• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Mononoke

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
does the dvd have cuzzing and is it uncut or edited if it is uncut are subtitles for the japanese language track accurate
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
cuzzing...Oh you mean cussing, like saying swear words right? I don't remember hearing or seeing any in the subtitles. No, it's not edited (Disney wouldn't dare edit a Ghbili film), and I think the subtitles are fairly accurate, even if I don't know any Japanese. The translation seems fluent and Disney usually doesn't do a cheap job with Ghibli anyway.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
No swearing that I remember either - not Miyazaki's style to use adult language in his films, he generally doesn't write situations that requires it. The translation is considered one of the better and more careful translations out there, done by Neil Gaiman.

If you're asking about the dub in order to decide to buy or not buy, my opinion is that you won't have any regrets from a language/translation standpoint. Actually, my opinion is that you could buy it without any regrets, other than possibly not liking the adventure/fantasy genre as a whole. It's a very well-done movie in any language, and certainly one that any anime fan should have at least watched, if not own.
Squall2600

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
cause i remember watching it on tcm a while ago in japanese and they said bastard so i guess they dont cuss in english
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:
cause i remember watching it on tcm a while ago in japanese and they said bastard so i guess they don't cuss in english

are you sure, i've seen quite a few miyazaki films (spirited away,totoro, whisper of the heart, pocco rosso, ect.) and i've nevr heard (mabe just don't recall) any offensive language of any kind....

though i have yet to see this. so maybe they do swear?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Mononoke's the most "explicit" of Miyazaki's films.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I think Mononoke's the most "explicit" of Miyazaki's films.

well, i think "mature" would be more fit.But that's to be expected, as Monoke is during times of war, whereas the rest of his films are more present day, and i also believe they were aimed at a younger audience.

I think Moving Castle and Monoke are his only films that have "violence" in them (fighting, swords, ect.)
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
What about Grave of the Fireflies? That'd be the most "mature" if not "most explicit". Just the sheer realism already differentiates itself from the mythical setting of Mononoke Hime and the magical setting of Howl's Moving Castle.

As for the swearing, I think I remember a scene where the protagonist cursed at some guy for taking the God's head, but it's just one or two scenes at most and not really worth worrying over.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
That's Takahata though, not Miyazaki.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was also fairly violent compared to the others. Anyhow, aside from some blood, some severed limbs, and jokes about the brothel women I don't remember any other objectionable material in Princess Mononoke. It's really excellent I'd highly recommend it, one of my favorite anime films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1