• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
IGPX Season 1 afterthoughts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well,anyone truthfully enjoyed it? heh..it actually surprised me,I thought really a big change in normal Toonami series',Yet some might think season 2 might be repeative,but I think it'll be intresting. as in my real thoughts in simple words? Facepace,Slightly refreashing and as cool as it gets. reminded me when Outlaw Star and BlueSub. #.6 was on long ago,...
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Well,anyone truthfully enjoyed it? heh..it actually surprised me,I thought really a big change in normal Toonami series',Yet some might think season 2 might be repeative,but I think it'll be intresting. as in my real thoughts in simple words? Facepace,Slightly refreashing and as cool as it gets. reminded me when Outlaw Star and BlueSub. #.6 was on long ago,...

would this be refrencing the original 10 or so episode series? because that was quite good. However, i greatly dislike this newer version, envoking racing. I enjoyed that OAV greatly, it was well drawn and executed. I want more of that, less of this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I think A LOT of people liked the first premise of IGPX with the mecha fighting battles. I find the first premise amusing as well, and I'm quite surprised that series is THE most action packed series Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train has ever done. It helps since it's only 5 min. per episode, and they didn't do the usual "blankly staring moments" (I'm looking at you, Noir Confused).

The newer IGPX I found rather entertaining, and there were some sweet eye-candy moments when the mechs are fighting; that last episode definetely delivered it. And not to mention, it's one of Bang Zoom's better dubs of which I immensly enjoyed. My only gripe is that it's ridiculiously predictable, and I can almost predict what's going to happen in the next season.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
It was cool for the first episode but then the repitition set in. =/
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I thought it was awesome that Andre turned out to be the Rocket.

Season 2 could be interesting because Takeshi will probably let the success get to his head. So it will be an interesting internal conflict. He will have to bounce back from his over-inflating ego crush him.

I'm hoping for a Fontine/Takeshi/Liz love triangle as well Smile .
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
I thought it was an ok series. This last episode was the only one in which I found the race itself to be rewarding. Something about the complexity of the CG robots makes the battles really confusing and somewhat pointless to me, similar to that puppet show earlier tonight. I think the series would really benefit if they made the mechs more simplistic in design, and maybe cell-shaded and lit them differently so that there would be more contrast and their motion would be easier to differentiate. That's a real problem when you build mechs that don't have a strictly human shape to them, the human mind doesn't do as good a job of "filling in the blanks" as it does when using humanoid models.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I think A LOT of people liked the first premise of IGPX with the mecha fighting battles. I find the first premise amusing as well, and I'm quite surprised that series is THE most action packed series Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train has ever done. It helps since it's only 5 min. per episode, and they didn't do the usual "blankly staring moments" (I'm looking at you, Noir Confused).

The newer IGPX I found rather entertaining, and there were some sweet eye-candy moments when the mechs are fighting; that last episode definetely delivered it. And not to mention, it's one of Bang Zoom's better dubs of which I immensly enjoyed. My only gripe is that it's ridiculiously predictable, and I can almost predict what's going to happen in the next season.

did they ever slate a dvd release for the original miniseries? i'd hate to have to try and find a download...anyone know of a DVD release on the original fighting series?
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
The series is coming out on DVD later this month. A special edition pack comes out in March. Volume 2 in April.

I think the special edition version might have the original miniseries in it. Though I'm not totally sure.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
The series is coming out on DVD later this month. A special edition pack comes out in March. Volume 2 in April.

I think the special edition version might have the original miniseries in it. Though I'm not totally sure.

well i only want the original. the rest is not for me.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:

well i only want the original. the rest is not for me.

Rolling Eyes

Whatever. I don't know what's so special about the micro-series. Considering the actual series is superior on every level.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I never saw the original series, although I remember seeing comercials for it, and figured it had just never materialized. What made it any good?
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, it was alright. I thought the coolest part was hearing Haley Joel Osment post-puberty voicing Takeshi. I thought that was pretty surprising.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
He's like 18 now. How'd you expect him to sound?

Peoples' voices change as they grow older.

Haley Joel Osment's film career has really taken in a dip in the last few years. He hasn't done a real live action movie since Secondhand Lions.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the series even though I didn't have high hopes for it after they pushed it back to 10:30 a while ago. I was just personally glad that Toonami had finally reached back into thier old roots with robot mecha fighting again because we haven't seen any of that for years (on Toonami anyway I know that they still air Big O and are currently airng Eva on AS). Maybe when season 2 debuts they can air it right after Teen Titans or Naruto instead of dead last in the schedule line up. I'm not saying that it can top or replace "Gundam-anything" (except Seed, damm that Gundam Seed...) in my book, but I think that the show is good enough to deserve a better time slot and more advertising.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Haley Joel Osment's film career has really taken in a dip in the last few years. He hasn't done a real live action movie since Secondhand Lions.

Yeah. but at least he's not on crack. Voice acting is a good job, and he's good at it. That should tide him over until he gets out of his awkward teen years, then he can get back to mainstream stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2