• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DearS & Tenjho Tenge: Worth getting?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Geneon previews for these two (what a miracle, actual trailers not opening sequences). They look pretty good but I thought that I'd check with ya'll and see what YOU say. I did check the Encyclopedia and the overall rating for both was "good."

Are they worth spending my money on or are they just full of fan service and needless fighting?

Thanks!
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenge...Yes, your description seems to work pretty well. The series hardly completes the story, and it is big fighting/fan-service romp.

DearS, fan-service yes, fighting no. It's a comedy/romance kind of thing, similar to chobits(though a good deal more ecchi). I thought it was pretty funny, enjoyed the fan-service stuff but overall I agree that it's just a "Good". Maybe the manga is better, the ending was ok but much more could have definitely be said.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Defitnitly Tenjou Tenge is worth getting. I hate it when people give it a lower rating because its unfinished. Its unfinished because the story for the ending wasn't written by the manga. So instead of fillers they stopped the show. Isn't that what people want. No fillers. So treat it like a first season. The season actualy has every thing.
1. Great fight choreography/
2. Super character designs
3. Character development for every body, sometimes your favorutie character doesn't get enough but thats because its for later....
4. great humor
5. a very complex and exciting love story.....
hey what else do you need
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
Defitnitly Tenjou Tenge is worth getting. I hate it when people give it a lower rating because its unfinished. Its unfinished because the story for the ending wasn't written by the manga. So instead of fillers they stopped the show. Isn't that what people want. No fillers. So treat it like a first season.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the anime is "unfinished" by what I take to mean there really isn't a clear or even semi-clear ending but if I get the manga, I can continue on and get the desired "ending."???
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenjho Tenge is worth getting.

Keep in mind that a lot of people compair Tenjho Tenge with Ikki Tosen as it another High School Fighting anime. However at least Tenjho Tenge has much better story, and it was not just over flowing with fan service.

Tenjho Tenge = Martial Arts with Fan Service.
Ikki Tosen = Fan Service with Martial Arts.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
While the story is incomplete, Tenjho Tenge is nice while it lasts, and the fanservice isn't that bad. The TV series ending is rather open ended but not necessarily bad. I can't speak for the OVAs since I didn't see them. I'd say read the manga, but CMX raped it. The way they are editing now, they'll have to remove entire pages in later volumes.

As for DearS... it's rental material at best. There are some cute and humorous moments, but nothing worth purchasing. The story (what little there is) is incomplete as well.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

Tenjho Tenge it is!

I'll do a pass on DearS
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
In fact i will tell you the beauty of Tenjou Tenge it ends on a brilliantly done episode with plenty of action and humour.

Also its like an end of a season. Treat it like a season and you will enjoy.

And trust me the only reason why you might not like the ending is that you loved the show and you want more........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1