ghibli's movies and that they should be neglected (or hated) in English. But if Miyazaki and Ghibli personally approved the Disney-produced dubs, then what's wrong with watching them? Does that make anyone less of a Ghibli fan or Anime fan? I think not; regardless of whatever language they're watched in, English or Japanese, the Ghibli films are still enjoyable.

-Jon T.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
I agree. In general the Japanese versions are superior to the Disney ones, but the Disney dubs are certainly not BAD dubs. They're usually very close to the original, and they're certainly treated with great respect for the original. I haven't been disappointed with any of the dubs for Ghibli's works that I've been able to see--although I feel that the dub for Neko no Ongaishi/The Cat Returns could've been a better translation.

I particularly like the Spirited Away dub. The casting was excellent--and it was also refreshing that Disney chose actual voice actors for the main characters of the film, instead of highering more well-known celebs. The translation's pretty close, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the new Totoro dub, so I can't comment on that, but I've found the Disney dubs to be relatively good, in general. I normally don't care for dubs much (with a few exceptions),but I've been happy with most of the Disney dubs-- Nausicaa and Porco Rosso in particular. As for Totoro-- I already own the Fox dub and am very happy with their dub, so I don't feel much of a need to check out the Disney dub anytime soon.

As for the "it should be listened to only in Japanese" arguement, well... that's more of the sub/dub ancient arguement, a never-to-be-resolved situation. Wink
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. Are these "old dub fans" bashing the Disney dub without having watched it? I'm guessing a relatively few amount. If people watched both the old and new dub, and prefers the old dub, then who's to say that the Disney dub should be appreciated? If a newer dub has failed to please someone then it's a failure for that individual. And as much as some people feel the need to "prove" how one version is better, you're doing just the opposite.

TurnerJ wrote:
Personally, I find that the entertainment value of Anime resides in having more than one great version of a loved title, and TOTORO happens to be one such movie. That some folks feel that there is only one way to view this film (or any of the Ghibli movies for that matter) is saddening to me, because to me, watching these movies in either Japanese or English is just like getting two different yet equally enjoyable interpretations of a classic film.

I completely disagree. There is no equality in comparison when watching a Ghibli work, or any other anime for that matter, in Japanese or English. The Japanese are infinitely more natural with their voice acting in their anime; the purpose of a dub is not to match this level of quality but to present to a Japanese form of entertainment to a foreign audience in a way so that they can easily enjoy anime. You can't expect an American to know and appreciate a Japanese-specific cultural reference or a Japanese-specific expression and fully express it in English. No dub is ever going to match the original quality of the Japanese. Consequently, I believe any Ghibli movie must first be appreciated with its original language. To say that a dub is an equal to the original is like saying the 4Kid's One Piece "interpretation" is the same as the original One Piece.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
To say that a dub is an equal to the original is like saying the 4Kid's One Piece "interpretation" is the same as the original One Piece.

Ah, but to say that is to say that the Disney dubs are of comparable quality to a 4Kid's dub-- something I think most people would be hard pressed to believe. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but generally speaking, the Disney dubs have been well received.

Now, to say that watching the dub is the same as the original would be false. But you seemed to be implying a matter of quality-- quality is like taste, it just depends on the person's opinion. I think many of the Disney dubs are good-- I don't feel like I'm appreciably losing anything in watching them in English, even though they're not in the original language. However, you don't really have an equal experience watching it subbed either, as that experience doesn't really compare to a Japanese-speaking person's viewing experience either.

I mean, watched it subbed if you prefer, it's cool with me and all-- but to come off as being so ... sure of the the definitive truth of your statement seems sort of odd to me (perhaps I misread your post?). It's really a matter of opinion.
HanatoYume

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch dubs usually, I don't like them so I don't watch them. I did however see the Kiki's Delivery Service one, thye changed the character of Jiji the cat completly.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how people were/are being taught in terms of writing, but I learned that the main reason one doesn't put "I" in a formal essay is because it's in the writer's perspective to begin with. Similarly, anything I say is my own opinion regardless of some factual truth that tells me that my opinion is mistaken. That is why I didn't bother putting "I think" or "I believe" at the beginning of each and every sentence, which is quite tedious and annoying, and also why you probably thought I was so sure of a supposed "definitive truth". Simply put, read "In my opinion" at the beginning of each sentence.

^^;
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
To say that a dub is an equal to the original is like saying the 4Kid's One Piece "interpretation" is the same as the original One Piece.

Ah, but to say that is to say that the Disney dubs are of comparable quality to a 4Kid's dub-- something I think most people would be hard pressed to believe. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but generally speaking, the Disney dubs have been well received.

Now, to say that watching the dub is the same as the original would be false. But you seemed to be implying a matter of quality-- quality is like taste, it just depends on the person's opinion. I think many of the Disney dubs are good-- I don't feel like I'm appreciably losing anything in watching them in English, even though they're not in the original language. However, you don't really have an equal experience watching it subbed either, as that experience doesn't really compare to a Japanese-speaking person's viewing experience either.

Exactly. I can't remember exactly where i heard this, so I could be wrong--but I'm pretty sure I remember reading a quote from Miyazaki where he said he felt that watching a dub is a good way to watch his films because you're able to appricate the animation. He also stated that there wasn't any garuntee that the sub is an exact translation, either.

As for the Jiji comment--yes, he's definately different in the English version. I'm not sure if it's extreme, though--he's a little more sarcastic, and talks a bit more, but for the most part he's still saying what was said in the original. Maybe being a little more close to the original would've been better--but it certainly wasn't horrible, and that's actually one of the few examples I can think of for a major change in one of the Disney dubs. The only others I can think of is that Castle in the Sky didn't refference Treasure Planet or Gulliver's Travels directly in the dub, and the cat king's 'groovy' rendition in the dub of The Cat Returns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering in this debate has anyone ever said the following. The original japanese release of such and such really sucked bad, but thanks to the creative dub work of such and such. The english release has been very good. Think about it surely it has to have happened atleast a few times.

I think we have two real problems here that might be getting no attention. The first problem is that for some reason some people think the japanese voice acting was the gold standard. Everything else is a pale imitation. The other is a very kind of egotistical brush off. Hah I get the references, and can speak the lingo.

Anyway I think some people have an agenda. Like I said some time there just had to have been a dub that exceeded the original. One wear the english voice acting was better, and one where the dialogue was made more alive.

Anyway thats how it feals to me. Feals like a lot of down talking, and placeing things on pedestals. Just curious would any of the posters in this thread say that they saw an anime dub that was superior to the original?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
There are always going to be people who prefer the subtitled version to the dubbed version. I like both when they're done well so it's no problem for me.

But one thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts (I could have missed it) is that a reason why people may not like the Disney dubs is that "they" hate Disney.

When Anime Expo was held at the Disneyland Convention Center several years ago, you should have heard the b****ing and moaning about the location. Rolling Eyes
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
<<But one thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts (I could have missed it) is that a reason why people may not like the Disney dubs is that "they" hate Disney.>>

Yeah, I definitely think that's one of the more primary reasons why such people have argued about whether their dubs are worthy or not.

-Jon T.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
<<But one thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts (I could have missed it) is that a reason why people may not like the Disney dubs is that "they" hate Disney.>>

Yeah, I definitely think that's one of the more primary reasons why such people have argued about whether their dubs are worthy or not.

-Jon T.

Yeah, I've noticed that...it kinda annoys me. Yeah, Disney doesn't do everything right, but they've made some quality animated films, and Disney had a key role in helping the animation indrustry along. You could very easily say that without Disney, anime may have never existed (although it would probably exist in some form--but maybe not in the way we know it now).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
But one thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts (I could have missed it) is that a reason why people may not like the Disney dubs is that "they" hate Disney.

I thought of another reason why "they" hate Disney: Michael Eisener. I think that he's the one who turned Disney into the 100 ton gorilla that it is. Walt Disney did a good job, don't get me wrong, but Eisener REALLY got idea people going and truly made it into what it is today.
Traxan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

As for the Jiji comment--yes, he's definately different in the English version. I'm not sure if it's extreme, though--he's a little more sarcastic, and talks a bit more, but for the most part he's still saying what was said in the original. Maybe being a little more close to the original would've been better--but it certainly wasn't horrible, and that's actually one of the few examples I can think of for a major change in one of the Disney dubs.

Well they changed the whole tone of KDS. You can see that just by watching the trailer, where Kiki is writing her parents and expressing all kinds of angst. Disney really sanitized that one.

Still, I think people are getting all wound up over nothing. After that HIDEOUS transfer on the Fox release of Totoro you should be glad for a decent transfer, even if it does have an annoying flicker. Tim Daly is good as the father and the Fannings weren't awful.

Look, if Geneon did the dub, the girls would have been dubbed by Michelle Ruff and Reba West and we'd have 'Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy' Redux. So it coulda been worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1