• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Bipolar" Anime Series

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I've always been attracted to "bipolar" anime series -- that is, series that fluctuate from one extreme to another. Some of my favorites of that nature include:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (I've never really found it to ever be all that "lighthearted," but it's definitely nowhere near as dark near the beginning)

-Mahoromatic (Fluctuates between lighthearted ecchi comedy and depressing tragedy)

-Elfen Lied (Fluctuates between lighthearted ecchi comedy and incredibly dark, graphic horror; probably the most extreme example of bipolarity)

Does anyone else have any recommendations based on that sort of pattern?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Figure 17. It fluctuates between hard sci-fi and soft shoujo-style character drama.

The character drama is frankly some of the best stuff I have ever seen in anime. At the beginning of the series, Tsubasa is a terminally shy and introverted little girl. It's amazingly genuine and touching to see Tsubasa slowly coming out of her shell as she interacts with Hikaru and her other classmates.

And I think the sci-fi aspects were really well done too. I'm a big fan of hard sci-fi, meaning science fiction that tries to stick as closely as possible to real (or at least plausible) science. The technology used in there felt like *real* technology, not just some convenient plot devices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Probably Alien Nine? The first half is pretty mellow and light-hearted which was what I expected based on the dvd coverart but then the last half just took me completely by suprise by how dark and depressing it turned out to be and I was literally left breathless at several points. Personally, I think this anime is pretty similar to Elfen Lied in this way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Mai HiME immediately comes to mind. The first half is pretty upbeat and the latter half is an angst fest.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Jubei-chan 2 owns it.

I've never seen a show jump from nutball comedy to heart-rending drama so fast, sometimes within minutes.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
For some reason I've always been attracted to "bipolar" anime series -- that is, series that fluctuate from one extreme to another.

For a minute there, I thought you wanted anime with Bipolar characters.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Jubei-chan 2 owns it.

I've never seen a show jump from nutball comedy to heart-rending drama so fast, sometimes within minutes.

Sorry, but Kodocha owns J2 on that score. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
The first series that comes to mind would be Nadia spoiler[I love the scene early on that involves Sanson and Marie's "lucky" chase and is followed up by Nemo blowing a hole into an enemy.] The early City Hunter also had some really dark moments, although the series started to get very silly fairly soon afterwards. Im surprised nobody has mentioned Fullmetal Alchemist yet. This show has so many points where you are laughing one moment and crying the next. I will say that FMA does it better than any other except for maybe Planetes which does it on a more subtle level. Sometimes FMA bangs you in the head with it's silly moments.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
The first seasons of Rurouni Kenshin and Fullmetal Alchemist were probably the most bipolar series in existence. RK did it more often, but FMA was far more dramatic with it.

Kaoru: How dare you insult my cooking!?
*throws things at Sanosuke, who uses Kenshin as a shield*
Fujiwara: Hey Himura! I need your help with a string of murders carried about by this Kurogasa fellow!
Kenshin: *suddenly very serious*

Hughes: Look at this picture of my daughter! Isn't she just the most adorable thing! Hahahaha!!! *Suddenly very serious* Now about that string of murders in Central lately...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1