• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fanservice ruins ending

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
It's more of a rant for losing such a potentially great series but you're welcome to share your own experiences where fanservice ruined the ending

So I just got around to finishing Rozen Maiden Traumend, a much anticipated anime for me since I really enjoyed Rozen Maiden, but I can't help but be thoroughly disappointed by the ending.

For anyone for whom the ending is not fresh enough, here's a very short summary:

spoiler[The dolls become eliminated one by one in the Alice Game, then all except two revive again at the end.]

Now, the reason I believe fanservice ruined the ending was because obviously spoiler[the way the ending was going towards was more of a tragic side than everybody-revive-and-be-happy. I would have rather preferred an Air or Chrno Crusade-like ending than the cliche "happy ending". But Traumend was neither happy nor sad at the end - they all revive, but they decide to keep two killed. This is what I believe to be a "compromise" between the "true" ending and fanservice. I believe they wanted both, which ultimately ruins the end of the anime, losing all that great character development and comedy they had going in Rozen Maiden]

I haven't really had problems with fanservice, since most of it is just extra-ecchi content or something like that, and not really mess too much with the plot. But to ruin an ending like that is just... sad.

I've also never had problems with the typical "useless male character" thing, since that's what makes those harem anime so much fun, but they really didn't need that crap in Traumend. spoiler[I mean, come on, he was useless till the VERY END. All he did was "talk" with Rozen. Rozen would've revived those dolls even if Jun didn't exist. And what the hell is up with him saying "omg I'm useless, I'm useless" - stfu already. Usually, that kind of statement in anime by the male character himself means that he's actually going to DO something - but he never does.]

/rant

Oh yeah! I must mention this about the fight scene:

spoiler[The fight scene between Shinku and Bara-suishou where they use all the powers of the other dolls was AWESOME. Anime needs more of that kind of action.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
It's more of a rant for losing such a potentially great series but you're welcome to share your own experiences where fanservice ruined the ending

Don't complain about things you are stealing, it's illegal to download fansub, so if they ruin your viewing exprience then don't watch. I mean why not for the DVD release here? And if not going to be license then you are lucky enough that someone fansub it, you need to just deal with it or learn to speak Japanese. You can't complain about things that are free, I didn't complain about how long it took for monster to be release, that life get over it.

Delta Kiral
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Don't complain about things you are stealing, it's illegal to download fansub, so if they ruin your viewing exprience then don't watch. I mean why not for the DVD release here? And if not going to be license then you are lucky enough that someone fansub it, you need to just deal with it or learn to speak Japanese. You can't complain about things that are free, I didn't complain about how long it took for monster to be release, that life get over it.

Delta Kiral

Is the OP known to not speak Japanese? I fail to see where fansubbing comes into this, otherwise. And anyway, this criticism is utterly irrelevant to the show itself. Either the ending to the story was good, or it wasn't.

As for my "ruined ending" it would be All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku Dash. It was a poor adaptation of the original story, with mediocre animation and a schizoid tone. But the last ten seconds of the show just killed it for me.

spoiler[I'd hated Non-chan, the too-old-for-her-years neighbor child until I realized towards the end that she was twitting Ryu to get him over his shyness, and actually cared about him. So in the epilogue, when he comes back after several years and meets her older version, from the way they interacted, I thought the writers had made a gutsy call. The romantic interest wasn't Nuku Nuku; it had been Non-chan all along, who had been waiting to grow up for Ryu. I was impressed, I didn't expect that twist. But in the last ten seconds they cop out and Nuku Nuku shows up again, evidently rebuilt by his dad.] I was seriously cheezed off about that.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Azathrael wrote:

Delta Kiral

Um, Azathrael said fanservice ruined the ending, not fansubs.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
He is criticizing the material wich everyone has a right to do regardless of the method of aquisition. But why did the OP say fanservice? The ending of Traumend is what is called a spoiler[reset], its not fanservice at all.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Now, the reason I believe fanservice ruined the ending was because obviously spoiler[the way the ending was going towards was more of a tragic side than everybody-revive-and-be-happy. I would have rather preferred an Air or Chrno Crusade-like ending than the cliche "happy ending". But Traumend was neither happy nor sad at the end - they all revive, but they decide to keep two killed. This is what I believe to be a "compromise" between the "true" ending and fanservice. I believe they wanted both, which ultimately ruins the end of the anime, losing all that great character development and comedy they had going in Rozen Maiden]

Popular theory, though, is that Träumend was not meant to be a definitive ending to the series, but instead a means of bringing the anime more in-line with where the manga is currently at. spoiler[As I understand it, Träumend wrapped up in Japan right as Peach Pit's manga version featured Kirakishou (the real Rozen Maiden off of which Enju based Barasuishou) revealing her true name. There was no Barasuishou in the manga, but rather Kirakishou using the alias Baraotome to commit similar acts. Also in the manga, SouseiSeki and HinaIchigo were already killed off, so the only ones actually left are Shinku, SuiseiSeki, Kanaria, Suigintou, and Kirakishou.] To have a spoiler[false Alice Game] wrap up the anime's second season brings closure to that set of episodes and that specific story arc, all the while re-aligning the series as a whole for a possible, more manga-faithful, third season later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asuka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma, fanservice is anything meant to please the fans. In this case, spoiler[bringing several of the characters back to life] seemed like fanservice, although as Nagi's post shows it was actually to realign things with the manga.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah so I should've expected Rozen Maiden to organize its seasons similar to FMP. I thought that was the end of the series, from how they presented the kind of spoiler["look at everyone alive and well and going to live happily ever after" ending. I got the impression that it didn't leave anything to be continued.]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
spoiler[I got the impression that it didn't leave anything to be continued.]

There's actually plenty to be continued. spoiler[The achievement of Alice, the true motives of Kirakishou and Laplace's Demon, and Suigintou's relationships with Shinku and Megu to name some of it.] They could easily spin one final season out of that, if not more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1