• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cheesiest Anime Ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
For me the cheesiest anime ever is Macross 7.

The main character is a singer in a rock band inside a spaceship and whenever enemy fighters appear, spoiler[he jumps into his red veritech with his guitar, he goes out to space in the middle of the battle and he starts singing. ]

But that's not the cheesiest part. There is a scene later on when the main character bumps into 2 gangs that are about to fight each other, spoiler[so he gets between them and he's like hey guys! let's not fight, let's sing!].

That was when I stopped watching.

What would be the cheesiest anime you've ever seen?

Luminal

Last edited by Luminal on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
CyberViper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I usually find a lot of harem type animes to be cheesy because they're extremely repetative. Hanaukyo Maids was one of the cheesiest i've ever seen. A very young boy finds out he inherits a huge mansion and literally hundreds of maids who will do anything to please him. It was funny for about the first...5 minutes and then it got really old. It was the same thing over and over, very predictable, and very corny.

Rizelmine was defintely also an extremely cheesy anime. It had...a couple funny moments, I admit it, but what wasn't funny was plain rediculous. A really young girl, I forget how old, but really young is brought to some young, but older, boy, who is being forced by the government to marry her. (Or something like that). And her tears are like nitro-glycerin so when she cries everything explodes so he has to be nice to her so he doesn't get blown to bits.
Angelcake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
As big a fan as I am, I'd have to say that alot of Go Nagai's stuff can be rather cheesy.

Though, to be honest, its only considered cheesy now because back then it was considered revolutionary (keep in mind that giant mecha and transforming magical girls were a new concept in anime).

The cheesiest though I've seen is Demon Lord Dante.......period.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought Saint Tail was one of the most cheesiest magical girl anime out there (but a lot of magical girl anime is cheesy, putting Nurse Witch Komugi and Sailor aside.) I mean, it was pretty much a Robin Hood story-line with tons more religeon in it, I found it just boring. I can't remember much of it because I sold my DVD of it years ago, but I know it made me cringe.

And the voices sucked (meaning, both Japanese and English). Confused
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Luminal, there are no Veritechs in Macross 7. Only Variable Fighters (or otherwise called "Valkyries"). Veritechs are in the Robotech universe only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
X The Movie. Usually, I let cheesyness slide when it's a children's anime, but when it comes to anime that's clearly meant for a more mature audience, I expect a little something more from it. Don't get me wrong; I love X The Movie but it seriously needs better scriptwriters. It's like whenever one of the characters dies, the other characters' reaction to their death is, "One of our members isn't here. Oh him? He's dead. Let's move onto our next fight!" But the worst line of all was "Maybe you're right, but I still have people I want to protect!" Nice job acknowledging how the enemy is right in their beliefs and how yours are wrong there, Seishiro.

Last edited by Kouji on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
huh?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
the negima anime was really cheesy. more so than things like pokemon. the theme song alone contributed to a good amount of the cheesiness. not only was it a less than stellar harem anime, but the main charcter was 10 years old. when i watch harem animes i try to put myself in the place of the male lead, pretty impossible this time. the girls were all the same mindless bubbly idiots. the whole thing amounted to a big sickeningly sweet waste of time. i didn't like that not a one of them had normal hair either, it all seemed brighter and "neoner" than even anime hair should be.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it counts as anime, but... Someone at Toonzone recently posted a link to this rare Gundam preview, which is just about the cheesiest four minutes I've ever seen. It's great.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Street Fighter Alpha, definetly Street Fighter Alpha. Not enough fighting, not enough getting to know all the characters, and NOT ENOUGH AKUMA!!! Mad
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Daphne In The Brilliant Blue - Normally i am used to the shows of exposed cleavage in body armour or the spandex tight space suit. However Daphne take this to a new level as all the girls dodge bullets and beat up thugs in extremely revealing swim suits.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
Samurai Pizza Cats. At first, I thought the translation was done intentionally to be Americanized. But I later found out that they actually decided to keep the spirit of the Japanese version by transplanting some of the references to American (plus they were forced to do it because they didn't get the proper translation notes).
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
Blood the Movie - spoiler[I think the plot was she needed to kill some vampires. Generally a plot like that is pretty common, but usually it has a back story to it as well... this one didn't have a story.] Maybe I'll understand more after I watch the series...
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Samurai Pizza Cats. At first, I thought the translation was done intentionally to be Americanized. But I later found out that they actually decided to keep the spirit of the Japanese version by transplanting some of the references to American (plus they were forced to do it because they didn't get the proper translation notes).
I have managed to find some episodes of that in resent times. Like I knew from a freind that had seen the orginal that Big Cheeze was homosexual. How ever it did surpise me on many jokes about Big Cheeze's Sexuality did managed to get pass the US Censors.
Eg. Lost count the number of times I saw Big Cheeze in drag.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
For me the cheesiest anime ever is Macross 7.

The main character is a singer in a rock band inside a spaceship and whenever enemy fighters appear, spoiler[he jumps into his red veritech with his guitar, he goes out to space in the middle of the battle and he starts singing. ]

But that's not the cheesiest part. There is a scene later on when the main character bumps into 2 gangs that are about to fight each other, spoiler[so he gets between them and he's like hey guys! let's not fight, let's sing!].

That was when I stopped watching.

What would be the cheesiest anime you've ever seen?

Luminal

But consider, it's Macross, where the power of song is the greatest power in the universe.

See also: Macross 2, where spoiler[Earth's greatest defence is the "Minmei Defence" which projects a huge hologram of Lin Minmei, and beams her music into enemy cockpits Confused ]

To me, the cheesiest anime ever is probably... I dunno. Dragonball Z. So many of the lines of dialogue were so horribly cheesy, and the plots generally were, also.

For intentional cheese, try Gekiganger III, or Kujibiki Unbalance!
CyberViper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To me, the cheesiest anime ever is probably... I dunno. Dragonball Z. So many of the lines of dialogue were so horribly cheesy, and the plots generally were, also.

Yea, i'm pretty sure there was a line that went something like this...

Vegeta: I'm gonna squash you like a pancake! And I like my pancakes extra-flat!

I think I laughed for like the next hour after hearing that one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3