• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was you're first anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
what i mean is, what anime got you hooked on anime in general? for me, it was elfen lied. The story and power in the art captivated me, and surprised me that i was crying for a hunk of pencil lead and ink. it all goes downhill from there... Laughing

how about you all? what got you into anime?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, you've probably seen me in previous posts. But my first anime was Sailor Moon. I don't really remember what my second was. I just kept on watching Cartoon Network which help solidify my addiction.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I am a long time anime fan for my age (17). It started with Sailor Moon and Dragonball back in 1996, then moved to DragonBall Z in 1999. But when I really got hooked was in 2003 when I started watching anime that my friend brought over. My first series was Burn Up W, followed closly by Dirty Pair Flash. My list since then has grown to almost 70 different series/movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The first two anime I remember watching were the old Akira and original Vampire Hunter D about twelve years ago.

Needless to say, I was only 10 and didn't understand much of what was going on. I just really liked the art/animation and thought the movies felt "cool" because of how much more mature they felt, at least in comparison to G.I. Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

After that, I later got into the Ocean dubbed Dragon Ball Z around junior high (about 1995, I think). Again, I liked the art and animation. But being a little older, I was able to like it for the story and characters as well.

As the years went by and I got older, my tastes never really "evolved" or anything like that. I just became better at grasping and differeniating all the different titles.

To this day, I'm actually not too picky about my anime. Although, there are a few that just don't seem to click with me too well. You can check My Anime to see what some of them are (though a lot of them don't have comments yet Anime catgrin + sweatdrop).
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Universe back when Cartoon Network was airing it. The Neon Genesis Evangelion, which helped push me over to become an Anime fan.
squeakyL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Back in the day, I watched Robotech on TV and thought it was pretty cool, but forgot about it for a few years. At one point, I watched endless waltz on tv as well, but that was also an isolated incident.
Then one day I found Gundam X while randomly going through stuff, thought the name was pretty cool, and checked it out.
It was totally awesome, I struggled to acquire all of them, but eventually I finished that series. After that, I exposed myself to Neon Genesis Evangelion, 08th MS team, and Gundam Wing, all of which I thought were amazing, the former two moreso than the latter.
Later on, I just randomly decided to watch anime again, bought Eva Platinum to start, then I've been watching more and more ever since.
major_pain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke was the first anime I ever saw, and is currently my favourite, but this was way back in the day when I thought it was just another cartoon. The first thing I saw that really got me into anime was Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is kind of ironic because I now hate it.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
For me, it was Naruto. Although i watched heaps of anime before, i didn't notice anime was called 'anime'...so when my friends introduced me to Naruto, thats when i was really hooked on to anime. I reckon watching Naruto was a good start. good action, good storyline but now the fillers are making me get dissapoinnted at Naruto. I Just have to wait for another 10 weeks until all the filler arcs end and then it'll be back to all the naruto goodness Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
The first tv series I saw before I knew it was anime is Vision of Escaflowne way back in 1996.. I got really hooked on anime around high school after my hacker friend showed me some good OVA's of Black Lion, Legend of Crystanina(spelling?), etc. Also I started to watch DBZ and Gundam Wing around that time as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
My first anime was speed racer, but back then I didn't know it was anime, let alone what anime was. After that came Sailor Moon and DBZ. By that time I got to know what anime was and I got into it. Towards the end of the DBZ saga I got out of it because I was bored. I did, however, watch Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe which I loved a lot, yet I still just stopped watching anime.

Until two years ago when a friend I met at college reintroduced me to Naruto which really got me into anime.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
Fushigi Yugi, although Inu Yasha can close.
=Ivan=

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote
It was Robotech. Then Ninja Scroll, GITS and AKIRA.
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
The very first was "Star Blazers" or "Space Cruiser Yamato". I used to hurry home to watch it at lunchtime and then hurry back to school. I think I was hooked after seeing the ship rising from the battered Earth in one of the very early episodes. A number of years ago my best friend gave me the box set of Yamato movies. Originally I saw the dub version on television. I was already into science fiction back then so I guess I enjoyed the concept.

me
Aretak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty new to watching anime actually, so my first experience with it was actually quite a recent series -- Steel Angel Kurumi. Thankfully, I loved the show, and have been hooked ever since.
don'tlookbehindyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
can't remember exactly but I think it was Rurouni Kenshin, but i didn't realize what anime was for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4