• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Creator Eiichiro Oda: I Sleep From 2 To 5 A.M.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
What really amazes me is how much correlation there is to sleep and memory retention, and yet Oda has some of the best surprise subtle reappearances of obscure characters in any manga. The guy just does NOT forget background characters. Ever.

I lived on 3 hours of sleep in college, working 2 jobs and doing the full time enrollment, but it drove me to the brink. That he can keep it up is amazing.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hybridbloodszak wrote:
How the hell did Eiichiro Oda get a wife if he can't go outside and has 3 hours of sleep? O.o

Online dating??

They met during a Jump Festa with Oda's Wife cosplaying as Nami. His wife's name is Chiaki Inaba and she is a former model. They have 2 kids still not at the Kindergarten age yet, so his wife is probably busy taking care of them.

Oh and this.

Last edited by Dino_Rabbit on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Dino_Rabbit wrote:
Hybridbloodszak wrote:
How the hell did Eiichiro Oda get a wife if he can't go outside and has 3 hours of sleep? O.o

Online dating??

They met during a Jump Festa with Oda's Wife cosplaying as Nami. His wife's name is Chiaki Inaba and she is a former model.

Oh and this.

Oh, did not know his wife! thanks.

Poor family however, he must dedicate so little to them, does he has kids? I ca only imagine resenting him, we may love his manga but I doubt if he was your dad and did not pass much time with you, you would not resent him a little believing his work and keeping his fans happy was more important than his own family.

Much respect to him.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Time to wrap up One Piece, this can't be healthy.
Dino_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Stop talking about stuff you don't even understand. One Piece just entered the New World, which is the second half of the Grand Line, how can you expect him just to magically wrap up the story when the first half of the Grand Line took like 10+ years?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
He probably takes light naps. Like we used to do in school! Laughing

Or he's addicted to Red Bull, et al.

dan9999 wrote:

Poor family however, he must dedicate so little to them, does he has kids? I ca only imagine resenting him, we may love his manga but I doubt if he was your dad and did not pass much time with you, you would not resent him a little believing his work and keeping his fans happy was more important than his own family.

Just because he works till 2am doesn't necessarily mean he works thru all that time. Maybe he has little sleep because, instead of sleeping an extra 3 hours, he uses those extra hours for family instead. Who knows, but he works at home, doesn't he? He probably takes frequent breaks to play with the kids, change diapers, give baths, feed, etc.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, this kind of crazy sleep schedule is all-too common in the industry, esp. for popular weekly comics. I do remember Akira Toriyama once mentioning that for the first year of working on Dr. Slump he would only sleep one out of every 3 nights, and that he often had to work when he was sick, even forgetting entire comics he drew because he was on the verge of fainting the whole way through (the schedule must have gotten worse when he had to work simultaneously on both Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball). I remember reading that Hiro Mashima sometimes works on multiple serials at once, and that in one week he had to put out more than 40 complete pages and 60 sketch pages, which is unbelievable. I imagine Eiichiro Oda in particular must be under tremendous pressure to perform, considering he's working on such an incredibly popular series. But then, it may be part of the passion for the craft: I remember reading that on his deathbed Osamu Tezuka pleaded that he be allowed to get back to working on his comics. That kind of dedication is incredible, though it treads a fine-line between awe-inspiring and worrisome.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Dino_Rabbit wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Stop talking about stuff you don't even understand. One Piece just entered the New World, which is the second half of the Grand Line, how can you expect him just to magically wrap up the story when the first half of the Grand Line took like 10+ years?

I predict it will end sooner than you think. Laughing
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
One piece is the best for that reason. Just one more decade to go. Oda dono!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
At this rate, he'll get himself killed before we get there. Laughing
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
He should get a lot more sleep he has a lot to go to complete One Piece take of your health Eiichiro Oda think of your family. Sad
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Here is your average Jump mangaka schedule (it's probably similar in other weekly publications) :

http://www.manga-sanctuary.com/IMAGES_NEWS/Image/Planning_de_Shiibashi_Hiroshi.jpg

(don't pay attention to the 'anonymous' on top)

Of course, the amount of sleep is what they get in theory. If they have to work extra hours to finish the weekly file, they'll sleep less and that's how you get authors pushing the limits beyond what seems reasonable. And since they have no weekly break, authors usually fully recharge their batteries in the rare breaks they take or the ones they get when magazines aren't published (Golden Week, obon etc.).
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
... you know, I have wondered about this. There seems to be a huge number of seriously sick manga creators, you hear about a new handful every year - obscure cancers, blood disorders, etc etc. And many manga artists seem to die much earlier than the average japanese life span.

I thought that there could possibly be some lingering effects from the WWII atomic bombings, or something to do with the hyper-industrial high density japanese living conditions ... but during all my thinking, it occurred to me that you would be hearing about huge numbers of bla bla bla diseases in the general population. And I'm sure that would have come up in SOME news, SOMEwhere in the last decade when I was paying attention.

But if Eichiro Oda is typical (not saying he is, it's possible he's a-typical) ... sheee-ite!

Oda-sensei! We want you to be able to finish One Piece eventually, at the quality you have been putting forth for the past few years! And I personally want you to be able to have a lot of years with your wife and child! 3 hours of sleep per night is going to KILL YOU!

... oh god, horrible parallel between Oda's schedule and Luffy's actions in the Prison Break arc ...

Subliminal messages? Are you telling us that you are aware that you are taking years off your life, but you don't care as long as you SMASH THROUGH THE HEAVENS!?

TAnime cryT ODA-CHI! THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! You Beautiful FOOL!

Shocked Why am I talking like this post matters and will reach him? *he screamed to the void*

... oh, when did it hit 9:30? Oh man, I haven't slept ye.... Exclamation

the irony just hit me.

tl;dr - I finally understand why so many manga artists seem to die decades before their time and with horrifying and rare cancers or blood disorders. And I know this after pulling an ironic all-nighter.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Only 3 hours of sleep? That can't be good to have frequently and with Bakuman giving me the clear idea of why overworking and with less sleep is potential fatal to one's health, I hope that this doesn't happen to Oda as well.
bradc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Only 3 hours of sleep? That can't be good to have frequently and with Bakuman giving me the clear idea of why overworking and with less sleep is potential fatal to one's health, I hope that this doesn't happen to Oda as well.

Can't be good for anyone no matter which industry or career they are in. Or just generally staying up late either video gaming or partying with friends.

Not so much different from College/University students pulling all-nighters to turn in their essays and papers for marking with little to no sleep at all. Bakuman also stated why Saikou dropped out of University because the drawing of comics is very time consuming as he cannot juggle with both at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4