• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
naruto 170

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
who seen? it was pretty cool. that girl being the fish monster was wierd but kinda predictable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Naruto filler is cool? I stopped watching since the fillers started. Manga is better anyway.
Omei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
its not a filler. it continued the mission that they were on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a filler because it's not in the manga.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
A filler would refer to content created for the Anime that was not present in the Manga. This includes things such as movies or the current arc/arcs of Naruto. Sometimes the fine line between these things are blurred, but it's safe to say that if it doesnt happen in the respective Manga, it's "filler"
Omei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
oh, ok.
Fui

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Omei wrote:
who seen? it was pretty cool. that girl being the fish monster was wierd but kinda predictable.

From the specificity of this post (and your icon), I'm going to take a daring assumption and say your interest in anime lies almost completely in Naruto right now, and not much else. You might want to consider Naruto fansite forums rather than ANN (all anime) forums, it might serve you better. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

Maybe I was wrong for clicking on a thread entitled "naruto 170" but have you considered using the 'spoiler' button for things that could be spoilers? Now I'm going to be looking for a girl that will be a fish monster in the upcoming episodes I haven't seen. Not that I really care though since naruto sucks pretty bad lately, just something to consider. I thought "curry of life" was bad but "ryouri ninjas" takes the cake...
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well my friends and I agree that the past two Naruto episodes have been better content wise than the previous fillers, for various reasons. There is actual action and interesting fighting in these episodes, even though it wasn't a lot. They also spoiler[brought back Anko and the cursed seal, which was mentioned before but just plain forgotten. They also shows Anko's memories with Orochimaru, which they kinda didn't really touch on before (or they did and we just forgot). They also showed Sasuke! Was I hallucinating, but i'm pretty sure that's who it was.] Anyway, the content is better and they've at least been interesting...so now I actually want to see the next Naruto. First time that's happened since the fillers started.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
This does seem to be an interesting filler arc at least. To me this is what filler arcs should be used for, to expand on characters that wouldn't otherwise be expanded on.

The Bleach filler arc seems to be quite a bit better though, as it seems like it will actually be a single, long format side story, and it appears that Kubo Tite has significant involvement in the plot and art style (as opposed to Naruto where all the filler-specific characters look like crap).
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Omei wrote:

From the specificity of this post (and your icon), I'm going to take a daring assumption and say your interest in anime lies almost completely in Naruto right now, and not much else. You might want to consider Naruto fansite forums rather than ANN (all anime) forums, it might serve you better. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

Maybe I was wrong for clicking on a thread entitled "naruto 170" but have you considered using the 'spoiler' button for things that could be spoilers? Now I'm going to be looking for a girl that will be a fish monster in the upcoming episodes I haven't seen. Not that I really care though since naruto sucks pretty bad lately, just something to consider. I thought "curry of life" was bad but "ryouri ninjas" takes the cake...

I doubt he knows the rules let alone the spoiler tag... Then again I think he'll just kind of disappear after a while like a hundred others.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Its not filler at all. Its giving us important back story and character development. Typical filler doesn't do that.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Its not filler at all. Its giving us important back story and character development. Typical filler doesn't do that.

Typical filler doesn't, sure, but it's still filler though, as it's diverging from the canon established in the comics. Not to say that there isn't filler thats bad (the Bardock Special and Trunks TV special from DBZ, for instance, is good), but it doesn't change what it is.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
The Bleach filler arc seems to be quite a bit better though, as it seems like it will actually be a single, long format side story, and it appears that Kubo Tite has significant involvement in the plot and art style (as opposed to Naruto where all the filler-specific characters look like crap).

I agree. I'm actually very interested in the Bleach filler arc, which actually doesn't have random missions, but has a plot to the story. I haven't watched any Naruto fillers, but I heard they really ruined the anime quite a bit from some people.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it's fair to say that this thread is riddled with spoilers. I'm not tagging this stuff, so read at your own parrel.

Quote:

Filler is filler is filler. If it's not in the manga, or it's based off of manga Omake, then it's filler. That isn't to say that it can't be GOOD filler, which I think that this arc seems to be, and some of the other arcs were good in some ways as well, but it's filler none the less.

Quote:
I haven't watched any Naruto fillers, but I heard they really ruined the anime quite a bit from some people.

The Naruto ones have some serious issues. For one thing, I doubt Kishimoto had much creative impact on it (I'm sure he probably had some veto power, but I doubt he did any of the designs or story work), as the original characters are all fairly ugly, and not at all in his style.

For another, the plot sort of stagnates a bit, and actually reverts most of the characters to pre-"Hunt for Sasuke" levels, with Naruto being the annoying and kind of bratty guy he was, which sort of hurts the overall progression of the character.

It's kind of like the pre-"hunt" filler, in which someone who'd only watched the anime commented that Sasuke was getting beat on, and that he seemed poorly characterized, and this was true, but it was necessary because in the anime they went from him losing against Gaara in the chunnin exam, to him getting pwned by Itachi, and then he wakes up in the hospital, fights Naruto, gets depressed by all this suckage, and then the Sound Genin make him an offer he can't refuse.

Shoehorning the race arc in there basically jumped the tracks on that, discarding all the previous suckage and reseting Sasuke to his pre-chuunin exam relationship with Naruto and Sakura, fairly happy, friendly rivals, but then by the end of it they had to re-establish that he felt himself falling behind Naruto, and also put him back in the hospital so they could have their fight scene uninterrupted.

The same is happening with the current filler, in that they basically stalled Naruto's character arc, and so as to not spoil the character he'll be once the manga picks back up, they reverted him to his pre-hunt personality and power level (note that he hasn't kyubiied out once since, except at the minor "Neiji fight" levels), losing all the responsibility and temperance he'd gained through that arc.

I'm not a fan of the filler, however I do accept it's inevitability, since when the filler first started they'd only had about 10 episodes that they could concievably film before catching up to the manga. At this point they have maybe 30-50, depending on how they stretch it (I imagine they will flesh out some of the middle a bit).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1