• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bincho-tan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I just watched the first two episodes of this anime. It wasn't what I was expecting though. It's listed in the encyclopedia as a comedy. I was expecting comedy. Instead I got some uber cute girl with a log on her head who walks around in the forest surrounded by Disney animals. There was no comedy at all.

I couldn't tell if it was aimed at children or not. It seemed like it. They even had a sing-a-long in one of the extras. It reminded me of a children's story. Except I don't know of any children's stories that include showing the main character shop for panties. I'm not saying that I didn't like this anime. I guess I can say it was "refreshing". It just confused me...
beast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I read on another board that Binchou-tan's target audience consists of two segments: little girls, and adolescents/adults with a lolicon fetish.

Kinda makes more sense now, doesn't it? =p
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
I read on another board that Binchou-tan's target audience consists of two segments: little girls, and male adolescents/adults with a lolicon fetish.

Fixed! Rolling Eyes

But seriously, this series is more of relaxing slice-of-life type like Aria and YKK so it's a good series for anyone who's stressed out. Anyone who are expecting full blown drama will not find it here. I'll defientely watch it time to time though I really want the soundtrack. Cool

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The fact that it's caught the attention of loli/moe-oriented fansub groups shoulda been a clue. Anime hyper

Now, I have a soft spot for oddly cute things, but even then, there are limits. Those eyes are just too damn huge. Back to Aria and Kamichu! for me...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
I read on another board that Binchou-tan's target audience consists of two segments: little girls, and adolescents/adults with a lolicon fetish.

That what I thought but most of the other animes I watch with this target audience aren't quite as kiddy as a Bincho-tan though. So I wasn't quite sure.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Someone happened to show a few minutes of this series at anime club tonight...I can't say I was impressed, and the "rice-churning" scene certainly seemed to scream out "OMG LOLI GUYZ U GOTA WATHC DIS ANIME." Even the guy who brought it in (who can certainly be a disturbing character sometimes) admitted that "Nothing happens, but it's adorable." The thing is, I love über-cute little-girl oriented shows like Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, but:

A) I'm not lolicon--if I want fanservice animes, I'll at least look for characters in their teens, like Girls Bravo, Ichigo 100%, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, etc.

B) Cute is all well and good, but there needs to be some kind of a plot and conflict--Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar does very well with this, and without any serious loli-bait content aside from a few perfectly innocent bubble-bath scenes.

Even the name, "Binchou-tan" is irritating, since -tan is a preschool "cute" variant of -san. I even hear that there's some sort of "-tan culture" now, as if all the moe and loli subgroups weren't enough.

I've heard that Bottle Fairy is also a lolicon-aimed series masquerading as a young-girl-oriented series. Can anyone comment on this? To me, it seems like a bunch of disjointed vignette episodes about the fairies having various adventures, with accompanying costumes Smile But, after finishing TSFS, I need a break from fairy shows for awhile...

So to sum things up, Binchou-tan gets the thumbs-down even from me, a guy who normally loves super-cute anime.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've heard that Bottle Fairy is also a lolicon-aimed series masquerading as a young-girl-oriented series. Can anyone comment on this? To me, it seems like a bunch of disjointed vignette episodes about the fairies having various adventures, with accompanying costumes Smile But, after finishing TSFS, I need a break from fairy shows for awhile...

It's supposed to be Lolicon-aimed. Personally, I don't see any in it. If you're a loli fan there's much better material then Bottle Fairy, which didn't include anything sexual at all. Loli in essence is sexual, so I wouldn't include Bottle Fairy in it. Anyway, I consider loli and chibi to be two different things. Bottle Fairy was more chibi then loli. Chibi form and children in anime are anatomically different, thus they don't always have the same sex appeal.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Even the name, "Binchou-tan" is irritating, since -tan is a preschool "cute" variant of -san. I even hear that there's some sort of "-tan culture" now, as if all the moe and loli subgroups weren't enough.

Hmm, I might be conflating two trends here but I was under the impression that the suffix -tan is often added to cute mascots. So if it's a mascot representing operating systems you would talk of XP-tan or Apple-tan. Of if it's tea brands you might have a girl called Lip-tan (a pun on Lipton).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1