• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Post that never was

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This is more directed towards Admins. I'm just a little baffled that my posts keep disappearing. I logged on today to check something I posted yesterday and OMG Shocked Surprised it was nowhere to be found. I was just wondering if you guys are doing this...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's the admins. Sometimes, posts just seem to disappear. It's happened to me as well. I remember one thread where every post but the original post kept disappearing. I think there is some glitch in the database or something.

However, if you broke some rules, it is quite possible your post was simply deleted.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
If for example your topic was, "Hey, do you guys like anime?" and your post was "I do..and you all?" it would be deleted. I've just recently joined as well but have learned any topics/posts without any substance will often be deleted. Kind of good, kind of annoying, it's just there =P
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't think it's the admins. Sometimes, posts just seem to disappear. It's happened to me as well. I remember one thread where every post but the original post kept disappearing. I think there is some glitch in the database or something.

However, if you broke some rules, it is quite possible your post was simply deleted.

Are you sure it wasn't some thread where Nagisa or someone else came in and said "These posts are all list posts, so I deleted them all"? Personally, I'd assume that a post was deleted for being pointless/breaking the rules before blaming it on a database error. Even I've had a few posts deleted for listing Embarassed

In any case, it might be better to contact a mod or admin directly rather than making a thread about it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't some thread where Nagisa or someone else came in and said "These posts are all list posts, so I deleted them all"?

It was in the manga thread a few months ago. No mod ever said anything and the posts were not list posts and did not seem to be violating any rules.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's ahrd to tell when a mod does anything because there's NO notification of it, even to the person modded. There's no PM saying that a post was modified an why, and there's no post in the tread to show that your post had been there but had been erased for some reason, nothing, so it's very baffling sometimes as to why a post might not be there. They really need to change the way they do things around here so that it's more clear when and why the mods choose to act, especially when they mod for things beyond simple flaming and vulgarity.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
I am with you guys I have at least one post deleted a day. Why? I guess they are a list post even when you explain why you say something.

But I guess an explanation has to be at least 50 words long to not be deleted. <---sarcasm
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I don't think so. Personally I've never noticed any of my posts disappear except a few when I first came here and once when it was clearly stated by Nagisa that he deleted the posts. Pretty sure it's the Mods who are doing it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I noticed in two sperate incidents that two posts in both threads kept disappearing.

I assume in one case the posts didn't get on, and the other was being reported by an overzealous otaku whom didn't like any opposing viewpoints and when called to task, promptly complained to the admins that I was picking on them when in reality, i was poviding a counterpoint to thier counterpoint.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, it's ahrd to tell when a mod does anything because there's NO notification of it, even to the person modded.

Once again, I don't presume to speak for Nagi or any of the other mods, but in general, threads will get locked unless they are just really off-base, or there is a serious repeat offender doing the posting. If your thread gets locked and no explanation is left (which there normally is) just check over the rules, as one would tend to think the thread was locked because that's what was violated.

Ohoni wrote:
There's no PM saying that a post was modified an why

Well, unless your post was edited, or since they are edited without comment I miss them, I frequently see posts edited by Nagi (and others) that both show the lines that were edited, why they were edited, and has the initial of the mod that did the editing. This has been standard practice ever since I joined here. If there is a rash of edited posts in which there is no comment left behind to indicate that anything was changed or why, then I would suggest/request Nagi to do so more often. It certainly helps cut down confusion amongst the poster, as well as those of us who end up thinking they are insane and read something which is no longer there.

Ohoni wrote:
and there's no post in the tread to show that your post had been there but had been erased for some reason, nothing, so it's very baffling sometimes as to why a post might not be there.

As I mentioned before, it would seem to me that if your post inexplicably disappears, that you probably should look over the rules to see if you broke one of them. If it does get deleted, then I would expect it is so off-base or off-topic (and you have possibly violated the rules often enough) that it cannot possibly be the topic of decent conversation in the thread it is posted.

I am aware that some people lately seem to have been having problems with completely legit posts seemingly vanishing. If that is, in fact, the case, then perhaps there is a problem with the database.

Ohoni wrote:
They really need to change the way they do things around here so that it's more clear when and why the mods choose to act, especially when they mod for things beyond simple flaming and vulgarity.

Well I agree that explanations are a good thing, I see no need in cluttering up the board, or the PM system with explanations for every mod action. If you read the rules and stickies, and follow what is there, I would imagine you should not run into a problem.

I have had posts deleted several times when entire threads got the axe, and I have had several of my posts receive minor edits over the years. I've never come across the situation where it was not readily apparent why most post was gone, or what was edited and why. Perhaps that situation is unique to me

Forgive me Ohoni, I did not mean to single you out, nor am I criticizing you. Your post merely provide the best points for me to respond to.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Sigh...again and again and AGAIN with this!

As I have stated countless times before, if the offending post carried a minor violation, such as poor grammar or listing, it will simply be deleted, because I simply do not have the time to go and warn every single person (because there are a lot of them) who violate these basic rules. I like to trust that humankind is, for the most part, an animal capable of thinking and looking things up for himself, and that you guys can stop, check the rules, and figure out for yourselves where you went wrong. Only when there is a repeat offender for these sort of things will I actually contact them about it, because there just isn't enough time in the day to PM some 20+ people about minor rule violations (especially when half of them wanna fight with you about how they're above the rules).

If you break a major rule like posting or requesting download links, you can damn sure bet you'll be hearing from me. And it's standard policy on ANN to always provide a reason for locking a thread. But when it comes to some inane one-liner or someone posting just to say "lol watch trigun," it's simply not worth the effort to stop everything I'm doing and remind the person of something they should already know better than to do.

Now can this please be the last time I have to explain this? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I like to trust that humankind is, for the most part, an animal capable of thinking and looking things up for himself, and that you guys can stop, check the rules, and figure out for yourselves where you went wrong

The problem is, when a post is "disapeared", how do we know that anything happened at all? It might have been a net glitch or something. I know for a fact that I have had several posts I thought I made not actually have been made because latency prevented the server from getting the post, or because I closed a window too soon, or something like that.How do I know that a post is missing because you deleted it if there's no indication that anything was done?

That's why every other board in the history of the Internet does not disappear posts, but instead simply clears the body of the message and replaces it with something along the lines of "[This message deleted by Nagisa]".

That way we clearly know that action actually was taken, and that it's not just due to some screw up either on our part or on the part of the Internet.

It would also help if the rules made some sense (No "list" posts? What?), but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Now can this please be the last time I have to explain this?

I would assume yes, so long as it's the last time a post is disappeared. If not, I would deffinitely expect it to come up again and again and again, although not by me.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
Looks like my spelling and grammer may have taken a bit of a hit. Apologies if there are several errors.

Ohoni wrote:

.How do I know that a post is missing because you deleted it if there's no indication that anything was done?

Are you talking about posts made by you, or something along the lines of noticing a post someone else made disappear?

We do keep going over this quite often, but it seems a very simple matter to me. Ohoni, I would appreciate if you would clarify your position based on my response here, because I honestly am not seeing what the issue is.

It seems to me, that if you create posts that are within the standards and rules that any regular ANN poster (and any newbs, assuming they bother to read the rules first) then your post will not be deleted unless the entire thread is axed for some reason. This is where I'm not seeing the issue clearly. It seems to me that you would be aware if your post was not up to acceptable standards (and since the rules are quite simple, even newbs should able to follow them) and hence you would be quite well aware why your post disappeared. Likewise, it seems that you would be aware if your post was legit and proper, hence if it goes missing, there was a glitch or problem with the forums.

Take you specifically as an example Ohoni. If you created a post which simply contained "Rarw!!11 Naruto RoX 111!!," I think that it would not be difficult for you to determine beforehand that such a post would not be around for very long. So when it disappears, you would know why. But if you were to create a good post .. "Hi guys. I had a quick question about the Xephon system in Rahxephon [post continues as such]".. and it disappeared, I would think it would be readily apparent to you that, since the post was completely proper, it would not have been deleted by a mod, so there must have been a problem with the board.

If I'm missing something please point it out, because it seems to me to be a simple matter of taking a bit of personal responsibilty when creating posts and nothing more.

Ohoni wrote:
That's why every other board in the history of the Internet does not disappear posts, but instead simply clears the body of the message and replaces it with something along the lines of "[This message deleted by Nagisa]".

Indeed, there are many who use that method. There are also many boards where the mods go through every evening and clean out 100s of THREADS, instead of posts. I actual would lean towards using [message deleted by..] as opposed to deletion. Since the post was originally there anyway, it shouldn't really make any difference on the boards, unless several posts are deleted in one thread. Then things get a bit cluttered. And I know that it's not just content mods are concerned with, but clutter as well.

Ohoni wrote:
It would also help if the rules made some sense (No "list" posts? What?), but that's neither here nor there.

If this makes me come across as an ass, that is not my intent in the least.. but if you think the rules could be clarified, why don't you make an attempt to do that. I'm certain tempest would be willing to update and clarify the rules if you created something that works...

Ohoni wrote:
I
I would assume yes, so long as it's the last time a post is disappeared. If not, I would deffinitely expect it to come up again and again and again, although not by me.

How often do we end up speculating if this will be the last time that X or Y will not occur again, and how often does it actually end up not occuring? Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
I too have had posts mysterously disappear as well and I'm a stickler for good grammar and spelling. I might make the odd mistake or two but when noticed I will correct them. Some words in "olde English" are spelled differently than the same word in American, so perhaps the spelling Mods aren't aware of this and delete my posts thinking I've spelled favourite colour incorrectly. However, some times I feel it was deleted for political reasons.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I know posts will be deleted if they are dumb but what about if there is nothing wrong with your post? I posted in a thread that was about what movie/show/game you would like to see as an anime and I wrote a good response. Someone even quoted it so there's proof that it WAS there but when I check my post was gone. I guess it was the glitch because I don't think an admin would do it for no good reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3