• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anime taking over the DVD scene?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:

4. Actually I'm kind of surprised that anime went directly from VHS to DVD (skipping CDs). CDs can hold a decent amount of memory, but I guess it's not enough and DVDs were released not much later anyway (Casette/VHS --> CD/DVD).

Uh, a VCD can only hold 700mb and the quality is pretty horrible because it has a standard bitrate of about 1100. You're expecting maybe 2 episode per CD with poor quality and 2.0 audio track. That's why nobody was using VCD.

The Jump from VHS was greatly. The Jump from DVD to Blu-Ray or HDDVD isn't going to be that big a leap other than except space. You're expecting high definition video and audio quality if your eyes can really notice it. Maybe if the companies is generous, they will add an episode or two more to the standard 4 episode model but companies arn't likely going to raise the disc count greatly just becaue it can hold more data.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Uh, a VCD can only hold 700mb and the quality is pretty horrible because it has a standard bitrate of about 1100. You're expecting maybe 2 episode per CD with poor quality and 2.0 audio track. That's why nobody was using VCD.

The Jump from VHS was greatly. The Jump from DVD to Blu-Ray or HDDVD isn't going to be that big a leap other than except space. You're expecting high definition video and audio quality if your eyes can really notice it. Maybe if the companies is generous, they will add an episode or two more to the standard 4 episode model but companies arn't likely going to raise the disc count greatly just becaue it can hold more data.

VCDs looked far worse than my Super Beta or SVHS which pre-date it. LDs whiich are far older are vastly superior to VCDs. DVDs were not only clearer than VHS, they were also much smaller, much cheaper to manufacture, didn't wear over time, had digital sound, etc. The death of VHS was perhaps the quickest change in popular media format in history. BR and HDDVD don't have that many advantages over regular DVDs and will cost more to manufacture. I believe we will see both formats coexist much like VHS and LDs existed throughout the 80s and 90s. There are always people who are willing to pay insane amounts of money for a "collector's" or "complete" edition. The recent R2 releases of Advent Children proves that. Even in the US there have been higher priced versions of Samurai 7 and .Hack for those who are willing to cross that $30 mark. I remember paying $150 for my copy of Critereon Brazil on LD and $100 for my copy of Nightmare before Christmason LD. Bandai is even starting the Honneamise line with a limited version of Patlabor for close to $100. Of course there will always be an affordable alternative, but the market has always been ready for at least 2 formats.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
VCDs looked far worse than my Super Beta or SVHS which pre-date it. LDs whiich are far older are vastly superior to VCDs. DVDs were not only clearer than VHS, they were also much smaller, much cheaper to manufacture, didn't wear over time, had digital sound, etc. The death of VHS was perhaps the quickest change in popular media format in history.

Actually, DVD started coming out early/late 2000 (or earlier, can't remember). Wink Not many people had them yet because they were still buying VHS. My family got our first DVD player in 2001 because we just discovered how much better it was than a VHS one at the time when we borrowed it from my dad's buddy. Besides the TV that has a VHS player in it, we don't even own VHS anymore. But the masscre of VHS took a little longer than that, I remembering talking to my friends in 2004 who just got their DVD players then.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
The only problem with digital media, is that if copyright holders have their way, you're going to have to pay through the teeth for features you already get with tangible media.

Some execs have even been talking about not allowing you to pause or rewind downloaded digital media, and only allow it to be played once before paying for another "one use" copy.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Nobody uses VHS anymore. Get with the times.

WHOA WHOA WHOA
I friggin use VHS buddy! I tell ya that whole DVR thing is bullcrap. For instance: why should I purchase Season 1 of the Boondocks when I can jist record it off of AS as it airs? They only edit two words and they blurr genatalia and urination. I can say the two words that they edit anytime I want and I'm not a pervert or a pedophile so if they blur breasts and penises I couldn't really care. See. Now why should I pay $99 for a DVR and then another $10 a month when I have the excellent invention of the VCR at my disposal?
Common Sense HP +40
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Nobody uses VHS anymore. Get with the times.

WHOA WHOA WHOA
I friggin use VHS buddy! I tell ya that whole DVR thing is bullcrap. For instance: why should I purchase Season 1 of the Boondocks when I can jist record it off of AS as it airs? They only edit two words and they blurr genatalia and urination. I can say the two words that they edit anytime I want and I'm not a pervert or a pedophile so if they blur breasts and penises I couldn't really care. See. Now why should I pay $99 for a DVR and then another $10 a month when I have the excellent invention of the VCR at my disposal?
Common Sense HP +40

Not all anime airs on TV and I'd rather have the better quality and more compact DVD. I never mentioned anything about DVR though. You're in the minority anyway if you are still using VHS. I was making a general statement that people don't use VHS anymore. The only people I know who do use it are old people and apparently you now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Actually, DVD started coming out early/late 2000

The first North American DVDs were released in 1997. In Japan they came out in late 1996. (Source)

CPM's Battle Arena Toshinden was the first ever anime DVD released, in May 1997 (Source: Anime on DVD)

Randall wrote:
DVDs ... didn't wear over time

True they don't wear out over time, but DVDs, just like CDs and LDs suffer from rot. The glue holding the layers together breaks down over time. That why that CD you haven't listened to in 10 years and doesn't have a scratch on it, won't play.

DVDs, and more recent CDs, as well as the higher quality recordable material are less likely to suffer this, but no one has claimed to hav released a "rot proof" disc yet.

-t
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The first North American DVDs were released in 1997. In Japan they came out in late 1996. (Source)

CPM's Battle Arena Toshinden was the first ever anime DVD released, in May 1997 (Source: Anime on DVD)

Anime smile + sweatdrop Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I saw them start coming out in early 2000s, so I picked that year. Anime hyper Sorry.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I bought my LD/DVD combo back in 1998. By 1999 the Borders in San Francisco that I worked at had stopped all VHS sales. I believe that the Tower Video in San Francisco also stopped their VHS sales about the same time. This might have happened at a later date in the rest of the country, but by 2000 it was getting hard to find VHS in San Francisco. Hence why I see it as a quick sweep.

tempest wrote:

True they don't wear out over time, but DVDs, just like CDs and LDs suffer from rot. The glue holding the layers together breaks down over time. That why that CD you haven't listened to in 10 years and doesn't have a scratch on it, won't play.

DVDs, and more recent CDs, as well as the higher quality recordable material are less likely to suffer this, but no one has claimed to hav released a "rot proof" disc yet.
-t

I've yet to see any rot on any of my over 1000+ DVDs, and only have issues (which might be rot) on 2 CDs. I have seen laser rot on at least 6 of my laser discs, and I own fewer than 300 of them. My copies of Interview With the Vampire, Lawrence of Arabia and To Die For were rotted within a couple of years of pressing. From what I understand rot is created by oxidation from air within the plastic. Until DVDs are made in a complete vacuum (outer space factories) laser rot will be a reality. From what I understand DVD and CDs smaller size makes them less prone to rot. My original point was that DVDs have a clear advantage in durability over LDs and VHS.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
That's why nobody was using VCD.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. Most anime licensors in Taiwan still produce anime in VCD along with DVD; in some rare cases there are titles with VCD only -- older titles licensed and produced in VCD era but didn't sell well enough so when DVD technology is available they don't remake them in DVD, while unsold VCD are still available at very low prices (about US$3 each; yes, they are licensed and legal).

Most of them are dub-only versions for younger children and their less technology-informed parents: you insert a VCD into any DVD or VCD player, it autoplays; a DVD has a menu screen, which is quite difficult to operate (I'm not kidding) for younger children and techno dummies. Another source of customers come from long-distance buses and aircrafts: the difference in quality does not show up on tiny screens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

I have pressed CD's that might be approaching 20 years of age by now and yet I've never had any pressed disc fail on me unless someone stored it improperly or scratched it up too much. CDR's, CDRW's, DVDR's, and DVDRW's on the other hand have failed on me so many times I've lost track.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
I was a huge advocate for VHS back in the day when DVD first came out. The reason being was that I didn't want to re-spend all that money I'd spent on my VHS anime collection converting over to DVD, which at the time was an untested format. Obviously you have to change with the times and I'm now a DVD collector as I was a VHS collector back in the day (still an LD collector though if I can find good stuff). DVD is a much better format with clearer picture, sound, multiple languages, extras and is a much sturdier product. I prefer anime to be on DVD. Not that I don't still have a soft-spot for VHS as it was the only readily available format for anime in the US for the longest time. But, DVD isn't without it's problems. Some of them seem to be the same ones that plagued VHS as well with the PAL/NTSC formats. I'd say DVD is a lot worse off in that respect as VHS didn't have region coding as well as the PAL/NTSC issue. Add to that, compatability problems with other DVD players and/or DVD-ROM/R/RW drives and dealing with bad encoding, possible laser rot and you've got about as many (if not more) problems with DVD as you did VHS. To me though, the biggest problem is the region coding/PAL/NTSC issue.

I don't understand why they have to lock out someone from purchasing something from another country as long as I pay the proper channels. To me, I should be able to watch whatever I want to watch from wherever I want to watch as long as I pay the legitimate distributor for said title and don't do anything stupid or illegal with it. I wouldn't be able to do this obviously if they hadn't created region free DVD players but, the question then is why have region coding at all? DVD is better than VHS in that regard as well though. I can buy a DVD player that plays all regions and formats of DVD's without much trouble but, doing that was a lot more difficult having to probably end up buying a power converter to make up for the different electricity formats, if I wanted to purchase a PAL VCR.

Grant it, most people aren't crazy enough to spend more on another DVD player if they already have one unless like I said, they're crazy or dedicated (of which I consider myself both). To me, it kinda falls along the same lines as what Sony most recently got into trouble with for the PS3, claiming that they wanted to make it so that once you play one game on one system, that was it; it was geared for that system and that system only. Why limit people to what they can do with a product as long as they've paid the proper people for it and aren't making illegal copies or doing anything else illegal with it? Now this isn't a bash on DVD. As I stated above, it is a much better format with more pros than cons.

I just hope in the future they get smart and cease lock out codes and different formats, and start focusing on world wide sales compared to domestic only. I hope I've added something to the conversation. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
I'd say DVD is a lot worse off in that respect as VHS didn't have region coding as well as the PAL/NTSC issue.

Actually, VHS did have region coding. I know this because when I lived in Italy, I couldn't buy any Italian movies because it wouldn't work on my VCR. So they've been doing that for awhile.

Even in a Simpsons episode, Homer complains about how a British VHS not being able to be played in an American VCR. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:
I'd say DVD is a lot worse off in that respect as VHS didn't have region coding as well as the PAL/NTSC issue.

Actually, VHS did have region coding. I know this because when I lived in Italy, I couldn't buy any Italian movies because it wouldn't work on my VCR. So they've been doing that for awhile.

Even in a Simpsons episode, Homer complains about how a British VHS not being able to be played in an American VCR. Wink

Because UK videos are PAL, while American videos are NTSC, thus they don't work. There wasn't ever region coding, there was just NTSC/PAL things.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
the reason you were getting vhs for nothing is because of dvd. i have some video tapes in my closet only because I'm too lazy to throw them away. only one I'll probably keep is my copy of the Fist of the North movie star since it's not on dvd for some stupid reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3