• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Are there any Sailor Moon fans here? Sailor Moon was the series that got me hooked onto anime and even though there are definetly a lot better anime out there than Sailor Moon, the series will always remain a personal classic in my anime library. The anime had a lot of filler-in episodes and tended to be very repeative and even predictable in some cases, but the show was always still a whole lot of fun and had just a right amount of darker moments in it (like in later episodes of the S and Sailor Stars seasons). The characters are a little stereotypical compared to the characters of today's anime, but they were still very memorable. I think my favorite of the characters has always been Rei. She was always the coolest with her fire powers and her arguments with Usagi were always really cute and funny. Plus, I liked how even though they always argued a lot, Usagi and Rei remained the closests of friends and I think they're still one of the best friendships between anime characters that's out there.

The first season was my favorite season of the anime. It wasn't perfect, but it had the classic storyline and classic characters, and while I think Sailor Stars is the funniest season of Sailor Moon, the first season had a lot of great comical moments in it, too. I also liked the romantic moments in the first season and how it felt more like a fairytale than the other seasons did, and to this day the ending to the first season still makes me want to cry in the Japanese version. Like many Sailor Moon fans, most of my Sailor Moon fandom years were spent watching the English dub on TV, but now that I own all of the Japanese version, I pretty much ignore the dub. The Sailor Moon dub continues to remain on my list of top five worst dubs ever made, but I still respect it for what it is because it did help introduce many Sailor Moon fans to anime.

I also have to admit that I really enjoyed Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live-action series) a lot more than I did the anime. I'll always be a fan of the anime, but the live-action series stayed a lot truer to the original manga, was a lot less predictable and less repeative than the anime, and it also had much better character development. The only things I didn't like about the live-action show was the lack of good special effects (especially in the later episodes), the very confusing last episode, the disappointing Wedding special, and episode zero, but otherwise I love the live-action show a lot. I even liked the inclusion of Sailor Luna. So, what are your thoughts about Sailor Moon?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
son_michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I was into sailor moon a long time ago, I dont watch it any more,but my favorite character was sailor uranus, her attitude and her speed, she deffinetley was the fastest and strongest sailor soldier and she was all buisness, she did what she had to do, she tried to protect the world in the way she saw was right, and she gave up her hopes and dreams to do it.

I loved sailor moon in the first season and the R season but once S came around, I couldn't stand her character. The fact that she would risk billions of lives to save 1.... is wrong. I understood that she believed that she would save all humanity and that she wanted to protect everyone, but uranus was correct when she said"This is War, there's bound to be some casualties" that's how life is, its the truth.

SS made absolutley no sense, there was no point to it

Stars started out good but initially sucked later on

I liked the live action series, I hope it continues
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I too was a sailor moon fan. Also, to make things clear I am a male...lol. But I enojoyed the first season but after that I was out of it. Sailor moon also to me was one of the animes that got me hooked into but my most leading factor was robotech that truely got me hooked.I believe robotech was airing on toonami at the same time Sailor moon was. But thank god they showed them because I've enjoyed so many different types of anime, it's even crazy I would say I hardly watch regular movies anymore. 75% of all my dvds are aniem just because of those two shows....I never was in to Dragonball z to make things clear on that too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen Sailor Moon, but mainly because of Sailor Jupiter. She seems pretty objective, ambtious, very attractive(whoa), and pretty damn powerful. Plus she's tall and I'm about 6'2 myself. I liked the episodes before that awful Pegasus storyline(yuck) and I think this might have helped kill it in the end.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon started my anime addiction. Anime smile I was around... 7 when I saw an episode, but I had to wake up at 6:30 just to watch it. Anime hyper I remember getting tons of Sailor Venus figures because she was my most favorite of them all.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the anime that got me hooked too!

So what if Sailor Moon is the biggest crybaby in anime. At least by Sailor Stars, even though she still cried alot, she had also grown into herself more. She became stronger, she wasn't the same person that she was in the beginning and that is the whole point. To grow and mature.

That and the entire series is just...plain...FUN!
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
The problem with this series...it's not that the dub was good, it's just the fact that I watched the dub SO MUCH. Upon really getting into anime, I found out SM was extremely editted. I think I'll find the dubbed one somewhere just to listen to it again, but maybe eventually get the whole series. I only ever finished the first series and saw bits and pieces of the next part.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
It's true that the first two seasons were severly edited especially the ending of season one. Not to mention the fact that several episodes where left out period. The dub, of course, is complete and certain characters didn't have a sex change. Laughing Wink
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
I used to watch Sailor Moon back in the day. My younger sister was really into it. Me not quite as much. But I didn't hate it like so many other boys did at my age (I think I was around 11 or 12). It was entertaining and my sister liked it when I watched it with her since she had no one else to watch it with and there was no chance in hell my older brother would be caught watching it. I was a bit smitten for Serena though which may have been part of the reason I liked it. It wasn't really one of the leading animes in getting me hooked. That would belong to Pokemon. Although I've been into Japanese video games and origami since I was 4 or 5.
Ucnslowdnce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I used to watch Sailor Moon back in the day. My younger sister was really into it. Me not quite as much. But I didn't hate it like so many other boys did at my age (I think I was around 11 or 12). It was entertaining and my sister liked it when I watched it with her since she had no one else to watch it with and there was no chance in hell my older brother would be caught watching it. I was a bit smitten for Serena though which may have been part of the reason I liked it. It wasn't really one of the leading animes in getting me hooked. That would belong to Pokemon. Although I've been into Japanese video games and origami since I was 4 or 5.

This is pretty much the same exact thing for me. I liked Sailor Moon, it's the first anime I really remember ever watching, but it didn't really get me too hooked. But like I said, it was my first.

Tangent now: I was really into DBZ shortly after that because it was for males, but I still didn't really care about anime as a whole. Sorcerer Hunters is something I saw a few episodes after these two and it moved me a little bit more, but still not enough (incidentally Sorcerer Hunters is now one of my favorite titles). Same with Pokemon. Then I finally watched Adult Swim and was completely taken by Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

Last edited by Ucnslowdnce on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd call myself a Sailor Moon fan...Sailor Moon was one of the first shows that I saw extensively back in the day, and it was Sailor Moon that brought me back into anime 3 years ago, after seeing the movies and collecting the DVDs. Even though I am a guy, I enjoy the fun/cute adventures (though they can be repetitive) and the occasional drama/romance. Contrary to popular wisdom, I'm not a pervert who likes seeing 14 y/o girls in nude transformation scenes and mini-mini skirts. (I even remember explaining this to some Japanese students at school...hai,hai, Seeraa Muun ga shiteiru; dakedo, hentai ja nai yo!)
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
i remember sailor moon!

i watched this before i even knew what anime was Very Happy way back when, man, this and transformers were teh shit!!

venus ftw!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It is my understanding that Sailor Moon is no longer licensed here in the States. Crying or Very sad That's too bad. Sailor Moon is a great introduction into anime and my manga is beginning to fall apart and I can't replace it! Crying or Very sad Laughing
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
It is my understanding that Sailor Moon is no longer licensed here in the States. Crying or Very sad That's too bad. Sailor Moon is a great introduction into anime and my manga is beginning to fall apart and I can't replace it! Crying or Very sad Laughing

scantilations can save a man at times...besides you bought the product once, i say download the broken novels.
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
There are days when I would give anything for one more good episode of Sailor Moon. I often wonder what a new storyline would look like with the updated techniques and a wider colour palette. I saw my first Scout at a science fiction convention. I had never seen cosplay before. So I go into the dealers room and I ask someone with a table full of Moon how many scouts exist. He says nine. I ask "the question". A minute later I am still wondering if I am being put on about Sailor Uranus. So I go to the anime room and check out the series. I am appalled. Young women are watching this stuff? Short skirts, makeup, knee high boots when they transform? I go home totally confused and catch an episode on tv. Then I catch another and another. It is first season and I find myself liking the story. Then I find out that the series has been edited. I eventually get the original releases. Now I have the official releases on dvd. I really wish "adv" had had the use of better masters and I hope someday a higher quality release occurs. Like some others it was the series that really got me into anime. I even liked the live action version. It is not perfect but it did have its momentsspoiler[Evil Mercury !!] and at times I felt that Sawai Miyuu nailed the Usagi Character. There were moments when I said to myself "that is so Usagi".

me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2